• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual tread compound tires

Reaction score
I know that I have read about m/c tires with relatively hard compound in the center of the tread for longer service on the super slab and a softer compound on the sides for grip. Recall brands and names? Thanks.

Michelin's... Avon's... are the 2 that I know of ;-)

Oh... and Dunlop is now running the Street Smart's too.

I can vouch for the Michelins. I have Pilot Road 2s on my FJR. the stock tires were out at 4500 miles, these have about 40% left after 5500 miles. Grip is wonderful, and the hard center section is up to handling the grind of a boring commute.

I have heard good things so far from folks using the Dunlops on ST-1300s too.

Bridgestone's Spitfire tire is dual compound. I've used them on two bikes. Good tires.

Thanks all. I didn't think I dreamed up dual compound tires on my own. Now the next step is to find correct size, cord body and load rating for my K LT trike. Even with the considerable additional weight and with all the center of the tread doing all the work, the K LT trike gets good tire mileage.

Deleted

Last edited:
For a K LT?
fuggedaboudit. There are no dual compound rear tires that have the required load rating.

for a trike?
no reason to get a dual compound since you'll never get off the middle of the tire (at least not while upright).

Stick with the ME880 for best tire life.

Didn't realize it was for a trike. The benefit of the dual compound would be lost in that application. Save the price difference and select an appropriate single compound tire.

Thanks all. I didn't think I dreamed up dual compound tires on my own. Now the next step is to find correct size, cord body and load rating for my K LT trike. Even with the considerable additional weight and with all the center of the tread doing all the work, the K LT trike gets good tire mileage.

If it's a K2LT(99-03) not K12LT, then Avon Storms would work.

Get the hardest compound tire you can find for the front. It will probably be an H rated as they are generally harder compound than V and above according to correspondence with Dunlop and Michelin reps.
;-) U could probably fish about and find a good car tire that would fit it. ;-).
BTW I'm using Dunlop Roadsmarts on my bandit. Dual compound also.

Back