PDA

View Full Version : Are There any good looking modified rear fenders?

suzukijo
07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not trying to be cocky, but i have yet to see any pictures of a modified or cut rear fender on a bandit GSF 1250, that is good looking.

sorry if you cut yours with a hacksaw, square off below the liscence light, or some other hack job, throwing away the liscence light and rear turn signals, i dont mean to insult you, but i have yet to see one that is well done, and looks better than stock, imho.

if you think yours is the good looking one i havnt seen yet, post a good picture of it here, and hopefully without a house in the background taking up 90% of the picture, and thank you for letting me critique its design, and how it was done, and how it ended up looking.

i'm not going to be mean, i dont want to be argumentative, but its your post that i will respond to. hopefully this will allow someone who has a good looking rear fender mod, to showcase their work, and set a standard for others to follow. if that is the desired look, being that the bee-sting rear tail pointed look is so popular now with so many garage customizers (you), show me. please allow me the freedom to point out the ugly ones. creativity is a plus, poor workmanship is a minus. my stock item below, for comparison.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2148/img5351mp7.jpg

funkemaster
07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I think you're just hatin man :giveup: sorry you didn't like my hackjob. I do though

suzukijo
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
posting what i did, set me up for being the bad guy.

i dont think the stock fender is the best looking rear fender ever made, and without seeing a clever looking modification, or one that is more than just removing some part of the stock item, in any fashion, its difficult to find one to copy that i like.

changing 'the look' of the stock bike is a welcome pastime, not only for me but many on this list. the rear fender modification, look change, is one that has been talked about on so many other threads, i thought it needed its own source link.

one of the options i have entertained, was trying to replace the stock item, with something easy on the wallet, and more stylistic.

this item from GSXR 600, is available on ebay for $25. it might take some fabrication to mount it, and make it look presentable, its food for thought. how to fit rear turn signals with this item, would need to be determined.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1236/rearfendergi0.jpg

red757
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I haven't had much time but am trying to figure out a way to get rid of the rather hideous rear deflector setup without making it look like a hack saw job. I have noticed that the rear tail light assembly looks as though it was set up to have a clear spot on the bottom of the lens cover to act as a license plate light but is covered on the inside. If i can get that to work as a license plate i think there might be some hope.:mrgreen:

suzukijo
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
i might explain what i did to mine, sorry for calling it stock. the plastic fender, is uncut.

i moved the liscence plate bracket up, and removed the side reflectors.
i removed the spacer under the liscence light, moving the light closer to the fender.
i replaced the clear turn lenses with orange, it seems to match my red body color.

funkemaster
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
suzukijo you might think about those intergrated brakes signals with the gxr fender. I myself like them and am rather considering one to replace my rear signals although i'm not sure how visible they once installed.

suzukijo
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM
i think i know which ones your speaking of. it makes the brake/rinning lite, a turn signal by using led's. i have looked at them.

if i indeed buy the gsxr600 fender, i will post here, the effort to install it.
of course like so many other things, modifying the stock items, often ruins them if one wants to return back to stock. so careful consideration of what, how, needs to be cut/removed would be prudent.

the integrated brake/tail light/turn-signal is one answer to the rear turn signal dilemma.

sproggy
07-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Here's mine, which I think I've posted elsewhere already (taken after a long ride in the rain):

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/ianspring/Duc_lights.jpg

Ducati ST turn signals mounted on the licence plate light base, licence plate light removed and a window put into the bottom of the stock rear light lens to illuminate the licence plate which has been moved up. I'll be the first to admit that the bracket across the bottom for the pannier frames doesn't improve the look but practicality is a must and I'm happy with it for the moment (but see below) and I much prefer it to the clear LED tail light (with intregrated turn signals) I had for about a month and then sold on.

The main component needed to try my latest rear end design has just been delivered as I type this, though - a GSXR600K7 rear section:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/f9/bd/0ada_1.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f9/bd/1386_1.JPG

This would, of course, get around the separate indicator problem and my plan is to merge (plastic weld) most of the GSXR tail onto the remains of a Bandit tail section (so the mountings and the stock seat still work) but....well, until today I haven't been able to take any proper measurements and it may simply not fit but there's only one way to find out!

