• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Gel seat mod

Brass

Reaction score
Since buying the Suzuki gel seat I found it to be a bit on the firm side. Here is my attempt to fix this pain in my back side.

I started by pulling the cover off with a good flat blade screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. Those who have changed the covers on their dirt bikes know the value of using a new screw driver instead of an old one. The new blade has a good square edge that makes pulling the old staples out a snap and saves your vinyl from any slips that could tear it. If you end up needing to use pliers on the odd staple don’t pull, pry it out instead. I’ll find something to pull that piece of staple out of my finger later.

A note to remember, don’t pull out the staples along the front of the seat. They are almost impossible to get back in once the job is done. Also by leaving them in there it makes lining the cover up a breeze.

I started on the passenger seat but the front seat is pretty much the same. With the cover out of the way you can see the gel pad. It pops right out and is much less dense that I had thought. The foam however is very dense, particularly around the edge where the gel butts up to it. A likely candidate for the swiss cheese procedure. By the way, the gel is about 3/8 thick.

An automotive seat pad ($9.99) was found with a gel pad similar to what Spencer uses in his seats. It’s a bit less dense that the stock gel. The stock gel was used as a template and enough material was left over to do the front section as well. A bit of patients and careful trimming got the fit just right.

Attachments

• IM000627.jpg
    IM000627.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IM000632.JPG
    IM000632.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IM000635.JPG
    IM000635.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IM000633.JPG
    IM000633.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IM000634.JPG
    IM000634.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 177
Next came the seat heater. The wife seems to get cold pretty easy, this should help. Two adhesive strips on the bottom side hold it in place. Wiring is the same as any other heated accessory, so I’ll save you the details there.

The rest is easy, some stainless steel staples and a staple gun. Just pop in a couple staples and then flip it over to make sure the cover is sitting as it should. If everything looks good just work your way around the pan. Don’t worry if the staples aren’t driven in all the way, those will be pushed down with a 3/8 drive extension and a bit of elbow grease. They are easy to drive home, even for someone like myself with arthritis in my hands.

Attachments

• IM000646.jpg
    IM000646.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IM000641.JPG
    IM000641.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IM000640.JPG
    IM000640.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IM000639.JPG
    IM000639.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IM000638.JPG
    IM000638.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 166
The final result. You can’t tell the seat was ever touched but it’s much more plush. The front seat was done in the same manner with the same results.

Attachments

• IM000650.JPG
    IM000650.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 193
After a 519 mile ride yesterday on the modified gel seat, I'm happy to report that it was much more comfortable. The difference was enough that even getting gas, the wife and I didn't get off the bike. Just pulled up close to the pump, filled 'er up and went on.
We did stop for about an hour for dinner towards the end of the trip. When we started up again the wife noticed that the seat wasn't as hot as it was before. I hadn't thought of it when making the change but it is reasonable to assume that the new waffle gel would hold less heat.

This might seem like a stupid question, but what size staples did you use to put the cover back on the seat?

:rofl: Never mind... I just noticed the picture - 1/4".

Thanks!

If you plan to do any seat work, spend the extra $4 for stainless steel staples (available at stores like Home Depot). No one likes to see rust bleeding from their seat.

If you plan to do any seat work, spend the extra $4 for stainless steel staples (available at stores like Home Depot). No one likes to see rust bleeding from their seat.

Good tip... I honestly wouldn't have thought of checking what material they're made of. Thanks.

thanks for the report...Sounds good...I wonder if you can do this with the stock seat.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same thing to the stock seat.

The only difference would be that you would have to make your own "pocket" for the gel to sit in. That is easier than you think. Use a utility knife and set the blade depth to the thickness of the gel pad you want to insert. Then cut out the outline of the pad to the depth of the blade. Once you have the outline, continue to cut the foam into a grid so that you end up with 1/4" cubes. Trim out those cubes and you have your pocket.
Recover the seat and you're done.

Update.

As of today 2300 miles have been logged on the modified seat. There has been one other mod to the seat that was done at around the 750 mile mark. That was to pop the cover off again and drill a series of 1/8" holes horizontally into the edge of the pocket that the gel pad sits it. This was done to smooth the transition from the softer gel to the denser foam.

My longest single day trip so far has been 758 miles as recorded on the GPS. No complaints about the seat but now I’m really noticing that the bars need to be changed.

For a total investment of about $308, which includes the purchase of the Suzuki Gel seat, automotive seat pad, and seat heater kit, I finally have a seat that I can last a full day on without complaining.

Now, about that handlebar ……

Dannyt,

I found the seat cushion at a local department store. I'm sure you could find it at a Walmart, Kmart or simillar. eBay could be another source. I have seen the same material that Spencer uses but it's much more expensive than what I was willing to pay.

El Bandito,

That's not just a seat gone wrong but the entire bike. :eek2:

El Bandito, does this bike belong to someone you know?
...I just noticed the horns/sirens on the side of the bike. Holy Crap!!

No, I saw this on another forum.

Did you check out the windshield and the cool looking mirror extensions also. :eek2:

The sad thing is the owner of this bike is probably really proud of it. :lol2:

OMG!! I just noticed that... I suppose both windscreen and mirror extensions could be functional - UGLY AS HECK, ...but functional.

I'd bet he gets wind clearance even standing at 8 feet tall. That thing is a fugly monster. But I guess he did try.

Back