• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bullet cam recording

What do you guys for recording?

So far all I've used is my pocket Nikon Coolpix S7c. With the 2gb card I can get some good video. The sound isn't the best, but if you have a clean windscreen, and try to position the unit to remove/reduce glare it does a good job.

I'm starting to also look at the bullet camera's. Man there's a bunch of them out there......

I picked up a Sony bullet cam for 30 bucks on eBay. Seems to have great indoor quality... just looking for something to record with so I can try it on a ride.

Atc2k

My comments on this vid recorder thus far.

1. Convenient because it is self-contained.
  2. Small; will fit almost anywhere. And light weight.
  3. Resolution is a bit low, but what do you want for <$100? Quality is better with very high speed card!
  4. Unable to adjust exposure quick enough in fast light changing conditions. Such as going in and out of shadows on a bright sunny day.
  5. Biggest draw back is the guess work on positioning the danged thing. There's no way to tell what the camera is 'seeing'. So I found nearly all of my video capture in Tennessee was the ground. Except for when I went under a leaning tree (single track) and it moved the video cam up.
  6. It seems to be water proof. It got completely sprayed with water in a creek crossing. (that vid clip is awesome ;) )
  7. Difficult to clean the lens because it is recessed so far. I am wondering about replacing the lens because I notice mine has a scratch on it :(

Been playing around with one of these. My biggest gripe is that it will only take up to a 2Gig card. http://www.goprocamera.com/
Cool. I like it. Quality seems a bit better than the Oregon Sci bullet cam and still a reasonable price.
What about positioning the camera on your helmet or bike? Does it have some type of preview?

And it is mac OS compatible!!!!! :clap:

Re: memory. Carry several 2GB cards. Better that way in case one card 'explodes' :mrgreen:

Cool. I like it. Quality seems a bit better than the Oregon Sci bullet cam and still a reasonable price.
What about positioning the camera on your helmet or bike? Does it have some type of preview?

Re: memory. Carry several 2GB cards. Better that way in case one card 'explodes' :mrgreen:

It has no preview or playback capabilities. Just a small hard to use viewfinder. It comes with a couple mounts. I've been using a ram mount with mine. Pretty easy to adjust. You can get a helmet mount for it as well.

I have a Moto Comm DSR-100. Records in 320 X 240, so the quality isn't way high. That said, it is easy to use, comes with a zillion cables and such to allow easy hook up. I prefer to helmet cam it, and either put it in a tank bag or in a fanny pack. No moving parts, I use a 2 Gig SD card, good for over 3 hours of video.

P2165575.JPG

P2165580.JPG

P2165573.JPG

P2165571.JPG

Here are a couple of videos I shot using the helmet cam

helmet cam 1

helmet cam 2

Here is a picture of the bike cam set up on me, note my wire is out of whack. This is taken just after I passed the Aprilia up over the blind rise. click for a big 'un

IMG_12907.jpg

Here is a shot of the rig on the gixxer still using a fanny pack.

_MG_3914.jpg

Here is one out the back of the gixxer

Gixxer Rear View

How is it with vibration? Meaning how well does it shoot bolted to the bike? Looks like a great toy. Got any video you have shot with it?

Which one; (Action HD - 1080P High Definition Camcorder w/ Optical Zoom) this one? I'm confused (20Twenty cam?)

I would highly recommend the new HD model, It's the same price I payed for the dinosaur I bought a while back with low res.

Here's the 20twenty cams.
I don't know about the new vhold cam but it looks sweet!
Good luck!

Which one; (Action HD - 1080P High Definition Camcorder w/ Optical Zoom) this one? I'm confused (20Twenty cam?)

The referened site uses frames so you can't give a page url. But here's the details for the HD model for $199. Dig a little on the site and you'll see the following and some tables on performance etc.

So Warpbender - how do you mount this unit? and were you using this WITH a Twenty20 camera. I too am confused.

Product Features
• 1080P High Definition Digital Camcorder:
Capture stunning HD 1080P (1440 x 1080 - 16:9 aspect ratio) video at 30 frames per second with advanced H.264 high end compression technology. Playback on your HD-TV, Standard TV, and your PC or Mac!

• Perfect for Sports & Fast Action Events w/ 720P HD @ 60 FPS:
Capture stunning HD 720P (1280 x 720 - 16:9 aspect ratio) video at 60 frames per second. Perfect for any sporting events! Playback on your HD-TV, Standard TV, and your PC or Mac!

• Personal Media Player & Recorder:
Connect the camera to your TV/VCR/DVD player to record your favorite movies, TV shows, and other favorite videos. Playback directly on the 2.4" LCD or create your own Digital Video Library. Records from any device that has RCA outputs for entertainment on the go!

• Digital Still Camera:
Capture 8 Mega Pixel images. Macro lens enables you to take exceptional quality close-ups.

• 3x Optical Zoom w/ Auto Focus:
3x Optical Zoom with Auto Focus while recording for the best possible movies and photos.

