• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone out there with a new 2009 Ultra?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Keefe
Getting ready to retire my '03 Ultra Classic and wondering if anyone out there owns or at least had a chance to ride the new 2009 model? Opinions?

I've riden my dad's 2008 ultra [105th edition]
it rides really smooth, very well balanced, but then your's is probably about the same. I don't really have anything to compare it too, but it does ride nice. one thing cool, it has a keyless ignition, you just have to keep the smart key thing in your pocket

They've added a fourth engine mount to tame the paint shaker effect when in neutral. I'm curious also about how much it had calmed down. I rode an 08 Road Glide and just could not get over that shake at idle. Above 1500 rpm it smooths out and all is well. I guess I'm spoiled by my counterbalanced Suzuki engine.

I test rode a 09 Street Glide today. The only reason (OK, ONE of the only reasons) I didnt bring it home was it wasn't vivid black. Silver (Pewter) isn't my color...The other reasons have NOTHING to do with the bike. Idle was smooth.

Anyone want to buy an '08 Honda Aero w/1300 miles? :)

Getting ready to retire my '03 Ultra Classic and wondering if anyone out there owns or at least had a chance to ride the new 2009 model? Opinions?

Retire your '03 Ultra Classic? Can you explain? Does that mean you're trading it in?

I test rode a 09 Street Glide today. The only reason (OK, ONE of the only reasons) I didnt bring it home was it wasn't vivid black.

HD dealer in Allen had two black ones in the showroom yesterday :trust:

I wish I could score a test ride on an '09 Road Glide :rider: Guess they are not shipping these out yet.

Street glide looks good, but I like the frame-mounted fairing and the higher ground clearance on the Roady :-P

HD dealer in Allen had two black ones in the showroom yesterday :trust:

I wish I could score a test ride on an '09 Road Glide :rider: Guess they are not shipping these out yet.

Street glide looks good, but I like the frame-mounted fairing and the higher ground clearance on the Roady :-P

No '09 RGs in Temple today. Road Glides are nice, but the Street Glide fits me pretty well (I sat on a '09 RK today, too tall). The 1" drop on the SG helps a lot. When (notice I dont say if) I get one, I will go with an aftermarket seat (Mustang?) with a narrower width to reduce the bowl-leg, semi-flat foot stance I have with the stock seat.

Hey, I have short legs, what can I say? :giveup:

They've added a fourth engine mount to tame the paint shaker effect when in neutral. I'm curious also about how much it had calmed down. I rode an 08 Road Glide and just could not get over that shake at idle. Above 1500 rpm it smooths out and all is well. I guess I'm spoiled by my counterbalanced Suzuki engine.

I like the idle. Why tame a bike that is smooth as glass off idle? If you lock that engine solid to the frame, that would calm it down, but then you would feel all that paint shaken.

HD chose to counterbalance all the bikes except the touring line. :shrug: Makes not sense to me. And, nobody at the local HD shop can explain that either, I have asked.

They changed the exhaust system where it's now a 2-1-2. The rear pipe doesn't Y out at the left side anymore it crosses under the frame in front of the rear tire. Supposed to be a lot cooler on the passenger but I haven't had a chance to ride one yet. I'm thinking about the Road Glide myself.

Picked mine up last Friday and outside of Saturday it has been raining of and on so only have 500 miles on it, not that I do not ride in the rain but usually do not ride to work starting out in the rain. Any way it handles great, sits up higher than my Road King and starting into a corner feels different because I am up higher, but will just take getting use to because it will roll right on through. I kept my 2003 Road King with 106,000 miles so I do ride enough to be able to tell a good ride from a bad.

Picked mine up last Friday and outside of Saturday it has been raining of and on so only have 500 miles on it, not that I do not ride in the rain but usually do not ride to work starting out in the rain. Any way it handles great, sits up higher than my Road King and starting into a corner feels different because I am up higher, but will just take getting use to because it will roll right on through. I kept my 2003 Road King with 106,000 miles so I do ride enough to be able to tell a good ride from a bad.

Congrats! :rider:

I guess I'm Old School, I want mine solid mounted to the frame. I think they did wrong when they went to the rubber mounts. I just can't picture myself riding a Milwakee Vibrator that doesn't vibrate. :rider:

Oh, you still know they are running, trust me.

But the new FL frame is getting rave reviews. Project lead was the guy that did the XR1200.

One of his criteria was that you should be able to into a sweeper dragging the floorboards, and while dragging get on the brakes without upsetting your line!

Somehow I don't think that was a criteria for the old frame :eek2:

Welcome to TWT!

:welcome:

Back