• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Valve Adjustment F650GS

dower

Reaction score
First Name
Will
:tab Ok, I'm over my 12,000 mile mark on the BMW and it is time for a valve adjustment. Something I have never done before. :oops: When reviewing my parts needed list, I notice that I may need Valve Shims depending on how far out of spec the gap is. The problem I'm having is.... Should I just buy the whole shim kit? This way I would have all the possible sizes. Or should I just take it apart measure the gap and order the shims I need. I don't like having a bike laying around in pieces waiting for parts. Mainly because, if I sleep, I'll forget how to put it back together. How do you folks in the 'know' handle this? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

:chug:

Your local dealer should have the shims (if any) needed to complete the adjustment. Some will even trade shims for little or nothing. You shouldn't have to order anything.

Back