• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Steering

twist

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Okay, perhaps not a 'strictly speaking' bandit question, but most definitely bandit related (and maybe educational too) :sun:

Last night I test drove a 2000 Suzuki SV650 (for my wife), great shape, sounded perfect, ran exceptionally well, smooth shifting, fairly quick, only 8,500 miles on it - and the original owner ($3,300)

But the steering felt "funny" to me ...maybe stiff (?), reluctant to turn. It was rock solid straight line, ran great, it turned okay no 'problem,' there are no weird noises or anything, it just seemed like it was 'harder' to turn, it took more effort, it didn't want to lean over smoothly, like the bandit does.

So, my question: is this just me, my limited experience with different bikes? Is it the 1250 spoiling me with responsive, nimble and quick steering. Or is there a possible mechanical problem? There is nothing to indicate there is a mechanical issue, it hasn't been wrecked or anything - just 'feels' a lot different.

Is this just a normal phenomenon from switching bikes? Our Honda Shadow felt 'funny' to me too in the steering, so perhaps it's just the different characteristics between different bikes and just takes a little while to get accustomed to. :ponder:

Is the bandit really as nice and smooth as it appears in its handling - or should all motorcycles steer this nicely and anything even slightly different is suspect.

Sorry (in advance) if this is a silly question... :rider:

Well, first, that's a pretty high price, at least around here. I paid $3,400 for an '03 (FI) with around 10k miles back in '06.

And something may be wrong with it... the Bandit is great, but the SV is much more 'flickable' and quick to turn. Maybe it just 'felt' difficult to turn because it was different?

What size tire was on the rear? I should be a 160/55, but some people change them out for 180s which slows the steering... Was it lowered? If the rear was lowered, that can slow the steering...

Could be any number of things, but those are easy to check...

trey

I have to agree with Trey on the price point, and the handling. The SV should feel quicker on turn ins, but still stable. Could be improper service on the head bearings... too tight or not greased maybe. My 2001 was less money than that and has an Ohlins shock and Racetech valves and springs in the forks. I think you are on the right path looking for an SV for her, just look at and ride a few others before you plunk down the dough.

Wow, 3300 for a 2000... I should have asked for more for the 2005 model I sold. I sold it for $3400 and there were quite a few others out there for that price as well.

As far as handling goes, I'd think the SV would steer quicker than a bandit would ever dream of. I will also agree with Trey. SV's have a pretty good rep for only being lowered in the rear and then people never mess with the front. This slows the steering wayyyy down, and makes the bike want to fall over in the turns. Easy fix though..

What kind of steering damper did it have on it? If it's an aftermarket, it could be just that you need to back click it to loosen up the front end. if not, did he change the oil in it?

How low are the forks in the tripples? We had a race bike (GSXR750) that handled like a tank before we dropped 4mm on the front end. then it turned in quite nicely. almost too tight.

Great answers - Thank you all very much :clap:

For clarity, it's not that the handlebars themselves that were hard to turn, it was more that turning was 'hard' (maybe not the best choice of words). The bike felt like it didn't want to turn/lean - but I think perhaps DFW_Warrior said it better than me, that the bike felt like it "wanted to fall over" and the hard part of turning was having to correct this tendency :confused:

The tips on the price are particularly helpful, thanks again. :deal:

There just aren't many of the bikes I want for her available around here for some reason, and all the prices seem high. (I'm thinking: Suzuki GS500, 600 Bandit, GSX600F, Katana, SV650, Kawasaki Ninja 500 or 650) There's all the GSXR's and CBRRs, and the like you could ever want, but no nice mid-sized standards :doh: Well.... maybe a new one :loco:

Tell ya what Twist.. you find an SV for sale in the TX area and I'll ride the little sucker to Utah for ya!

What kind of steering damper did it have on it? If it's an aftermarket, it could be just that you need to back click it to loosen up the front end. if not, did he change the oil in it?

:ponder: Steering damper??? Huh? He said there was a steering damper on it? And the only type to put on an SV is aftermarket since the factory doesn't put them on any of them.

No, there was no damper, but I realize how that would make the handlebars hard to turn (but that's not the problem).

I also understand why someone would ask about this, based on my great command on the English language and the situation I was trying to describe... :trust:

:ponder: Steering damper??? Huh? He said there was a steering damper on it? And the only type to put on an SV is aftermarket since the factory doesn't put them on any of them.

Sorry, didn't know there wasn't one.

Sounds like a tire issue to me. Some new rubber (Continental Road Attacks) front and rear will make the SV dance.

+2 low front tire pressure.

I had a similar problem with a bike a guy brought by for me to look at. I checked the front tire and although it visually looked okay, it only had 25psi in it. Aired it up to 36psi and it was a completly different bike.

It doesn't matter in the least what kind of bike you want for her. She should select her own bike based on her preferences, not yours.

Marriage counselor in real life ??:lol2:

Of course, these are already HER preferences, WE have narrowed it down to these choices, based on HER desires and HER sitting on several in the dealerships. :clap:

I think she should just stay in the kitchen myself :rofl: - just kidding, no more flames please :rider:

Read the link Tim :giveup: - hey I followed all the rules!! :thumb:

Interesting site, interesting links, you are very busy (and a marriage counselor to boot.. :lol2: )

Thanks (sincerely) ;-)

Now, where can I find all these bikes that husbands are selling after just three months :trust:

I bought an 02 a couple of years ago.

The tires were shot and it handled terribly, (front especially) just like you described. One new set of tires later and it handled great.

...and don't forget how a flat-spotted rear tire makes the bike feel like it's "falling over" when it reaches the end of the spot and wants to use the side of the tire.

You know, I don't have anything to contribute towards the OP that hasn't already been said. I just wanted to give a big :clap: to the whole community here. This is all high quality content, good sense of humor, high signal-to-noise ratio stuff. I love this board!

:mrgreen:

Back