• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ignition Switch Torx Screw Size

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
Ignition Switch Torx Screw Wrench Size

I want to remove my top fork crown to do some custom mods to it but I need to remove the ignition switch from it in order to do so.

The ignition switch is attached to the top fork crown with two tamper proof torx head screws that have a pin in the middle of the screw head where the wrenck fits so that the screws can't be removed.

I stuck a inspection mirror under the screws and my eye tells me that they looked to take a T-45 torx bit. Does anyone out there know what size torx wrench fits as McMaster Carr sells the special allen wrenches for removing the tamper torx head screws and I would like to be sure that I am ordering the correct size wrench.

I would rather buy the correct wrench and remove the screws with it rather than using the method described in the repair manual of remving the screws with a center punch and a hammer.

I bought the small set at auto zone/I think you are correct on the size
rworm

Thanks rworm.

Is there a chance you could check what size wrench fits the screws on your bike, as I need to order some other stuff from McMaster Carr anyway and would prefer to be able to just order one of the correct size wrenches. :rider:

I just got back from Harbor Freight where I bought a set of 6, 3/8" drive tamper proof torx drivers for $7.95 and the screws take a T-40 driver which fits the screws perfectly. The T-30 driver fits but is very sloppy.

I can't believe that the service manual actually tells you to remove the screws with a center punch and a hammer instead of just telling you to use a T-40 tamper proof torx bit.

I can't believe that the service manual actually tells you to remove the screws with a center punch and a hammer instead of just telling you to use a T-40 tamper proof torx bit.

Honda service manuals give you the same 'punch and hammer' advice. Maybe they don't want to let on how easy it is to get hold of tools to undo 'tamper-proof' fixings....

Back