The GSXR body section I have doesn't come with a licence plate mount but the plan would be to use a standard GSXR one like suzukijo has shown above as I want this to look like a factory build, not a hacked about DIY job.

Probably the most difficult part of doing this will be to retain a rear rack (but not the grab rail which my wife never uses) and pannier mounts. I'm expecting to have to modify the mounting frames to pick up in different places but, like I said, until now I haven't been able to take any measurements to figure out exactly what's needed.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

KenB
07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Good grief, sproggy. The UK really needs larger license plates. I can barely read it. :) Just kidding -- in all honesty though, it's a shame the plates there are so large. It completely dominates the rear end of the bike. Ah well. You've made the best of it!

Good thread by the way suzukijo. I've done some head scratching about this as well. I'd like to clean up the back end but not compromise functionality so I'll be watching this thread closely.

sproggy
07-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Good grief, sproggy. The UK really needs larger license plates. I can barely read it. :) Just kidding -- in all honesty though, it's a shame the plates there are so large. It completely dominates the rear end of the bike. Ah well. You've made the best of it!

You think that plate's big? You should see the legal ones......:eek2:

Legal size for a bike licence plate in the UK is 9" wide by 7" high. The one on my bike (in the picture) is 7" by 5.5" which is my compromise between legality and aesthetic appearance. It's still not legal but I've been running plates this size on bikes for years and never been pulled.

Roy
07-09-2008, 05:46 AM
No way am I cutting mine if anything I wish it was longer and wider like my old V-Stroms. I use my bike for touring and the water spray splaches the underside of my topcase keeping the key area gritty. It also shoots water/grit/road grime all over the tail.

sproggy
07-09-2008, 05:52 AM
No way am I cutting mine if anything I wish it was longer and wider like my old V-Stroms. I use my bike for touring and the water spray splaches the underside of my topcase keeping the key area gritty. It also shoots water/grit/road grime all over the tail.

This is true - with my guard cut down as shown it does throw a lot of water and dirt up the back of the bike but it's a situation I'm willing to accept in order to improve the aesthetics. In most cases function would win over form but not when it comes to that ugly lump of plastic. Anyway, it's not like it rains every day......it just seems like it at the moment.:storm:

KenB
07-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Agreed. I did a fender eliminator on my 919 and regretted it afterward. It looked fantastic with no fender and a Clear Alternatives light that replaced the turn signals. Since I wasn't touring with it, I figured it would be OK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/keboyer/Vehicles/CB900F/171557514_568417366_0.jpg

Well, within 500 miles the underside of the rear cowl and the tail light were all chewed up from debris from the rear tire. So, I won't be doing that mod again. But it would be nice to clean up the back end of the Bandit a bit without compromising functionality.

Brass
07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
this item from GSXR 600, is available on ebay for $25. it might take some fabrication to mount it, and make it look presentable, its food for thought. how to fit rear turn signals with this item, would need to be determined.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1236/rearfendergi0.jpg

A Givi type turn signal mount would do the trick. I'm sure you can find a posting on the mega thread that has a pic. To give you a quick idea though, it's a simple square "U" shaped bracket that mounts behind the license plate light and places the turn signals inline with it.

suzukijo
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
i like sproggys out of the box thinkin, about the turn signals. but with the bags why not have them hanging out there.
i'm trying to get the gsxr fender coming, when it does, i'll post my efforts here.

in the meantime, any other personal expressions of your work, post it here.

sproggy
07-10-2008, 03:22 AM
i like sproggys out of the box thinkin, about the turn signals. but with the bags why not have them hanging out there.

I use the bags maybe once a month on average - only when we go touring two-up. The rest of the time the bike doesn't wear the bags or the racks - only the top box for work. So it's a tricky compromise having turn signals that work with the bags but don't look bad when the bike's 'naked'.

