• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rear shock 'going off'?

Reaction score
Have any higher-mileage 1250 owners noticed a degradation of the performance of their rear shock as mileage increases? Mine's approaching 10k miles now and the bike's been feeling a big vague in a straight line and wobbly (more than usual) in bends. Both symptoms, it occured to me this morning, of insufficient rear rebound damping. The damping hasn't been touched for 1000s of miles, but I turned it up half a turn before I left for work and normal stability was restored.

I know no-one's messed with the adjuster, so the only conclusion that I can come to is that the damping performance is 'going off'. Most of my riding is two-up which can't help the shock, but I wouldn't expect it to start fading that soon. There's still some adjustment left (about 3/4 of a turn) but it looks as if a new shock will be on the shopping list some time soon. A good excuse for an upgrade on one hand, but I was planning on putting that expense off until next spring. By that stage the bike will have done over 20k miles and I can't imagine having any damping left at all....

I have about the same milage and ride about 85-90% of the time 2-up. No change in the ride from the shock. It should be noted that I've never found the shock to give good feedback to start with.

It may sound like a stupid question but did you check your tire (tyre) pressure?

It may sound like a stupid question but did you check your tire (tyre) pressure?

Not a stupid question at all but yes, I check them at least once a week. They never drop pressure unless the temperature drops considerably. This vagueness has been becoming more apparent over the last 2 or 3 weeks and I know that the tyre pressure has been consistent over that time.

The rebound settings on the shock don't seem to have much effect on my bike. The bike feels like it rides with almost no rebound damping at all. It's been that way since it was delivered. I've given up trying to adjust it.

Part of the problem with a bike like the bandit is the cheap suspension parts that are fitted from the factory. The silver lining to that cloud is that you have a good basic platform to build up from by adding on the bits that you want. Not what some design engineer thought you might want.

A Racetech fork kit is already sitting my garage waiting for a winter installation. Although one hasn't been choosen yet, a shock upgrade is also planned for the same time.

Does the 1250 have a nitrogen shock (or shocks) on the back? If so, you might have a leak, or perhaps just need to recharge.

Not what some design engineer thought you might want.

It won't have been what any design engineer thought I wanted - I'd bet you it was an accountant. He'll have said "You can't put that Ohlins race shock on there, Engineer San, this bike's going to be sold for peanuts.". And Engineer San will sigh deeply and go and find a cheap, nasty alternative that he knows won't do the bike any favours. And while he's at it he'll take off the current model GSXR forks (complete with radial Brembos) that the accountant didn't notice and put on some that don't have the damping set right but at least they're cheap.

Oh, I'd love to see the 1250 Bandit that the engineers wanted to create.....:rider:

A Racetech fork kit is already sitting my garage waiting for a winter installation.

I've got one of those sitting in the garage too, waiting for a rainy Sunday.

Although one hasn't been choosen yet, a shock upgrade is also planned for the same time.

Looks as if I'll be doing the same - a Wilbers unit is top of the list at the moment.

Tim Kreitz said:
Does the 1250 have a nitrogen shock (or shocks) on the back?

Shocks? SHOCKS? :eek2: No nitrogen as far as I know.

Your shock fluid is probably needing a change as well. If that's possible for a stocker.

Your shock fluid is probably needing a change as well. If that's possible for a stocker.

I wouldn't expect even a cheap shock to need a rebuild after 18 months and less than 10k miles. And even if it does need a fluid change it won't get one - any money I spend will be on a decent replacement.

I have a Ohlins triple ($1400 jewel) on the back of my '07 GSX-R600 racebike and it makes the bandit shock feel like the under dampened *** it really is. My 600 front forks have the Ohlins 25 mil kit up front and by comparison the Bandit forks are flimsy sticks.:eek2:

Yeah, Bandit suspensions suck. I came from a 06' ZX-6R Kawi and miss taking a corner without the entire bike twisting and that dreaded weavel (weave and wobble) making the bike feel like it is going to fold like a pretzel.

When I first got my 1250 I set preload to 5 (one more than stock?) and jacked up my rebound damping until she was a half turn to max. It worked, a bit. The ride got much harsher but my rear tire showed more inclination to stay planted.

I just recently dialed the rebound way back, to test a hunch about my steering during low speed, and I can tell you the adjustments do work and in fact to me are more noticeable than any fiddling I did with my ZX as she softened right up. Makes me wonder if it is because the Bandit shock is only adjustable from bad to worse.

Rick at Cogent Dynamics has Penske and Ohlins for the 1250, with the Penske as little as $599! depending on your needs.

Bottom line: Accountants always win.

The WP Fusion looks like a good one. Probably big bucks though.

fusion.jpg

Why does "cheap" almost always mean "poorly damped"? Given two sets of forks (or shocks), both non-adjustable, how can proper damping cost significantly more to manufacture than poor damping?

I guess I'm just a fun-lovin' n00b. After dialing in the Bandit's suspension for my weight, it feels just fine to me considering how much I paid for this bike.

I have over 15K on the 07 now and I weigh ~17.9 stone, had to preload at 5 and damp at 3/4 to H. Have not noticed any change in the rear shock preformance besides that it is cheaper then most. I am eyeing the Ohlins SU-715 now but need to save $1100 usd. Sproggy, you might have an issue with Suzuki and should get a free replacement shock. I have read that you ride 2 up sometimes but as long as your total weight is < 32 stone the bike should not show any issues.

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• mc_S46PR1C1LS_h.jpg
    mc_S46PR1C1LS_h.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Friend here at work bought a new '08 Busa and with only 300 miles on the clock the rear shock is puking oil everywhere. So this type failure does happen.

OEM suspension components on most bikes are cheap, Cheap, CHEAP. They merely function when brand new, but with every passing mile of abuse they just get progressively worst. I'm not looking forward to the day when I will HAVE TO replace the stock pogos (around 6,000 miles), but I DO look forward to the resulting improvements!

I have a buddy who is nearing 100,000 miles on his '03 FZ1. I gave him the factory shock off my '03 FZ when I put $800 into lowering, single rate springs, and upgrading my suspension. 50,000 miles on his first OEM shock, and another 50,000 miles on the OEM I gave him. He's a smoooooth rider and fast, Fast, FAST! I rode his bike and found it wallowing ALL OVER THE PLACE, but when he rides it's stable while he puts a knee down (???). I guess it's also about the skills ya gots....

Some people insist that so long as it's not leaking, the shock is still good. I insist that good suspension components isolates MY bad riding habits from the road, and the bike behaves beneath me MUCH better than if I had the soft/cheap factory stuff on the bike.

Dale Walker of 'Holeshot' will be offering a rear shock for the new 1250S soon. He said it will be offered in a couple different spring rates..... I'll be buying one from him when it comes out, then getting that front end sorted out next.

Honestly as much as they designed this bike for sport touring I dont think they designed it for 2 up on the stock suspension, at least to last. I'd say it's like the dunlops and you are lucky to have close to 10k ridin 2 up with the stock shocker just now givin you problems.

I don't ride 2 up often and have it 2 clicks up from default and still feel as though it needs probably like .3 kg heavier spring for my weight.

Back