• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sport/Tourbike Riding position

Reaction score
Since I have been observing/riding these types of bikes, I am amazed that the manufacturers continue to crank out these bikes with this uncomforatable riding position. I am sure that there must be some people that would agree with me? Do they think that everyone is going to the track?
Does anyone remember the good old days when you could buy an inline 4 with a good riding position? Some that come to mind would be the old Yamaha Maxim models, the Honda Nighthawk..etc. I am costantly seeing posts on many different sportbike sites where someone is trying to change the riding position because it is brutal on their wrists and back. Now I know why I see a lot of these guys riding one handed, they are giving the other hand a rest.

I have a feeling that soon we will see a change in the market sector that will force a change to a more comfortable riding position. Then we won't have to waste tons of money on modifications.

I have a 2002 Bandit which I do like, but the riding position is awful. I also have a 1995 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder, almost 50k, which is a true pleasure to ride, but does not have the balls that the Bandit has.

Does anyone agree?

Bill

My fella has a Honda RR that he would not go street wise very far on but hits the track every time it can, however, he LOVES my Suzuki SV650S as do I,, it does have a more upright position and is easier on the wrists. I do most of the riding on it with my legs though. I betcha that as the economy sees more riders the sport bike mfgrs will aclimate to them. Heck,, they cant all ride cruisers can they ?!? :brainsnap

I have a 2002 Bandit which I do like, but the riding position is awful. I also have a 1995 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder, almost 50k, which is a true pleasure to ride

To each his own but I find the riding position of the bandit MORE comfy than the Intruder, especially for distance riding.

The riding position on the Bandit is waaay different than say an R1 or GSX-R, for example. The Bandit has bars and the others have clip-ons. The others have an edge on the Bandit in handling. Everything is a trade off.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is something for everyone out there. :trust:

I have a feeling that soon we will see a change in the market sector that will force a change to a more comfortable riding position. Then we won't have to waste tons of money on modifications.
I don't know that I agree with this statement...that's why there are so many types of bikes....cruisers, standards, sportbikes, sport tourers, adventure tourers, etc.

You just have to find the one that is comfortable to you because comfort for one person could be excruciating for another and vice versa.

For me I find a standard to be the most comfortable (like my Bonnie :rider: ).

My Bonneville is my comfy commuter while my Superlight is going out for a fun run/not as comfortable but super fun bike.

There's alot of bikes that need a little fine tuning to get them exactly how you want it...Even high end sport tourers...For me, to get the bandit just right all it nees is handlebars and perhaps a taller windscreen.

My buds on the GSXR's and similiar can and will ride till i go
do the turnaround back to he house,the 08 gsxr is more comfy
than my Bandit.Ride 1 before ya think their not comfy.Look at
it and it looks bad but get on it and it is a lot of fun
Remember no suitcases mounted to the sides:lol2:
rworm
What WONDER said

There's a good reason why nearly all of the IBA Rally Riders are on touring bikes with upright riding positions.

I think a lot of it depends on height and weight. I've ridden some rockets a few times. I'm 6'3 and some are deffinitally better than others. I don't have a problem on stuff like a gsxr for a short time. But the bandit is for me at least a lot nicer after an hour or so. It's always nicer for my wife no matter the distance.

as long as people will buy them, they will keep making them...i agree that the trend rising in bike sales will influence production...but we won't be seeing a shortage of ss bikes..ever.

My 2 cents-The Z-REX sounds like your bike but no longer in production due to slow sales i would assume, The current Bandit is the closest thing for the buck as far as inline fours go. The style of bike your beckoning for is a slow seller thus they dont exsist anymore which is a shame. Kids want a full blown sport and they sell like hot cakes, Most elders want a cruiser or an FJR/Concours on up to a G-Wing but the naked standard/sport are for a select few, With a couple of low buck mods such as "taller shield and bars" Your good to go. SZ:sun:

The only bikes I have not had bar backs or risers on in the last 12 years were my KLR650's and DR350SEs. I put them on my R11 and R1150GSs. R11R and DL1000. Even on my DRZ400SE I had put on risers. The up and backs I had on the DL1000 I put on my Bandit. AS I got older, I wanted my back straighter for distance riding. I could stand for my BAndits bars to be about an inch further back but at the limits of Brake and Clutch hose length with the 1.5 up and backs. Since my bandit is working out so well in just the few months I've had it I may do something about that also.

Back