As the GSXR K8 tail piece that you're planning on using mounts upwards onto a flat area of the undertray I'd imagine you wouldn't have too much trouble making up brackets to make it fit the Bandit. The main problem is that you'd have to either cut the rear section off the standard fender/undertray (irreversible) or remove the whole undertray and make/find a replacement.

Incidentally European K8 models have a slightly different tail piece with a moulded-in licence plate bracket and without the side reflectors:

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ef/c0/a644_1.JPG

I think the US-market one is neater.

But, you know, it would look a whole lot better without that half-a-brick sized licence plate light......

MetrickMetal
07-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey Joe,

If your not going to trim your rear fender down, can you at least go over to Cycle Gear and spend $5 for a black license plate frame. :rofl:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2148/img5351mp7.jpg

twist
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not trying to be cocky, but i have yet to see any pictures of a modified or cut rear fender on a bandit GSF 1250, that is good looking.

Not a bandit, but is this one okay or just another hack job? :eek2:

sproggy
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Now that is a nice looking rear end. Bike, you say? What bike? :trust:

suzukijo
07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey Joe, If your not going to trim your rear fender down, can you at least go over to Cycle Gear and spend $5 for a black license plate frame.

personally, i think the liscence plate frame look, looks like [mod edit].
plate frames are seperators, the seperate you from your money. the often break before the plate does. the plate frame offers no support, and just looks cheezy. cheap, dumb. imho

k8 600 fender coming i hope.

twist, no pic in your post. ??

suzukijo
07-10-2008, 07:52 PM
As the GSXR K8 tail piece that you're planning on using mounts upwards onto a flat area of the undertray I'd imagine you wouldn't have too much trouble making up brackets to make it fit the Bandit. The main problem is that you'd have to either cut the rear section off the standard fender/undertray (irreversible) or remove the whole undertray and make/find a replacement. I think the US-market one is neater. But, you know, it would look a whole lot better without that half-a-brick sized licence plate light......

sproggy, k8 fender is coming i hope. yes it does look like it might be easily to adapt to the bandit, and yes the fender undertray may need to be cut, yes, the fender cut off altogether, and the new k8 600 rear section bolted on somehow. i'll see when it arrives.

i really thought starting this thread would bring out the multitudes of rear fender shots, but i may have sounded too threatening (quoting beavus, "are you threatening me" ).

red757
07-11-2008, 01:35 AM

It would be really nice if they made a full rear tire hugger that would keep the spray off the tail. That would look pretty nice. A fender eliminator with a full rear hugger.:trust:

Brass
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Joe,

Looking at the pic of the tail section again and knowing that you're capable on the tools. What about mounting the signal lights dirrectly to the side of the license plate light? It only requires two holes per side and a large flat washer to keep from the nuts from pulling through. There should be enough side material on the light to mount them and the wires would be hidden. If not the stock turn signals maybe some smaller aftermarket ones.

Just a thought.

twist
07-11-2008, 09:03 AM
twist, no pic in your post. ??

They said the picture had a scantily clad girl in it and deleted it :eek2: , but I never even noticed the girl, just the rear end (of the bike).... :rofl:

Tourmeister
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
They said the picture had a scantily clad girl in it and deleted it :eek2: , but I never even noticed the girl, just the rear end (of the bike).... :rofl:

If you want to show it, put in a link. My four year old daughter often sits in my lap while I cruise through the threads and I do not want to have to get into discussions about such images with her just yet ;-)

twist
07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
If you want to show it, put in a link. My four year old daughter often sits in my lap while I cruise through the threads and I do not want to have to get into discussions about such images with her just yet ;-)

:zen: Thanks Tourmeister, but this is a total non-issue, I understand and have no problem with the image being removed and its just not that important. For those that may be curious it was girl in a bikini on a motorcycle -not even that great, just some humor at suzukijo's expense.