• Swivel-Reversible 2.4" TFT Color LCD Display:
Review and playback you HD video clips and hi-res pictures in real time. LCD swivels 270° for unlimited video and photo taking.

• 2-inch Macro Zoom:
Capture 2 inch close-up still image or video clips.

• Night Shot:
Enhance image quality in low light situations.

• LED Lights:
Built-in LED lights for video recording in low light situations.

• Convenient Power Charging:
Built-in Charger! Charge via computer USB port or via AC adapter.

• HDTV Component Output:
Connect your Action HD to your HD-TV Component input ports to display your high definition video clips and still pictures, sharing them with friends and family.

• Removable Hard Disk and SD/MMC Card Reader:
The Action HD allows you to use up to 32GB of SD card storage to record longer video before having to upload to your PC.

Specifications

Image Sensor
5 Mega-Pixel CMOS (2592 x 1944)
Lens
3x Optical Zoom lens
(7.5mm ~ 21.5mm, F 3.6 ~ 6.7)
Still Image
3200 x 2400 Pixels (8 Mega Pixel)
2560 x 1920 Pixels (5 Mega Pixel)
2048 x 1536 Pixels (3 Mega Pixel)
Movie Mode
1440 x 1080 Pixels (H.264) up to 30 fps
1280 x 720 Pixels (H.264) up to 60 fps
720 x 480 Pixels (D1) up to 60 fps
352 x 240 Pixels (CIF) up to 30 fps
Video Format
.MOV
Macro Mode
5 ~ 30cm (at 1x fixed zoom)
Normal Mode: 30cm ~ infinity
LCD Display
2.4” TFT Panel with 270° Rotation
Internal Memory
128MB built-in; 90MB for Storage
External Memory
SD Card Slot (Max. 32GB SDHC)
AV-IN
YES, Record at 640 x 480 (VGA)
TV Out
HDTV (Component Out)
NTSC/PAL Color System Supported
Interface
USB2.0
Battery
NP-60 Li-Ion battery

So Warpbender - how do you mount this unit? and were you using this WITH a Twenty20 camera. I too am confused.

I have a tank mount now but I used to use a regular small camera bag on my belt, or use the strap around waist or shoulder.
as far as the bullet I always use the hi strength Velcro (aviation) and mount the bullet anywhere, bike, helmet, or self etc.

I had a DR650 with a stereo so turn down the volume if you don't like offensive rock.
Example.

I have a tank mount now but I used to use a regular small camera bag on my belt, or use the strap around waist or shoulder.
as far as the bullet I always use the hi strength Velcro (aviation) and mount the bullet anywhere, bike, helmet, or self etc.

I had a DR650 with a stereo so turn down the volume if you don't like offensive rock.
Example.

So are you using the bullet camera instead of the one you mentioned a few posts up? Does it plug into the camera recorder you mention? That's where I'm confused.

So are you using the bullet camera instead of the one you mentioned a few posts up? Does it plug into the camera recorder you mention? That's where I'm confused.

I was given the 20twenty helmet cam for my birthday so I needed a recorder for it.
Once I picked up the Aiptek I used the bullet a couple times but ended up likeing the recorder solo.:rider:

just a thought here.
BACK in the day when I first started messing around with YSR50's I wanted an on bike rig. Well this was back in the day of full size VHS camcorders so I strapped one on the tank. NOTHING! The vibration was so intense that the camera refused to track. So I built a styrofoam cradle and mounted the camera in it. This allowed the camera to record some but rpms and speed still were a factor in the camera cutting on and off. After a ton of testing what I came up with was this:
A heavy high density rubber mat on the tank the styrofoam cradle ontop of that then a thick layer of foam rubber. The camera was placed in the rig and strapped down. Pretty bulky but it worked great! So what the point?
All of the camera mounts I see are SOLID mounts to the bike and subject the camera to all of the vibration. If someone built a camera mount that had different types of vibration dampening to handle different frequencies like I did I think you could pull some very good video with the cameras available
SRAD

If someone built a camera mount that had different types of vibration dampening to handle different frequencies like I did I think you could pull some very good video with the cameras available
I wonder if foam tape surrounding the vidcam would work.
I'm considering a small videocam, the kind that uses the small tape cassettes. Quality is quite good, easily converted to digital, prices are relatively low and they are small, small. Only a few have IS.

for MX helmets you can mount GoPro3 with the wrist band (cheapest option) over the chin part of the helmet, you can see it at he begining (not me, yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvDjyItLu8

also for a street bike im looking at the Flip Mino for $150, mounts vertically with a tripod mount, say a RAM type, not water proof or expandable but doesn't need batteries, but does have playback and better video

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_mino.shtml#scene=sceneMain

Re: the ATC2K bullet cam:
Anyone know how to prevent it from shutting down in vibration conditions? I had it on the handlebar and it did fine on tarmac, but once off-road and a bit bumpy, it shuts down.

Back