• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Video Editing software

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
What software is everyone using for editing their video? So far all I have are little clips ranging from about 15 seconds to several minutes.

I've got Adobe Elements but havent' really figured out if that's the way to go for editing.

I have used Adobe Premier but currently I use Liquid Edition. A lot of my stuff if digitizing 8mm and super 8mm film and putting it on DVD. Both of these software packages have a lot of filters and transitions you can use to enhance video

Win or Mac?

I'm on Vista and I use Movie Maker for video and Photo Story to piece together stills. I can do both in MM, but I find Photostory's customization easier to work with for the individual pics. Both are free, which was my first concern because I'm not really doing anything fancy and don't see the need to spend $$ on things I'll just need to learn to use and probably won't even use to their full potential.

If you are on a Mac, use the built-in iMovie. Its a great piece of software.

If you're on Windows, then Adobe Premiere Elements would prolly be your best bang-for-the-buck option.

While MovieMaker can be used to produce some decent stuff, I can't stand it. Its level of control over the footage is just horrible. Not nearly enough options.
Please note: I use Final Cut Pro on my Mac and only used MM on XP so it may have improved.

If your using a Mac, then I have to say that iMovie is one of the simplest programs I have ever used. I used if for the first time tonight and was done with a very simple edit/publish in less time than it took me to download the video/pictures from the camera. I have used Photostory and Moviemaker, and well, iMovie beats them hands down.

But if using a PC, I found Adobe Premiere to be difficult and not very intuitive and have pretty much used Movie Maker or Photostory.

+1 regarding iMovie. I actually use it in some situations to edit TV spots. It exports directly to iDVD and there is now an HD version available.

Otherwise, I use FinalCut HD for both work and play.

I edited this with iMovie:

I edited this with FinalCut:

Premiere is what I use at work and home.

But I bet if you look on limewire you can find a copy of vegas video from sony. It works pretty well and does most of what premiere does. I used it to edit music videos when I lived in Austin and the only reason I switched to Premiere is because I use it all day and it's easier to not switch gears when I get home.

the new version of iMovie is driving me crazy!!!!! It won't let me edit a timeline, just clips. No one at the Mac store could figure out how to view the timeline, the answer I got was that it won't do it.
The older version of iMovie was GREAT!

For PC I'd say premier elements is a good bang for the buck

A couple more for kicks
On the PC my longstanding favorite has been Vegas Video. It kicks ***** even on lo end systems
On the Mac, Final Cut Express does 95 percent of the jobs.

I discovered that my Mac won't play with my Sony camcorder. I am peeved...

I heard IMovie is great, but I guess I won't find out. Time to fire up the old PC and see if I can make something work on that. Bummer.

Dave

I discovered that my Mac won't play with my Sony camcorder. I am peeved...

I heard IMovie is great, but I guess I won't find out. Time to fire up the old PC and see if I can make something work on that. Bummer.

Dave

don't feel bad, iMovie didn't lke my samsung either.

The older version of I movie rocks.

+1, the new one is no good. You can't veiw as a time line just clips, and to me the importing is not that great, and as stated above it doesn't seem to like my samsung.
unfortunately if you have a new Mac I don't think you can go back to the old version of Imovie because if the different processor

If you're serious about getting into it I would use Final Cut Pro. Might a little pricey though. Honestly though you can make very decent videos with simpler programs like Movie Maker and iMovie, which are free.

Don't forget Final Cut Express. Quite a bit more capability than iMovie, and while it doesn't have all the features of Final Cut Studio, $69 through any friendly college student ain't bad either.

Back