Heck, it's even better removed, now everyone can use their imagination - it can be a cute girl, a hot guy, a funny dog, or some fluffy kittens on the back of a motorcycle (or all of the above, take your pick). If anyone really needs to see a girl in a bikini on a motorcycle google it, there is no shortage of pictures on the internet :trust:

You should all be thankful that it wasn't me on the bike in a bikini - now that would be terribly inappropriate, and your daughter would be permanently injured psychologically were she to see such a thing! :rofl:

Tourmeister
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for understanding ;-) And your point about finding it anywhere and everywhere is exactly why I don't see the need for it here as well :thumb:

suzukijo
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
thread hijacked again.......

if you think you have a good looking modified rear fender, hopefully one from a gsf1250 suzuki, post a picture of it here, lets see what neat stuff is out there.

my first motorcycle in 1966 was a honda C200, and i used a hacksaw to cut the flare off the back fender. its 2008 now, so lets see what you got? i cant believe the only modifications have been using a hacksaw and cutting off the lower portion.

but, not much interest in this me thinks, probably more posts if i asked about saddlebags, or rear box mounts. any front fender changes?

MetrickMetal
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM

if you think you have a good looking modified rear fender, hopefully one from a gsf1250 suzuki, post a picture of it here, lets see what neat stuff is out there.

my first motorcycle in 1966 was a honda C200, and i used a hacksaw to cut the flare off the back fender. its 2008 now, so lets see what you got? i cant believe the only modifications have been using a hacksaw and cutting off the lower portion.

but, not much interest in this me thinks, probably more posts if i asked about saddlebags, or rear box mounts. any front fender changes?

No front fender changes, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :rofl:

rworm
07-12-2008, 03:05 PM

You said you didn't like any you have seen before so no since in pics:giveup:
Do ya really even like yours? Again just wondering;-)
I can't believe no one else has posted to show there work either
Just my 2 pennies left from my stimulus check// Dang I didn't get a check
rworm

suzukijo
07-13-2008, 06:26 AM
no i dont like mine.

tidying the bracket and lite, helped my bike some, but it still seems big and ugly.
using a hacksaw to lop off some part of it, would only makes it worse, imho.

thats the purpose of this thread, is to allow someone who thinks that they have 'the good looking rear fender' to post the pic here.

its pretty complicated, i'll try and explain it later.

funkemaster
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
No front fender changes, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :rofl:

I'm staying in a Holiday Inn Right now. (in Nothern Cal)

GregH
07-13-2008, 12:21 PM
...liscence plate...liscence light...
"License."

suzukijo
07-13-2008, 02:03 PM
"License." ...is not a sentance and does not need a period, laughs. ( i see i mispelled liscence, sorry for that, oops)

licence, licence, licence, license, license, licencse, lisense, lisensce, liiscence, lissennce, lisense, nonsense. ok, ok you win.
maybe i should go to a holiday inn?

MetrickMetal
07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm staying in a Holiday Inn Right now. (in Nothern Cal)

Do you feel any smarter, and have you come up with new and inovative replacement for the stock Bandit rear fender yet?

rworm
07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
"License." ...is not a sentance and does not need a period, laughs. ( i see i mispelled liscence, sorry for that, oops)

licence, licence, licence, license, license, licencse, lisense, lisensce, liiscence, lissennce, lisense, nonsense. ok, ok you win.
maybe i should go to a holiday inn?
I thot they werall spelled core-ect-lee
i em frum arcansaw
rworm:doh:

red757
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
First off, I apologize for the crappy quality photos. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new camera. I have a kodak z612 and it looks like the photosensor or something is not working as all my photos now have an unusually high amount of glare. It's been through **** though. Strapped to the bars of the yz250 many a time. O well.:giveup:

Any how, I had been playin around with an idea in my head so i figured I'd see what came of it. The edges came out pretty good. It was getting ready to storm bad so I polished em up as good as I could quickly and got it all back together just in time. I might take some super fine sand paper and wet sand them just a bit more but I'm rather satisfied with it. Was also toying with the idea of roughin it all up and usin the HVLP to throw some gloss black on it if I get bored again.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/dannybronze/BtailA.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/dannybronze/BtailB.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/dannybronze/BtailC.jpg
If i can get a hold of my step brothers digital SLR I'll try to get some better pictures.

