• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Changing the left hand cover

Reaction score
Had a little mishap the other day when Mr Gravel and Mr Gravity ganged up on me in the parking lot. The result is a scratched cover I want to replace. Have already bought the cover and gasket, but need a little advise on how to handle the cable coming out, pointed to here.

Photo-0018a.jpg

This cable sits between the cover and the gasket, which means one end has to be disconnected to pass through the centre of the gasket. Can anyone tell me what I will find when the cover comes off, where can the cable be disconnected and how much is involved?

I have no problem with undoing a few bolts for the cover, but don't know what to expect when I get it off and where the cable can be disconnected when I get there. Would appreciate a few words from someone's experience or the service manual.

Thanks for your help,
alister

Had a little mishap the other day when Mr Gravel and Mr Gravity ganged up on me in the parking lot. The result is a scratched cover I want to replace. Have already bought the cover and gasket, but need a little advise on how to handle the cable coming out, pointed to here.

Photo-0018a.jpg

This cable sits between the cover and the gasket, which means one end has to be disconnected to pass through the centre of the gasket. Can anyone tell me what I will find when the cover comes off, where can the cable be disconnected and how much is involved?

I have no problem with undoing a few bolts for the cover, but don't know what to expect when I get it off and where the cable can be disconnected when I get there. Would appreciate a few words from someone's experience or the service manual.

Thanks for your help,
alister

If you don't drain the engine oil first, you going to find a whole lot of oil real quick. If your just removing the cover, you do not need to disconnect the wiring going to the generator.

#1. Drain engine oil.

#2. Remove the generator cover.

#3. Remove the gasket and dowel pins.

#4. Apply Suzuki bond or equivalant lightly to the mating surfaces at
the parting line between the upper and lower crankcases.

#5. Install the dowel pins and new cover gasket.

#6. Install the generator cover and tighten the generator
cover bolts.

#7. Fit new gasket washers to the two upper cover screws, these
are the two scerws just below the bottom of the cyilnder barrel.

This is an easy fix. Follow wire coming out of stator up to the plug and un-plug it. Undo all the bolts on the cover. Cover will be held on snug even with bolts loose because its the stator and surrounded by magnets. Pull it free and un-screw the stator coil that is attached to the inside of the cover your removing. Add stator to new cover, add a little black RTV at the case half splits, add new gasket. Do not get the bolts mixed up as they are different lengths and two have rubber washers on them and need to go back in the exact spot they came out of. Be carefull installing the cover because the magnets will snatch it towrd the engine and if your fingers are in the way you will get a smashed finger or two. Be sure to clean both surfaces good before re-installing.

30 minute job tops.

Photo-0018a.jpg

Thanks for your help,
alister
Those are the wires from the generator
DO DRAIN THE OIL
The rest is simply unbolt and reinstall
rworm

Personally I would not drain the oil. Lean the bike with handle bar turned to you in full lock and lean it up against the garage wall. No oil spilt and you have a better vantage point to work on it looking down insteed of at it straight on. Do remove the sprocket gray cover.

If your just removing the cover, you do not need to disconnect the wiring going to the generator.

l.

Not totally necessary to remove it but way easier to work with it off the bike than on it. The stator screws and crank sensor will be attached to the old cover. Plus unplugging it takes maybe 2 seconds.:mrgreen:

Personally I would not drain the oil. Lean the bike with handle bar turned to you in full lock and lean it up against the garage wall. No oil spilt and you have a better vantage point to work on it looking down insteed of at it straight on. Do remove the sprocket gray cover.

Lean the bike against the wall ?? :confused: It scares me just to say that, the beast weights over 500 lbs and when it's going down - it's going down (personal experience :nono:)

just be careful :rider:

Lean the bike against the wall ?? :confused: It scares me just to say that, the beast weights over 500 lbs and when it's going down - it's going down (personal experience :nono:)

It is not going anywhere remember your changing a cover not wrestling it. I've leaned bikes against the wall many times to repair them just keep them in gear.

Been there, done that and when Mr. Gravity gets a hold of your Bandit she's going down quicker than you expect! The last time it happened inside the garage next to a wall and the breaking mirror punched a nice big hole in the drywall.

Which is why after TWO such incidents I left the cover alone, just touched up the paint instead.

Aloha,
Huladog

I dropped mine but my marks are hardly noticeable since my garage floor is very smooth. I don't even worry about it anymore. I did replace the clutch lever.:doh:

dont take the cover off! ....you will never be able to get it back on.

behind it are little people and they come running out, as soon as the last of the oil spills on the floor.

if you think putting the oil back in the cover, and then bolting it back on quickly so the oil doesnt spill out, you should try herding the little people back in, man they are fast and jump around when your try to pick them up.

i would never attempt to even loosen the screws, from what i hear, them boogers are real, real tight.

i mean waa-aaay tight, and that black thing, it falls out and runs with the little people into the cracks in the wall, and you'll never find it, man it just dissapears.

i would use a silver felt pen, and spray paint, wal mart usually has them.

dont take the cover off! ....you will never be able to get it back on.

behind it are little people and they come running out, as soon as the last of the oil spills on the floor.

if you think putting the oil back in the cover, and then bolting it back on quickly so the oil doesnt spill out, you should try herding the little people back in, man they are fast and jump around when your try to pick them up.

i would never attempt to even loosen the screws, from what i hear, them boogers are real, real tight.

i mean waa-aaay tight, and that black thing, it falls out and runs with the little people into the cracks in the wall, and you'll never find it, man it just dissapears.

i would use a silver felt pen, and spray paint, wal mart usually has them.

lickin' toads again ?? :rofl:

Back