• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LF200GY-5 So far...

Reaction score
Well I have put about 300ish miles on this little China Dual Sport so far and after my fill-up on the way home. I'll take that 200cc non-highway 40min trip to work.

I put Rotella 15w-40 in at 5 miles on the odometer. Then at 100 miles I put in Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic. Done a few chain adjustments, took a tad of slack out of the rear brake pedal. So basically not much else. I wasn't real sure what the mpg was going to be so I filled up and reset the trip. I have seen were some folks have been getting 80 mpg. So I figured I would fill-up at 160 miles on the trip and see what goes down the hatch. Well at 181.5 miles on the trip I put in 1.52 gallons.. Ya, thats 119.4 mpg.. :eek2:

Know on a side note I really don't know that the trip is 100% accurate. I plan on doing a small gps test. I think I need to find an accurate mile and test it and see. I don't want to take this thing on the highway so mile markers are outta the question. Well I guess I could do it at 5am on a Sunday or something. :rider:

GPS test for sure. Reset the trip meter on the bike & the GPS at the same time and just head out for a day.

Well I have put about 300ish miles on this little China Dual Sport so far and after my fill-up on the way home. I'll take that 200cc non-highway 40min trip to work.

I put Rotella 15w-40 in at 5 miles on the odometer. Then at 100 miles I put in Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic. Done a few chain adjustments, took a tad of slack out of the rear brake pedal. So basically not much else. I wasn't real sure what the mpg was going to be so I filled up and reset the trip. I have seen were some folks have been getting 80 mpg. So I figured I would fill-up at 160 miles on the trip and see what goes down the hatch. Well at 181.5 miles on the trip I put in 1.52 gallons.. Ya, thats 119.4 mpg.. :eek2:

Know on a side note I really don't know that the trip is 100% accurate. I plan on doing a small gps test. I think I need to find an accurate mile and test it and see. I don't want to take this thing on the highway so mile markers are outta the question. Well I guess I could do it at 5am on a Sunday or something. :rider:

I sold a 150 Lifan motored bike several years ago. I rode it when he brought it back for routine service. I noticed the speedo was marked MPG, but by golly it read in Km/hr. Kid thought the thing was really fast. :rofl: You might have the same problem with the odo. My 200 gets about 80 around own and a little less on the highway. Worse it ever got was 60, all highway miles and a pretty good head wind. It will cruise about 60 mph the way I have it geared. It was VERY undergeared out of the crate and I found a 10 tooth smaller rear sprocket that fit from a XL175, just had to drill the mount holes a little bigger.

Not long ago, I stripped the rear sprocket bolts on mine. I was pulling out on the road down from my house. Thought I'd grabbed a false neutral, then thought the chain had jumped, until I got off to look. Sprocket has a snap ring holding it on the wheel, cush drive bolts bolt to the sprocket. I called Diamo for parts, busy every time I called, no call back, probably busy filling orders for cush drive bolts. Finally, I dreamed up a fix. The bolts where the sheered are 8mm diameter. I bought higher grade (not hard to find, about anything is) 10mm stainless bolts, cut the nuts in half length wise with an angle grinder so they'd fit under the sprocket. I drilled out the cush drive inserts to fit the bigger bolts, bolted 'em on the sprocket and loctited. Drilled 'em and safety wired 'em in place. They've been working fine, better than stock. Chinese need to hire me to re-engineer some of their stuff. :rofl:

Probably if I'd used the bike only on the street, the bolts would have held up, maybe. I mean, I show it no love in the mud and the muck, but I've yet to have a single problem with the little motor and I've shown it no love, either. The few problems I have had with it are all in the chassis and electrics, minor stuff. The cush drive bolts were the only semi-major problem, one that I couldn't get home under power with. A Japanese bike, a Honda, wouldn't have had that problem, though. The bolts would have the proper strength and diameter for 150 percent of any stress it could possibly see. I don't see that sort of over-engineering in this bike, but for what I gave for it, it's fun and pretty reliable. Beats an Indian Enfield anyway. :lol2: It definitely does what I need it to do. Fortunately, I have other motorcycles for long rides.

I can cruise at 55-60 with out to much issue out of the crate. If I recall the dealer said they put 46 tooth rears on the current ones.

I can cruise at 55-60 with out to much issue out of the crate. If I recall the dealer said they put 46 tooth rears on the current ones.

Mine had a 56 tooth. I've had it 4 years. I dropped to 46 and it's about right. A little taller would be fine with no head wind, but a heavy head wind and I have to go into a flat track tuck. :lol2: It's still rideable in the dirt, so I figure it's about right.:mrgreen: If I wanted to stay on the street only, I might go a tooth bigger on the CS sprocket. But, the primary reason I got this thing other than it was cheap is to use on my place off road. I sold my 4x4 Toyota and when it's wet down there, this is all I have to tend my feeders and drag out deer and such. I just ain't into ATVs, would sit for months without use. I ride the little 200 around town to keep the gas fresh if nothing else. :lol2:

My guess is that it is reading kilometers, not miles. So you would have basically 112.5 miles at 1.5 gallons, giving you 75mpg. Not bad really.

Well I just double checked the speedo. It says M.P.H at the bottom. No KMH markers anywhere and does not state kmh or mph near the trip or odometer. The book doesn't specify either. It does call a blinker a winker. :shrug:

I think it's common for chinese bikes to read mph on the speedo but km's on the odo. I forgot why they do it, I think it's a cost issue. But like was mentioned earlier, use a gps and compare the distance between what your odo says and the gps. Then you'll know for sure. Either way, you're getting pretty good mpg.

When they convert a speedo to MPH, they can just change the face, but the odo is not going to read in miles unless the gear ratios are changed.

The funny thing about that little Lifan, it said MPH, but it quite definitely READ KPH. :rofl: That boy was like, "Man this thing is fast, zips right up to 65!" (43 mph or so) ....:rofl: I bet he never got a ticket.

Welllll, it looks like the odometer and the trip are KMH. Looks like I might have to name the bike 1 click. :lol2:

1,000 Km = 1 click which is 1 grid square on a MGRS map.

Post some pics of the LF. I have a Kawi 250 for a street ride, but a little cheap bike like this might be fun for the dirt roads at the ranch.

Here is one. If you need to see a bigger shot just click on the My Flickr link at the bottom.

2585909466_73ee5841e7.jpg

Back