GregH
07-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Minimalist but clean. I like it. I also like that you kept the turn signals. :mrgreen:

red757
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Minimalist but clean. I like it. I also like that you kept the turn signals. :mrgreen:

yeah, I gotta have turn signals.:lol2: I have enough problems remembering to turn them off so I'm not even going into hand signal territory.:doh:

bones
07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I keep thinking I want to do this, but think I will get more water on me when in rain...even with the GIVI trunk. For now I am going to leave it alone. My Duke has nothing back there, high pipes and the plate is in front of the tire. Man does it look sexy!

MetrickMetal
07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I've actually been toying around with putting this rear fender on my Bandit to give it a sort of 57 Chevy look. :trust:

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/pics/GLA-SUM2010.jpg

suzukijo
07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I've actually been toying around with putting this rear fender on my Bandit to give it a sort of 57 Chevy look. :trust:

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/pics/GLA-SUM2010.jpg

glued to the top of your helmet, and with a cape, you could pick up chicks!
maybe some streamers from the bars and arms length, would do too.

joe

funkemaster
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
First off, I apologize for the crappy quality photos. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new camera. I have a kodak z612 and it looks like the photosensor or something is not working as all my photos now have an unusually high amount of glare. It's been through **** though. Strapped to the bars of the yz250 many a time. O well.:giveup:

Any how, I had been playin around with an idea in my head so i figured I'd see what came of it. The edges came out pretty good. It was getting ready to storm bad so I polished em up as good as I could quickly and got it all back together just in time. I might take some super fine sand paper and wet sand them just a bit more but I'm rather satisfied with it. Was also toying with the idea of roughin it all up and usin the HVLP to throw some gloss black on it if I get bored again.

thats just like mine. except i'm still cleaning up the edges a bit.

MetrickMetal
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
glued to the top of your helmet, and with a cape, you could pick up chicks!
maybe some streamers from the bars and arms length, would do too.

joe

Thanks for the tips Joe. :rider:

suzukijo
07-16-2008, 10:22 PM
ok i finally have the '08 600 fender coming. if it looks like it will fit, i will post the debacle here.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2811/rearfenderum8.jpg

sproggy
07-17-2008, 03:42 AM
ok i finally have the '08 600 fender coming. if it looks like it will fit, i will post the debacle here.

I look forward to seeing the results. I have an option on one but the stock fender supports the rear cross-brace for the Givi case racks so I can't swap it until I've figure out an alternative brace method. And that won't come until I've figured out whether the GSXR K7 tail section can be made to fit.

I just managed to buy a new (but scratched in transit) tank and front fairing (cowling) for 50 - gradually working towards a full body set (front fender and tail section awaiting my bids) at which time I can store the originals, modify the ones I've bought however I want and then respray them in decent paint that'll be more scratch-resistant than stock and also in a more interesting colour.

MetrickMetal
07-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Joe,

Isn't this going to give you a lot less protection from rain and muck being thrown up on the back of the bike compared to the stock rear fender? as even with the amount I cut my rear fender down, it still works very well at keeping crud from being thrown onto the back of my bike.

suzukijo
07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Isn't this going to give you a lot less protection from rain and muck being thrown up on the back of the bike compared to the stock rear fender? as even with the amount I cut my rear fender down, it still works very well at keeping crud from being thrown onto the back of my bike.

i think i know where your going with this.
i dont NEED a rear fender, i seldom ride in the rain.
i dont get much thrown up from the rear tire riding when its not raining, (most of the year), so really the reason for having a rear fender on my bike is not a question of protection, from water or rocks or mud or flying debris.

i have pondered the replacement of the front fender, with something from an older model, without the batwing sidepods the stock front fender has, but so far nothing has surfaced, cheaply that i can try to fit.

