• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SMOKE & MIRRORS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . show us your shades

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
I prefer to wear sungalsses behind a clear visor and I am curious as to what brands of shades are popular. I allso have a smoke visor for my Shoei but don't use it because I usually keep the shield open on the first click in the summer and I find the band of light at the bottom of my field of vision distracting, not to mention the adjustment to the light when I pop the hatch at a stoplight.
Here's what I wear:
2686549570_28d44164d1_o.jpg

They come in clear, smoke gray & mirror.
http://www.willsonsafety.com/products/product.asp?id=4
They fit nicely inside my helmet and give full frameless peripheral vision but the lenses do scratch easily so I replace them every few months. Of course at 7 bucks a copy I can't complain. I get them at a local welding supply when I deliver their monthly birthday cake. I would like something more scratch resistant without having any glass in the helmet with me.:cool2:

Last edited:
Oakley Military M-Frames. I like the ear pieces without the turn down over the ear.

CC4857D5-3048-812A-2E073E83E3499031.jpg

I'm new to this, but shades with a full helmet is my setup as well. I have a KBC helmet and Tifosi bicycling shades. Fits and works wonderfully. Not too darkly tinted so I'm not blind at dusk.

I wear aviator style sunglasses with wire ear pieces - they are least intrusive inside my helmet. And don't we ride motorcycle because we can't fly F-14s?

How well do those fit under a full face helmet?

Very well. The ear pieces follow the channel designed into the lining for glasses. I've used them with Arai, Shoei and Nolan helmets.

Another advantage is that these shades can take the place of the shield. I can, and do, ride around with the visor up for ventilation and still have the same level of eye protection.

Last edited:
nice shades just checked the price. They cost way more than i like to pay for shades for the bike

nice shades just checked the price. They cost way more than i like to pay for shades for the bike

I get a significant discount. :-P Bolle makes some that are very similar for much less.

Oakley Military M-Frames. I like the ear pieces without the turn down over the ear.

CC4857D5-3048-812A-2E073E83E3499031.jpg

+1
I still have a pair of the M frame pros which don't have the folding ear pieces, they are now discontinued.

I wear them under a dark tinted shield with no problems.

Kurt, I get them at the same place also.

I wear Smith@Wessons black from Tractor supply, 10.00, and are comfortable They keep wind out of your eyes and look pretty cool too, at night i wear wrap around safety glasses but if i just crack my shield up a notch, It allows bugs to recochet and i had to go have one dug out at the doctor not long ago, So its either all the up or all the way down at night.

I wear Smith@Wessons black from Tractor supply, 10.00, and are comfortable They keep wind out of your eyes and look pretty cool too .

Are they pretty scratch resistant? That's cheap enough to be considered disposable anyway. That's what I like best about the Willson Fuse is that they're only $7. I just get another pair when they get scratched.

Last edited:
Are they pretty scratch resistant? That's cheap enough to be considered disposable anyway. That's what I like best about the Willson Fuse is that they're only $7. I just get another pair when they get scratched.
2686549570_28d44164d1_o.jpg

They come in clear, smoke gray & mirror.

They will scratch if left in a place where the lense rubs against something hard like a hard plastic lunch box or glove box unprotected, They are more like safety sun glasses {low profile wrap around} very dark. Ive been using a pair of mirror lenses but they make everything change colors with my shield down so next pair im going back to plain dark lense.

I've been using a pair of "Strike King" fishing glasses that I picked up at Wallyworld -- priced at under $10 and polarized-- hard to beat. One other thing-- being polarized, they sometimes make the speedometer appear kinda wierd sometimes.

Once you wear a pair, you'll not complain about the price so much :deal:

I had a pair of M-Frames (non-mil) and enjoyed them for many years of driving boat, bicycles, shooting, everything, the lenses do get scratched but are quite good about taking abuse.

Sadly, I lost mine when they fell out of my jacket pocket after a movie :tears: I replaced them with a pair of Flak Jackets. XLJ and a Ice Iridium lens.

I have personally taken flying chips of concrete block in the lens on the M-Frame and only got a small mark. Bugs leave a splatter, but don't damage the lens.

My M-Frames had the Black Iridium lens in them. I had a Gray and Amber lens that I found at a pawn shop. Gray didn't block nearly enough light for me (I like dark glasses) and the amber was great for shooting.
My brother has the Lance Armstrong edition M-Frames (with the cool TX flag O logo) with the Ice Iridium lens. For some reason, we wound up switching for a week. I instantly fell in love with the Ice lens color. Thus the reason that my new ones are Flak Jackets and not M-Frames. Can't get the M-Frame in Ice without added expense.

With the introduction of the new sport glasses from Oakley (forget the model) the M-Frame is taking a back seat and I suspect its going to be fazed out in favor of the new one.

I nearly bought a clear lens for the M-Frame for those evenings where it was too nice for the shield to be down :rider:

Last edited:
Being firmly entrenched in the cheap camp, my favorites are any decent safety glasses, available at any welding or industrial supply house.
Dark gray for the sunny stuff, amber for night ops.
Any pair that gets scratched get deported to work
bob

I get a significant discount. :-P Bolle makes some that are very similar for much less.

Was cruising the thread on sunglasses. Any chance you might be able to pick up some more of those M-frame mil specs? I am in desperate need of some new glasses, and my roommate had some of these when he came back form IRAQ i loved them.

Possibly the next time we place an order. I don't know when that will be.

Several months ago I sorta moved out of the "cheap" camp. I was replacing my $8 shades about every 2 months because they scratched so easily. All them eight bucks-es was addin' up. :giveup: I started similar threads on other forms too and Oakley was most highly acclaimed but $200 for shades - nope, not me.

I discovered Tifosi Optics which has a product line similar to Oakley but costs only $60. What really captured my interest was their fototec variable lenses.

interactive link

718424724_act8F-M.jpg
718424777_9JtwQ-X3.gif

So far I've managed to snag 2 pair of the Pave model on ebay for half price and got some extra lenses too. They are extremely scratch resistant, trust me, and I really enjoy the self darkening feature. I use the GT (golf/tennis) fototec lenses on overcast days and the EC (extreme contrast) fototec's in bright sunlight. The only issue is they do not darken as well when the temp over 85 degrees. So for the summer heat I have standard dark gray lenses.

Anyway, after wearing the Tifosi's every day for about 6 months I gotta give 'em a :thumb::thumb:

I like Rudy Project glasses. They aren't as popular as Oakleys but are equally as good if not better and with their regular closeout section you can get some super deals. They offer a great program where they will replace your lenses for $19.95 if you scratch them. They'll usually include free replacement nosepads also. Several models have replacement parts too. One pair I have is on its third set of lenses and also survived a nasty bicycle crash.

Smith Optics is another brand that offers good quality lenses at a more affordable price.

Just get a HJC is33. It has a pull down smoked shield behind the clear shield.Works great for me. would need a pair of shades when not wearing the helmet.

Back