• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Busa helmet

Ed-B

Reaction score
I got a new lid to wear on the Bandit. It's a Shoei RF1000 helmet painted in the 2006 Hayabusa red color scheme. I talked to the parts man at my dealer, and confirmed that Suzuki used color code YHL, Candy Sonoma Red, on the Busa in 2006, and I see that they used it again on the 2007 SV650. There may be others, too. The color match is just a half shade lighter than my Bandit, but I think that's okay for a helmet.

I don't usually go for the color coordinated gear and bike, but these helmets are being closed-out and I couldn't resist a good deal on a nice new helmet. It was on eBay, and there are others including some in different colors.

First impressions: The helmet is very high quality, with a beautiful finish and useful features. The shield has a solid ratcheting system with multiple detents, and it closes nice and tight. This helmet came with the breath guard which you will see fitted to the inside of the chin bar, and there's a chin curtain which I have not yet installed.

With all the vents open it flows a lot of air. Lift doesn't seem to be an issue at speed, but there is some wind noise under the base. I've been riding it with the stock 1250S windscreen and without earplugs. Of course personal issues like helmet fit, and the air stream around your head on your bike will affect these things quite a bit.

Anyway, here's a photoset on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25373440@N00/sets/72157606724056067/

set-72157606724056067

I use a solid black RF-1000 Shoei for track use. It is a nice helmet. For street use and installing a communication system its not very good since it is a tight fit small helmet with no ear recess areas. I use a Carbon HJC AC-12 for my street use. Ventilation is good on both helmets with the Shoei being a tad quieter of the two.

This helmet has more room around my ears than my Arai and KBC helmets, it appears to have pockets in that area. I think that I could easily fit some kind of intercomm/audio pieces in it.

I wonder if Shoei changed the ear area for the RF1000? This lid was made in 2006. How old is your RF1000?

Ed.

This helmet has more room around my ears than my Arai and KBC helmets, it appears to have pockets in that area. I think that I could easily fit some kind of intercomm/audio pieces in it.

I wonder if Shoei changed the ear area for the RF1000? This lid was made in 2006. How old is your RF1000?

Ed.

Less than a year old. It may look like enough room until you see the HJC. I tried to make the shoei work but it was just not a good fit for speakers and wires. The RF-1000 has not changed since it came out a few years back.

what the pictures dont show, is the manufacturing date.
helmets have a shelf life. thats why after sitting a couple years, dealers sell them cheap. when was yours made?

any full coverage helmet is better than an open face, or yamakuh cap with "loud pipes save lives" stickers on it.

My helmet has a manufactured date of 11/06. That should be good for a while.

What is considered a reasonable life span for a helmet that is used about 6K miles/yr, not crashed, and stored out of the sun?

Ed.

My helmet has a manufactured date of 11/06. That should be good for a while.

What is considered a reasonable life span for a helmet that is used about 6K miles/yr, not crashed, and stored out of the sun?

Ed.

WERA race organization says 5 years then you buy a new helmet.

Back