i was intrigued by the total apathy by Mr worm, of trying to keep his bike "stock", and enjoyed his departure from original. his acceptance to just make it like he wanted was encouraging for me.

i would like to change the "look" of my bike, in more ways, but that i ride it most everyday and with a impending divorce, it may not stay, so wild changes that might decrease the value of prospective resale, is not attractive to me.

i looked into the seat undertray, i believe its windman that has that, but the $300 cost scared me away.

i think there might be some beauty in the K8 600 rear fender.
i was dissapointed in the lack of "hey look at my fender" posts.

i have toyed with the idea of removing the fairing complete, and using a round headlight, but that is simply a dream of mine, and one winter day, when its snowing outside, i may remove it and piddle around with seeing how it would look like without the main fairing.

the rear fender replacement, is a styling treatment.

to mount the K8 item, permanently, the stock item will need to be cut, and carved, and something probably aluminum plate/sheet used to patch and support the new K8 item.

it may not be do-able, but its something to entertain me, when this list is slow.

MetrickMetal
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
i think i know where your going with this.
i dont NEED a rear fender, i seldom ride in the rain.
i dont get much thrown up from the rear tire riding when its not raining, (most of the year), so really the reason for having a rear fender on my bike is not a question of protection, from water or rocks or mud or flying debris.

i have pondered the replacement of the front fender, with something from an older model, without the batwing sidepods the stock front fender has, but so far nothing has surfaced, cheaply that i can try to fit.

i was intrigued by the total apathy by Mr worm, of trying to keep his bike "stock", and enjoyed his departure from original. his acceptance to just make it like he wanted was encouraging for me.

i would like to change the "look" of my bike, in more ways, but that i ride it most everyday and with a impending divorce, it may not stay, so wild changes that might decrease the value of prospective resale, is not attractive to me.

i looked into the seat undertray, i believe its windman that has that, but the $300 cost scared me away.

i think there might be some beauty in the K8 600 rear fender.
i was dissapointed in the lack of "hey look at my fender" posts.

i have toyed with the idea of removing the fairing complete, and using a round headlight, but that is simply a dream of mine, and one winter day, when its snowing outside, i may remove it and piddle around with seeing how it would look like without the main fairing.

the rear fender replacement, is a styling treatment.

to mount the K8 item, permanently, the stock item will need to be cut, and carved, and something probably aluminum plate/sheet used to patch and support the new K8 item.

it may not be do-able, but its something to entertain me, when this list is slow.

I was just under the impression that you have not cut down your rear fender as you did not want to reduce its ability to keep crud off of your bike, thats all.

You know you can purchase a undertail/fender elliminator made by Powerbronze from Superbike Store LLC for $179.99 plus $14.95 shipping. :rider:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Bandit-1250-07-Undertail-shotgun-lights-ABS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ35583QQihZ021QQitemZ310067608835QQtcZph oto#ebayphotohosting

http://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/fa/bb/a636_1.JPG

Trailduster
07-17-2008, 09:25 PM

I like the round headlight too, {Old School} Its just the gauge pack is so cheap and wouldnt look right with it, The Pre 07 Bandits had good looking solid gauges as you probably are aware of, Now they would work great with a round headlight if thats what you wanted but once again there inlies the cost factor....Best wishes on your D and keep up your health. SZ.

red757
07-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I was just under the impression that you have not cut down your rear fender as you did not want to reduce its ability to keep crud off of your bike, thats all.

You know you can purchase a undertail/fender elliminator made by Powerbronze from Superbike Store LLC for $179.99 plus $14.95 shipping. :rider:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Bandit-1250-07-Undertail-shotgun-lights-ABS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ35583QQihZ021QQitemZ310067608835QQtcZph oto#ebayphotohosting

I was looking into that undertail before I hacked mine up but i just don't like the shotgun style lamps. I like the stock lens. Anyone ever notice it look's like a big set of lips. As if it's saying "pucker up and kiss my tail".
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/dannybronze/BtailB.jpg

suzukijo
07-18-2008, 06:48 PM

its mainly a styling issue. i dont like the wall-e look, and its just a $200 i dont have, and simply trimming the fender off keeping stock tailight would look better imho. most of what makes this bike look different is the rear seat cover not the undertray.

like you elbandito, i think sometimes, its in the work doing it, where the fun is and the end result is lagniappe.

suzukijo
07-19-2008, 02:19 PM
the debacle has begun....

