• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody Need Some Stock 1k Strom Cans?

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Thomas
Well, I had some time on my hands and decided to get some work done. I installed some Leo Vince SBK cans on my Strom.

V-strom2003012.jpg

It took about 45 minutes and that includes taking off the givi frames for my side and top bags. I had to muscle the left side on so that it would line up with the right one.

Since the baffles were already in, I decided to take a 30 mile jaunt to see if the fuel injection was still GTG and to hear the sound. Basically, it sounds the same as stock, with just a little bit deeper tone. Kind of sounds like a sewing machine with a sore throat now. :mrgreen: The fuel injection was still spot-on. I chopped the throttle in second to see if I could back-fire it but it didn't happen. The bike seemed to throttle up a bit quicker while rowing thru the gears. Bottom Line: I didn't really think it sounded all that much better and the performance was negligible.

Now for the fun part, trying to take the @#$$#@!!!! baffles out! A rubber hammer strategically tapped around the right side can worked and the baffle came out with a firm tug. The left side wasn't having it. I put on my Hulk face on and wasted a good hour trying to get the baffle out. Eventually, I gave up the good fight and ended up removing the can from the bike. I used a large wooden dowel to go from the other side and pop out the baffle. Sweet success!

Now, the bike sounds like a true v-twin! It might be a bit loud for the neighbors, but if they can deal with the Harleys, they can deal with my lone strom. Once again, I felt as though the bike spun up a bit quicker and I could not bog down the bike or get any back fires (even when I chopped the throttle).

Here's a shot with the bike all buttoned up:

V-strom2003020.jpg

I have a PCIII that I am still contemplating putting on. The bike had no issues running today with the Leo Vince's on. I did add another farkle I stuck on as well:

1989FordMustang007.jpg

Two Questions.
1. Will the stock can fit on a 650?
2. Where can I get those checkered flag graphics?

Sorry, but I can't help you with either question. The stickers came with the bike when I bought it. I'm sure someone knows the question about the 650 to 1k switch.

Two Questions.
1. Will the stock can fit on a 650?

I'm sure someone knows the question about the 650 to 1k switch.

Gut feeling was "no", but checking shows 2 different part numbers:

03 DL1000: 14305-06G10-H01 (plus two similar)
04 DL650: 14305-27E10-H01 (plus 3 similar)

:eek2: The 650 muffler sells for $700+ and I sold my stock one for $50! :doh:

Back