• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inaugural Austin BBQ Run I - Coopers BBQ - Llano - 3/12/05

Reaction score
The Inaugural Austin Area BBQ Run I - Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas - March 12, 2005 Ride Report

I have created a webpage with all of the pics that Daryl & Linda took.

The Inaugural Austin Area BBQ Run I - Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas - March 12, 2005

I will add who/where to the picture pages, I just wanted to get these up first.

Here is the text of the page:
The Inaugural Austin Area BBQ Run I
Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas - March 12, 2005

We met at 9:45am at the HEB gas station on 71 near the 2244 intersection, as noted, if we meet in the same area again, the Chevron station would probably be a better place to meet since the restrooms are not across the parking lot.Daryl and Linda were already there on their ST1300 when I arrived. The others arrived very soon afterwards so we had a little time for introductions, hellos and gassing up before we headed out about 10:20. We pulled out onto 71 was was very busy this time of day, evidently there wasa white minivan who thought I was a good drafting opportunity as he seemed to ride about a foot off my tag after he had squeezed inbetween Daryl/Linda and I. I pulled over into the right line just to let him by and get back with the group. This guy was obviously very late for something important at the lake. Once we cleared the four lane section of 71 we were behind a car and a truck, but since they were running around the speed limit we just stayed behind them since there were no passing zones long enough to get the group by them. Whoa got distracted by some dirt, he broke of to explore some roads on the way there.
Austin Attendees:
Daryl - Daryl & Linda - Honda ST1300 -Austin
bluedogok - Scott - Triumph SprintST - Austin
utlonghorn - Rob - Kawasaki EX500 - Austin
whoa - David - Triumph Tiger - Austin
Ajax - Dana - Honda CBR600RR -Austin
Aileron - Chris - Kawasaki ZX-11 -Austin
lurker - Steven - Ducati Monster 620 - Austin

We arrived at Coopers pretty much at the scheduled 11:30am time and found 2 parking spaces open right next to the line. The Plano contingent was already there, it seems instead of the longer route that Rocket Cowboy had proposed they just did a flyer down I-35 to 29 and arrived at Coopers a little after 10:00am.
Plano contingent:
Rocket Cowboy - Charlie - Honda ST1300 - Plano
Dragwn - Keith - Kawasaki Concours - Plano
lurker - Larry - not sure what he was riding - Plano

As we de-geared and said hello to everyone, Dketchum rides up and parks down with the Plano bikes. He had ridden up from San Antonio. It was nice to see Dave again and catch up on things since the STN National Meet that we did in Eureka Springs, Arkansas last summer.
San Antonio Rider:
Dketchum - Dave - Honda ST1300 - San Antonio

It seemed like another popular Saturday at Coopers as there were a bunch of bikes already there and more were there after we finished up. Whoa showed up a little later and with the line headed out to find some more dirt to try out his Triumph Tiger on. It also looked like an area Impala SS club was having a meet there also as there were quite a few of those cars there and in the annex with us. Everyone filled up on BBQ, we met in the little annex room that they have there so everyone could sit together. When we came out, the parking spots on both sides of our 2 spots had a trio of BMW bikes and a couple of cruisers parked in them. We said our goodbyes to the Plano contigent and Dave as he headed back to San Antonio.

We geared up and headed out on 29 East to find Park Road 4 just past Buchanan Lake.We had some riders get caught in traffic in Llano and pulled over to wait for them just down from the light. A semi driver waved us out in front of him which was very nice. After passing the Bald Eagle nesting area off of 29 (which had a bunch of people stopped there) we went on for our search of Park Road 4. I had only been on PR-4 once, when txmedic led a ride from Cedar Park to Coopers last year, so it was going the other way. Traffic wasn't too bad on the road and we had a few drivers pull over to let us pass. We gathered back up together before we headed down 281 to Marble Falls for a gas stop and break. It seems CBR600RR's are a little thirsty and have smallish tanks, most of us topped off the tanks and took a little break before heading out. I had thrown out the idea of stopping at The Bluebonnet Cafe since we were in Marble Falls for desert, but some of the riders had to get back in a little while so we just headed for 1431.

We had a nice pace on 1431 and dealt with a little traffic and some drivers pulled over again to let us by. We had the requisite slow down through Jonestown as I have heard of some speed trap stories through there. The rest of the group broke off at Lime Creek Road, we waved so long and Rob and I headed down Lime Creek Road. I had only ridden it once, on the way home from the Hico Pie Run with SVin Austin so I was still a little tenative on the road. There were quite a few other riders on it including a guy on a lime green motard that passed us heading north and turned around when we were pulled over at Volente Beach to let some other riders pass. I missed the Bullick Hollow Road turn and we came out onto 620. Rob had to head for work so he turned off at 2222 and I headed home on 620.

I did have one close call on 620, I was coming upon the light at Loehmans Crossing and it turned yellow, I slowed down since there was a Lakeway Police officer a few cars ahead. I looked in my mirrors and a woman behind me in a black Camry (which I had been watching closely) didn't look like she was going to stop so I eased over into the middle turn lane and she goes by me through the red light about 3 feet away adjusting at the last minute away from me. The Excursion following her just stayed back and allowed me to pull over when the light turned green. I pulled up right beside her at the light at 71 and just shook my head.

I think it was a good trip for all, except for maybe Dragwn since I read a post stating that his bike was trailered the last 50 miles or so. I guess we will find out what happened there. Great weather for March except for some wind to deal with. Hopefully everyone and more can make it to BBQ Run II at The Salt Lick in Driftwood on April 9.

If anyone else has their pics and/or text that want to be added to the website, just let me know and I will update the page with everyone else's reports and pics.

Thanks to everyone who came out, be sure to sign up for next months run to The Salt Lick in Driftwood on April 9.

Good write up Scott. I was talking to a young lady at a sandwich shop and she asked what was up with all the motorcycles? She thought there was a convention in town. Told her it was the first good weather in a while. Couldn't believe the amount of traffic running around Llano, and in line at Coopers!

At the point where people were watching and photographing the birds, I was looking for a way down to the river. A lot of private roads down but I didn't notice any public access. What little I could see of the river was fantastic though.

Was hoping to find a way from PR 4 to FM1174 without going through Marble Falls but didn't want to lose much time since I was going to run Cow Creek Rd. and hit Lime Creek a couple of times. Hadn't been by Longhorn Caverns since I was a kid.

Scott,

Great write-up! Linda & Daryl - those are some great pictures! The scenery along the Llano River was really neat - it's been awhile since I've been out that way and was the first time on PR4 since a high school camping trip in 1986. Ajax liked it so much that he took his family out there today in the Family Truckster.

Looks like I missed the fun as well.

I noticed they put you guys in the auxillary eating area like on the Austin Redemption Ride.

Maybe I'll make the next one.

Back