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4562/img5373jf6.jpg

and getting knee deep....

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/358/img5383do5.jpg

red757
07-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Gixxer pipe, gixxer fender. Why am I getting the feeling someone secretly wishes they had a gixxer?:rofl: J/K. good luck with the install. It should look pretty good if it all works out.

suzukijo
07-19-2008, 09:40 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8859/img5402qb0.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1205/img5404vo4.jpg

not exctly what i wanted, but its bolted up well, and at least i can ride it.

some pics on how i got it done.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2111/img5385zk7.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/82/img5391cg3.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9619/img5393xh7.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3584/img5401wy8.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9706/img5407ln8.jpg

i still havnt come up with a rear turn signal idea that i like, so i kept the stock mountings on the fender.
all done, the fender is much smaller than the original, but the angled facets make the rear much more busier, hectic looking.
i wont know if i like it, till i live with it a while. but for now, it works, is mounted well, and kept me occupied for an afternoon.

MetrickMetal
07-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Joe,

I agree that it looks way to busy now with all of the shapes and angles, and I truthfully have to say that just from the pictures right now I'm not sure if I really care for it, and I would like to see it in person to get a better idea of how it really looks, but a great attempt to change/improve the looks of the rear fender non the less :clap:

I been there many times before over the years modifying parts, and sometimes it take modifying something and finding out you don't like it to really appreciate what you had. :rider:

Update:

Joe,

The more I have been looking at it, I think it may be starting to grow on me and I still want to see it in person one of these days.

Oh by the way, I think it will look a whole lot better if you go buy yourself a $5 black license plate trim at Cycle Gear along with better looking bolts.

suzukijo
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
no liscence plate trim. zip. nada. kaput. zilch. nien.

looking at it this morning, its much smaller, than stock.
the angles match some of the other styling cues elsewhere on the bike.

i left enough of the stock fender, to use just that, and still have plate and signals.

one good thing about it, is its at the back of the bike. its not like the tack speedo or top 3 clamp, where you look at it all day long.

its growing on me.

i'll try and take some flattering pics of it. theres just too much racing on the boob today, irl, alms, motogp, F1, world superbike, a good day to surf the web, and couch potatoe. and picture taking.

what i cut off...

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6031/img5432as6.jpg

with the piece removed....

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5427/img5434vo5.jpg

the movement of the leading edge of the frame cover, carries thru in the new rear fender treatment, after much experimenting with different rear signals, the original stockers are still in place. with something else, possibly smaller items, the fender treatment will be less pronounced and more flowing. i am undecided about them however.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7494/img5421cd0.jpg

with much deliberation, it seems the stock rear signals, seem out of place, they may go.

i changed the bolts, just for you, scott.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5559/img5435mg2.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8/img5404df1.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2293/img5408rc4.jpg

i am declaring this thread negligent.
no one thinks they have a good looking modified rear fender.
mine isnt that great either, but i changed it, thanks to encouragment from so many posters, maybe you.

Terizius
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I may be a bit late for this.. but I liked the shape of the rear fender, just didnt like that it hung down so far. Some painters tape, dremel and 20 mins later got me this.

