• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Portable Solar Panels for Campers

To be self sufficient you will need bigger or multiple panels. Look under mods on this site ( toyhauler is where I look more apt to be out and away ) you will find several nice how to and good pics. Nice onan works for me but I have plans for inverter and solar to cut down on generator.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

I would love to use solar but the price seems sooo outlandish. If someone could produce something we could afford, sales of the items would take off.

Just how much power do you want to create? How often do you use the camper? If you need to just keep the batteries charged, then solar would be ok, but if you wish to run the entire kit and caboodle, then usually a gas powered generator would be sufficient. Solar is great, but it takes a long time to pay for itself in a camper situation. You'd almost have to live in it for any kind of cost benefit.

But if you got money falling out your butt and you just have to spend it, then cover the top of the camper in solar panels and build a battery box across the tongue and wire up about 6 or 8 commercial deep cycle truck batteries.

The good thing about solar while your camping is that you do not have to listen to the generator run and it doesn't scare off any wildlife.

I would love to use solar but the price seems sooo outlandish. If someone could produce something we could afford, sales of the items would take off.

For a trailer a few hundred dollars will keep the light's, heater, and fridge running. Most toyhaulers like ours already has two batterys so that expense is already done just panel and inverter. Its that texas sun and running the ac that would require a bank loan.

It still takes 10-15 years to pay off if you try to play off line ( House) . Pretty hefty commitment if your not sure you will live in your house that long. Texas bites being a gas and oil state. No incentives. There are some states that will pay you, up to, if memory is working 25% of cost. Texas so generously says they wont tax you on the extra value to your home wooo hooo.

Northern Tool had a sale a while back 40% off most panels I bought some to use in my trailer and a gate opener to my property. My wife and I were talking about this last night.

Back