• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tires

BBBH

Reaction score
After the nail in my rear tire this Saturday I have decided to get a new set. Stock are Stones BT-020 and I have been very happy with them. The front is OK but the rear is pretty worn. That FJR sure has some juice. Anyway, I am open to trying something new. Anyone want to share their expreriences with the major brands. Wet grip, dry grip, mileage, ride quality etc. Any suggestions?

Stones BT-020
Michelin Pilot Roads
Metzler Z6
Dunlop D220
Avon AV46

I want to stick with a "sport touring" type of tire for mileage reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sold on the Avons. I put them on a 540 lbs/130 hp Bandit and they were still in great condition after 5000 miles. They stick well in all conditions and have a hazard warranty for the first couple of millimeters of tread wear. I know of three people who have tested the hazard warranty and Avon lived up to their promise immediately.

Scott,...........I'm running the (Michelin Pilot Roads) on the Blackbird.......Good traction and longer wear than the sport version........Can't go wrong.
I, how ever have heard some good things about the Avon's, so much so that I'm going to try a set next skining.........I know this doesn't help by not picking just one, but I think you can't go wrong with either one......

I have had great luck with the Z6's on my VFR. I just replaced the rear at 7K because of a nail, but it probably had another 700-1K miles left on it. The front looks like it has another 1-2K as well. Great wet and dry grip. It is hard to beat a road hazard warranty, though...

Hey Scott- I really like the Pilot Roads. I'm trying the Avons next time, just to see if the amazing mileage reports are for real. The BT020's are priced well, thats so you can buy a new seat after you pinch holes in the current one with wet-weather pucker events. scratch likes 'em tho, go figure. Check with Leon, I think he has tried a couple differnt skins on his FJR.

I had an AV46 on my ZX9 and it lasted 15k through every kind of abuse I could dish out. It was also a very easy tire to get along with. Handling was great. But I probably would have changed it out at 10k if it hadn't been for a trip I was taking. The tire got a bit too hard for agressive riding, so I burned the rest off on a 4k trip around the country.

So far, my fave ST tire is the Dunlop D220. Mileage is only average (can't seem to get ANY rear tire to last more than @ 4,500 miles or so) but I like how they handle and stick. Been hearing so much positive talk about the Avons that I think I'll give them a try next.

STrider said:
Hey Scott- I really like the Pilot Roads. I'm trying the Avons next time, just to see if the amazing mileage reports are for real. The BT020's are priced well, thats so you can buy a new seat after you pinch holes in the current one with wet-weather pucker events. scratch likes 'em tho, go figure. Check with Leon, I think he has tried a couple differnt skins on his FJR.

Well if my first ride in rain on pilot roads is any indication of how well they handle wet these will be my last set. Having both front and rear sliding at the same time at 60 isn't my idea of fun especially when I'm riding very conservatively.

They were at only about 50 miles since they were mounted, so I'll give em a break till the next wet weather day now that they have a few hundred miles on em. I'll be pretty leary though till they prove themselves now. :)

They have held up without flattening the center at all for a long high speed run from Bastrop to Grapevine, and about 100 more miles of non twisty riding. The 020's would already be showing a little flat spot I think.

I'll probably try a set of Avons next anyway. I love the front Avon on my harley.

huh, even brand new I haven't had 'em slide (pilot roads), but I am pretty timid for the 1st 50-100 miles. I agree, they definitely seem to hold roundness longer than the 020's.

Dyna, update on wet weather performance when you get a chance.

My 02 Bandit 1200 came with Michelin Macadam 90. I have 7,000 miles on the rear with maybe another 1,000 miles before the center is bald. The front went square about a 1,000 miles ago. I will replace both with either Macadam 100 or Pilot Roads. These tires have more grip than I can use and I like the higher mileage

STrider said:
huh, even brand new I haven't had 'em slide (pilot roads), but I am pretty timid for the 1st 50-100 miles. I agree, they definitely seem to hold roundness longer than the 020's.

Dyna, update on wet weather performance when you get a chance.

I'll post up about em again, as soon as I get stuck in another rain storm.

They were cutting loose on every tar snake, and every tire track that the tar had floated to the surface. That's where I got the big scare, on a 12ft by 2 ft tarry spot where the chipseal was under the tar. Both ends cut loose and I almost went down.

I heard they were supposed to be very good wet, which is why I decided to go ahead with trip on em new in the wet in the first place.

Dyna Sport said:
...I heard they were supposed to be very good wet, which is why I decided to go ahead with trip on em new in the wet in the first place.

Tar snakes are just pure evil. I've never had a tire that didn't slip on them in the wet. Doesn't take hardly any lean angle at all to feel them start to go, so I always tip-toe through them very gingerly in the rain. In hot weather those blasted snakes are greasy and in cold weather they'll let you lean just fine to certain point then all the sudden the tire will skip out.
Grrrrr! :miffed:

Thanks folks! Decisions.....decisions.....Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.

Also on the farkle list is a Superbrace, a set of Throttlemeisters and a Powerlet. I need to get some power to run radar and heated clothing.

It will be interesting what the bike feels like with the Superbrace. Probably not a big difference just a bit more feedback.

Thanks again folks. I ended up going with the Metzler Z6. The front get's mounted this Saturday. I'll let you know how they feel.

I suspect John, that you coulda had wet weather racing rubber for grip at operating temperature and you'd still have slid offa those tar snakes, just from what I'm hearing now.

Give 'em a chance, I'm going to have to choose between Pilot Roads and Avons (not sure of the Avon tire designation code, some one will chime in B) and I want to hear how they go when NOT riding the tar snake tango.

The Triumph weighs in at 485 pounds, probably 500 with fuel and tank bag ... pretty stable through the bumps but does like to slide the rear if provoked (I don't mind that but the front has to be PLANTED far as I'm concerned) ... I would of course like the best of all worlds, tons of grip AND 8k mileage heh heh.

I have been using sport front tires and ST rears lately to ensure a planted front end. Due to good results with such a setup, I have an M1 front/Z6 rear combo up next.

This is like politics and religion????????????? Who the heck knows my first set of Pilot roads 7K this set 2300 it is a crap shoot and depends on how and where you ride
Steve

scratch said:
So far, my fave ST tire is the Dunlop D220. Mileage is only average (can't seem to get ANY rear tire to last more than @ 4,500 miles or so) but I like how they handle and stick. Been hearing so much positive talk about the Avons that I think I'll give them a try next.

I've heard from good things about the Avon's as well over at the SV forum.

If you like he D220's you'll love Metzler Z6's. I thought the OEM 220's on my SV were great until I replaced them with he Z6's. Confident these are all I'll ever need for street riding although I may give the Avons a try next time around. The Z6's are much more confidence inspiring and once you've got the bike in mid lean, it stays put.

I just read a bunch of reports on the Roadtec Z6's (Metzler) as fitted to a bunch of long rangy wheelbased 100 and a bit HP sport tourers (Moto Guzzi, BMW, FJ1100 and a mid/late 90's Trophy ... all similar to my 98 900SS in effect) and they sound too good to not give a chance to.

I am going with those next set (pending immediately) and since I just took part in a little burnout fun on the weekend, I'm upgrading "immediatly" to "yesterday".

Pilot roads

I have a set of pilot roads, about 500mi. on them and have had no problems with them. I rode from Houston the Austin through severe thunderstorms on Sunday and the tire were great...pretty much a straight shot though, so I can't comment on their grip at the edges in the rain.

Steve

Jesse H said:
scratch said:

I've heard from good things about the Avon's as well over at the SV forum.

I too heard good things about the Avon's, so I put the AV45 front on in conjunction with a relatively new Pilot Road rear (flame away...). The AV45 was awful at first, with a very vague "dead" kind of feel and high turn in effort, followed by a "falling in" feeling. The tire was sufficiently scrubbed (IMHO). Then, all of sudden, like a switch, all is beer & skittles... :scratch Feel, turn in & tracking are spot on. I've heard of race tires "going off", anybody heard of a tire "coming on"?

At any rate, I am happy (now) with the AV45 front, will be more so if the mileage is as reported.

Doc said:
I just read a bunch of reports on the Roadtec Z6's (Metzler) as fitted to a bunch of long rangy wheelbased 100 and a bit HP sport tourers (Moto Guzzi, BMW, FJ1100 and a mid/late 90's Trophy ... all similar to my 98 900SS in effect) and they sound too good to not give a chance to.

I am going with those next set (pending immediately) and since I just took part in a little burnout fun on the weekend, I'm upgrading "immediatly" to "yesterday".

My VFR only has 90hp at the rear wheel, but I am getting 10k out of my front Z6 and 8k out of my rear Z6. I am happy with the stick and ride on them. I have used Z4s before, and didnt like that tire. I am on my second set of Z6s and have another rear in waiting.

Hope you find a tire that works well for you.

Vaughn

Back