Rear View (http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll307/Terizius/Cross%20Country%20on%20the%20B1250/IMG_0576.jpg)

Fittysom'n
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
When I can afford a replacement for the Dremmel I wore out, I plan to simply square off the existing fender (rounding the corners). I count myself as being among those who likes having a functional fender. Having now had a tire hugger on another bike, I plan to add a hugger to the Bandit as well..... and an Extenda Fender up front.
I guess I'm just old fashion that way, as I also am a bit of a traditionalist with regard to turn signals with amber lenses and enough distance between them to keep them conspicuously functional.

millercreek
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I have a Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator kit that I bought last year and never got around to putting on. Needless to say, I don't have a picture of what it looks like on the bike, but the pics on the instructions look really clean. When I get a digital camera, I will put some pics on here, but that is the only kit I could find for a fender eliminator for the bandit.

funkemaster
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Haven't been in this thread for a while. I've seen that kit you're talking about interested to see how she works for you. This is still something I'd like to get someday good luck with the install

streak07
04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
The competition werkes looks like a piece of aluminum. Could probably do that same for yourself with $15 in materials. One plate bracket, one small LED plate light, and a piece of sheet metal for the fender. Not sure its worth what they're asking.

http://secure.compwerkes.com/catalog/34b.jpg

Frito Bandito
04-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I like the way mine turned out, but I may put the Competition Werkes on in the future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/tmr1085/P1000723.jpg

AK Addict
04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone know of a US distributor of topline undertails? This is what I want!
http://www.espace-tuning.com/uploads/images_products_large/876.jpg

KenB
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Anyone know of a US distributor of topline undertails? This is what I want!
http://www.espace-tuning.com/uploads/images_products_large/876.jpg
That looks pretty close to the Ermax undertail

http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/1250undertail.html

MetrickMetal
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I like the way mine turned out, but I may put the Competition Werkes on in the future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/tmr1085/P1000723.jpg

It looks good :clap:

Have you thought about bending up a thin piece of aluminum to cover up the bottom opening. It would box in the bottom side and you could paint it semi-gloss black to match the plastic. ;-)

AK Addict
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
That looks pretty close to the Ermax undertail

http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/1250undertail.html

The Ermax is pretty close but that's an old link if you try to find it directly from www.holeshot.com it's no longer available.

Frito Bandito
04-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Have you thought about bending up a thin piece of aluminum to cover up the bottom opening. It would box in the bottom side and you could paint it semi-gloss black to match the plastic. ;-)
That would be cool, I'll check into it.

millercreek
04-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I got the Competition Werkes kit on a couple of days ago. Looks great, just like in the pic above, except mine's black. The instructions suck, but it's all pretty straightforward. Seems to be all stainless. If I were to do it again though, I don't know if I would pay $130 for it.

Frito Bandito
04-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Pic please.

thunderbolt
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Pic please.

Here you go.

http://secure.compwerkes.com/catalog/34b.jpg

AK Addict
04-17-2009, 12:44 PM
If I were to do it again though, I don't know if I would pay $130 for it.

My thought exactly! Maybe $50 but $130 is crazy and why I have not bought one.

labandit
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Dale at Holeshot has a PowerBronze setup that looks sweet.

treybrad
05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Now, I know it doesn't rain in CA :lol2:, but what do the rest of you do about the mud bath that must happen after you chop off the rear fender? Even with the stock fender, after any kind of riding on wet roads, my top case and even the passenger seat is absolutely covered in road filth...

I chopped the rear fender on my SV for cosmetics but, the trade off was an absurd amount of crap being thrown on me in the rain... I can only assume the Bandit is the same, no?

trey

Terizius
05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I chopped mine by 3-4", keeping the same contour as the original.. and yes.. I do get a lot more mud and stuff thrown up by the tires. I almost regret chopping it, but then I remember how huge and ugly it was before and all is well again. My rear case blocks the mud from coming up my or my passengers back.

yamadavidson
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Ok I took the plunge and chopped my fender off hoping to duplicate what competition werkes sells. I had some sheet metal laying around and started cutting and measuring. it came out pretty good I think and really cleans up the back of the bike, I used rivets to hold it in place and thought maybe I wouldnt like seeing the rivet heads but I kind like the industrial look it gives it. I took it for a 150 mile ride on Saturday and it held on tight(I was concerned that maybe rivets wouldnt hold well)

GregH
05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Nice job. It looks very pro.:clap:

funkemaster
05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
yeah that looks good man. I like it.:clap: