• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Topographic Maps for GPS

wabbit

Reaction score
Are any of you using topographic maps with your gps.

With the abundance of hills around Dallas (read with sarcasm) I was thinking topographic maps would be helpful when planning rides. Since curves seem to happen around hills.

Can the Topo maps be used in that way?

-wabbit

I use the topo version of the Mapsource maps on my gps, but it's road info is kind of old. It's cool on Lime Creek road to know how sharp the next turn will be though.

I use the topo side of it more when I'm off road.

:tab I have found the Topo maps to be more accurate than the old Roads & Rec software. The newer City Select may be better, but it forces you to zoom WAY in before you can see the smaller roads. The Topo maps let you see a larger area at higher detail which makes it much easier to lay out routes.

are the roads labelled on the topo maps?

Could you post a screen shot?

wabbit said:
are the roads labelled on the topo maps?

Could you post a screen shot?

Yes, they are labeled. Kind of small though. You want a screen shot of the gps, right? I can do either.

Yes, they are labelled. But in the software, if you put the mouse pointer over a road, it will show you the road name.

Here is the topo map

And here is the City Select

Notice that they are both set to the 10 mile scale and the images are about 1024 X 768 size. To get even close to the Topo detail in the City Select software, you have to go all the way down to the .3 mile scale!! Very annoying when you are trying to plan routes on backroads. Of course, the other side to this is that a given area of Topo maps takes up a LOT more memory than the same area in City Select.

Adios,

Okay, Scott got the pc view of the software. On the unit itself it is similar. I have a Vista which is a handheld black and white. I've got some different zoom levels. If you are stopped and panning with the cursor, it will show the road name if it isn't already showing. One of these pics shows that. If you have one of the color units and/or a bigger screen it will look a little different.

300feet.jpg
800feet.jpg
thirdmile.jpg

halfmile.jpg
onemile.jpg

I had to go to a panning mode to get an interesting area. Normal use you wouldn't see the arrow on the display. You can also zoom in closer. I vary by the speed I'm going.

My display looks just like yours.

How did you make those images?

Adios,

What GPS units are you discussing? I just got a bonus at work and plan to invest in a GPS (heading over to take a second look at the other [Garmin] GPS thread).

I found it odd that the larger Garmin have a basically horizontal screen, when I would think vertical would make more sense to see more of where you are going...

For that reason I am leaning toward a square screen vs. the rectangular... and those B&W screens look nice (though I plan to buy color).

But I do like to topo concept...

If you are wanting a paper book version, you might check out the Mapsco - Roads of.... seires. I know the Colorado comes with contours, there is also a Gazetter series maps by Delorme. I have seen these at Mapsco also and they typically have contours on them.

Here is the info on the Texas Gazetter.
Scale - 1:400,000 (1"=6.3 miles)
Contour Interval - 200'
Each page covers - 61.7 miles x 89.1 miles
GPS - Tick marks
Index -Placenames & physical features (rivers, creeks, airfields, bayous, etc.)
Street Map - 100 cities & towns
Pages - 126 pp. of maps, 168 pp. in all
Copyright - 2003

Here is a sample image of the Gazetter map:
texas.gif

Here is a sample image of the Oklahoma Gazetter map which shows more contours:
oklahoma.gif

If you want detail, you really have to go for the USGS Quadrangle Maps. They are topographic maps at 1:24,000. I used to work at a art & engineering supply store where we sold these (in Oklahoma) and there is a master index where you can just order the maps that you are interested in. I think the Mapsco store can handle these for you also. On the Mapsco locations page there is a 20% off coupon good for in-store use.

Yep, bought the Texas Gazetter but it's kind of hard to cary around and everytime I pull it out, it gets blown away...

Good for pre-trip planning though...

I have the latest city select, and the U.S. topographic from garmin.

The detail works like scott said, but the city slect has names on many more small roads where the topo map just says "road".

My street for example isn't named in the topo map, but it is in city select.

You have to zoom in further to get the detail, but there's more detail there. The outo routing doesn't work nearly as well with the topo maps.

I have both maps loaded in my GPS for Texas, I can switch between em fairly easily.

If ya go on the Sunday ride you can take a look at both.

Back