• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cardo Scala Rider Q2

Reaction score
Well, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a headset as I have such a long commute every day (over 60 miles each way) and my wife, mostly, gets frustrated (ie: worried) with not being able to reach me. Additionally, I wanted to be able to hear the directions from my bluetooth NAV on my phone (which does work) and the FM radio is a bonus. :)

As far as for cellphone usage, the voice dial function works very well as does the voice answer. Everyone I have talked to has said that even (on I-10 Wset of SA) at 75mph they cannot tell I'm on a motorcycle.

Today I took my good buddy Paul out for a ride after he got off of work. He's a new rider, only has a couple of hundred miles on his Shadow Aero 750 (which is a fantastic bike btw) and is doing extremely well, very smooth on the bike.

Well, he's a gadget freak as am I and as soon as I told him I got a Q2 he went out and researched it and got one too.

We used it today on our ride to keep in touch and so I could talk him through some of the Hill Country backroads in the "Buddy" mode which is headset-to-headset communications via Bluetooth. The nice thing is ince the Q2 and be paired with up to four sources, I was still able to get calls on the phone at the same time. The "Buddy" mode works extremely well, at some points we were about 1/4 of a mile apart, maybe more (just testing the range) and it was still crisp and crystal clear.

So far we're both extremely happy with the purchases and do not regret it at all. :)

If you are looking for a multi-functional Bluetooth capable headset, look no further!

For the record, I picked it up from Nathan at Moto Liberty, fantastic customer service as always, give'em a call! :rider:

Well, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a headset as I have such a long commute every day (over 60 miles each way) and my wife, mostly, gets frustrated (ie: worried) with not being able to reach me. Additionally, I wanted to be able to hear the directions from my bluetooth NAV on my phone (which does work) and the FM radio is a bonus. :)

As far as for cellphone usage, the voice dial function works very well as does the voice answer. Everyone I have talked to has said that even (on I-10 Wset of SA) at 75mph they cannot tell I'm on a motorcycle.

Today I took my good buddy Paul out for a ride after he got off of work. He's a new rider, only has a couple of hundred miles on his Shadow Aero 750 (which is a fantastic bike btw) and is doing extremely well, very smooth on the bike.

Well, he's a gadget freak as am I and as soon as I told him I got a Q2 he went out and researched it and got one too.

We used it today on our ride to keep in touch and so I could talk him through some of the Hill Country backroads in the "Buddy" mode which is headset-to-headset communications via Bluetooth. The nice thing is ince the Q2 and be paired with up to four sources, I was still able to get calls on the phone at the same time. The "Buddy" mode works extremely well, at some points we were about 1/4 of a mile apart, maybe more (just testing the range) and it was still crisp and crystal clear.

So far we're both extremely happy with the purchases and do not regret it at all. :)

If you are looking for a multi-functional Bluetooth capable headset, look no further!

For the record, I picked it up from Nathan at Moto Liberty, fantastic customer service as always, give'em a call! :rider:

Wear earplugs with them? How high do you turn up the volume to hear?

I don't wear earplugs, in 20 years of riding I've never really needed it. Then again, I have always worn full-faced (mostly Arai's and for the last ~15 yeras RX7's) helmets and sportbikes. I guess on a cruiser type bike or anything without a full faced helmet, the noise would be a lot louder/worse.

The earpieces go up extremely loud, TOO loud. It adjusts the volume for speed, so if my low speed volume is too high, my sped up volume is painful! lol

But once it's setup right it's great.

Honestly my "noisy" Arai isn't noisy at all. *shrug*

It's certainly no noisier than my Shoei's were.

Hey Tesla, I tried it today with earplugs, it worked fine. I was using the cheapo purple ones you get from Wal-Mart in the plastic tub.

It worked fine, I could hear everything just fine. I did have to turn it all the way up, but the radio is plenty loud (ie: painful when all the way up with no plugs, at least in my RX7).

But yeah, it did work fine.

And no, Jyn, I still don't like riding with ear plugs.:D

Is the Scala Q2 A2DP compatible?

I am pretty sure the original one was not and I have not seen anything that indicates the Q2 is either.

I decided to go with the CAMOS for A2DP compatibility.

-

As far as I know, it is not. I would've liked AD2P compatibility, but honestly the Q2 was just a much slimmer, sleeker package. I really can't stand how bulky the CAMOS is. That enormous plug and the earpieces are much larger/bulkier than the Q2's.

I went for comfort and compact size versus compatibility for AD2P, I don't have anything that uses AD2P anyway. :)

I did check out the CAMOS prior to purchasing however and couldn't convince myself that AD2P was worth the rest of it's shortcomings. But hey, whatever works for ya! :D

I bought one from Moto Liberty as well and it works well,
I can hear fine with earplugs in, like the FM radio feature
as well

Do you run am amplifier or anything to make it loud enough??

No need, it's plenty loud. Without plugs it can get (literally) ear-piercingly loud.

If you need earplugs, you may be deaf already! :giveup: :eek2:

Seriously though, it's plenty loud. :)

I bought one from Moto Liberty as well and it works well,
I can hear fine with earplugs in, like the FM radio feature
as well

Bud, did you get a chance to try out the bike-to-bike communication yet? You need a buddy with a Q2, but it works surprisingly well. Up to almost a half mile away if it's line of sight. :)

BTW, great looking ZRX, love those colors. :)

No, I have not tried the bike to bike yet.

Oh and thanks on the compliment on the ZRX I had it repainted by an old friend in Austin, its 2007 Porsche Blue that I am really happy with

FYI, not only open face helment users need ear protection:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0804_noise_induced_hearing/index.html

Although noise-induced hearing loss is permanent, it is entirely preventable, Colle said. Motorcyclists should limit the amount of exposure they have to high-decibel levels, and although motorcycle helmets don’t provide any significant protection against noise, inexpensive foam earplugs, available at drug stores, can reduce sound levels by 20 decibels to 25 decibels.

http://news.ufl.edu/2004/09/01/motorcycle-noise/

As a lifetime musician, trust me, if it was loud in my helmet, I'd wear earplugs.

It just isn't though. :)

here is one of my favorite of the bike

Attachments

• New%20Blue%20035.jpg
    New%20Blue%20035.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 186
Thanks guys, I never really think of it a beautiful its just the bike
I have been riding for the past 8 years. Thanks for the compliments
a friend of mine in Austin did the paint work last year after I spied a
911 in that color rolling through a parking lot on a sunny day

I picked my Q2 up this weekend.

I haven't done bike-to-bike, but so far the cell phone works great. The FM isn't bad either.

Is the Scala Q2 A2DP compatible?

I am pretty sure the original one was not and I have not seen anything that indicates the Q2 is either.

I decided to go with the CAMOS for A2DP compatibility.

-

Bump....

Bushwacker... The Cardo that will be AD2P will be coming out in April, 09... I have a bud that works there...

Back