• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunday, 3-20

S

StoneTriple

No one seemed to have any ride plans yesterday so I went out alone. Since I sat out last weekend sick, I wasn't letting another weekend get away from me. Anyway, nothing terribly eventful, just a lot of great riding. Stopped at Newman's for a coffee and continued on. Riding alone is very peaceful. It's been a long time since I've done that. Saw tons of bikes of all types. Came across a couple standing on the side of the road next to their BMW on the really run-down part of whatever 1388 becomes if you follow it far enough near Sunnyside. Stopped, asked them if everything was ok, they said they were fine and I kept going. Nice day to stop and take in the scenery.

As usual, I wave to every bike out there. I was snubbed by 4 Harleys in 3 different groups. I decided I was through being snubbed by tough-guy posers and that I would become a piece of crap just like them - no more waving to people on the wrong brand of bike. In fact, I decided I wasn't going to wave to anyone I didn't know. A new me was born.

After the weight of being decent had been lifted, I felt refreshed. No longer would I worry about oncoming riders, whether or not they looked like beginners, or what bike they were on. I was tough now – no time for the little people.

After about 15 minutes, I saw a rider headed toward me. I could finally test my new-found freedom by not waving. When he was about 100 feet away........I waved.
OK, I was only a piece of crap for about 15 minutes, and no one actually witnessed it. However, for 15 minutes – I felt mean and bad. A lone biker, don’t mess with me. I’ll tell you one thing, if someone would have come along sooner – no telling what would have happened. ;-) :mrgreen:

Don't worry about it man... some people take a lot of baby steps to becoming a full-time piece of crap. Others sem to be born that way. :lol:

I may give up on it, it was just too much work. I was worn out after just 15 minutes. ;-)

They say posing is really hard, you can ask almost any Harley rider.

It is funny how it always seems to be the ones trying to look tough that don't acknolwge anyone.

So I'm assuming the person waved back. :-? I wave at all bikes but it does make me fume when they don't wave back. This weekend, I actually witnessed a guy hauling a bike who waved at us first. :-)

:tab Harley riders are not the only posers... What do you thing all the bling-bling crowd is about? :lol: And don't even get me started about those goof ball Duc riders :-P "Check out my exotic race bred sportbike!! I've no clue how to actually ride it..." :roll: Very few people in our country buy things without some pose factor involved. Harley seems to be one of the few motorcycle manufactures smart enough to really cash in on that mentality. That is what Capitalism is all about! Can't blame them for being shrewd marketers. Maybe some of the other manufacturers should take notes :shrug:

StoneTriple said:
I may give up on it, it was just too much work. I was worn out after just 15 minutes. ;-)

That is so unlike you. :shock:

And you were afraid I would be a snooty BMW rider. :lol:

Tourmeister said:
Maybe some of the other manufacturers should take notes :shrug:

I think Ducati is doing just that. They seem to be the sportbike-poser's bike of choice these days. It's no accident they show up carefully placed in movies and videos.

By the way, I really meant my post as a goof about me - not to start a "who poses more" deal.

I had time this weekend (doin the lawn) to think about motolife. Since I am cursed with the ability to consider both sides of an issue, I realized the following:

1. To the "bling" crew, I am probably a poser
2. To the Iron-butt types, I am probably a poser
3. To some of the people quicker than me, I am probably a poser
4. To the few people I am quicker than, I am probably a squid.
5. To the Real Biker HD types, I am probably a squid.
6. To the people who don't ride unless its raining & tornados, I am probably a poser
7. To the people whose bikes don't know it rains, I am probably hard-core
8. To my neighbor who has 74 miles on his Duc DS1000SS in 6 months, I am probably hard core.
9. etc, etc...

So what's the point? I have been guilty too many times of judging others based on their bike, gear, wave, whatever. There are too many ways to enjoy motorcycling for me to decide that one way is legitimate and another is "posing". If someone is enjoying their motolifestyle, who am I to say that they are posing?

So who am I? I just wanna ride...

jeffie foo-foo said:
And you were afraid I would be a snooty BMW rider. :lol:

I was until I saw you on the Bonneville rat-bikethe other night. You couldn't have looked any more at home on the thing.

;-)

StoneTriple said:
By the way, I really meant my post as a goof about me - not to start a "who poses more" deal.

STrider said:
So what's the point? ....There are too many ways to enjoy motorcycling for me to decide that one way is legitimate and another is "posing". If someone is enjoying their motolifestyle, who am I to say that they are posing?

Crap....too late.

StoneTriple said:
STrider wrote:

So what's the point? ....There are too many ways to enjoy motorcycling for me to decide that one way is legitimate and another is "posing". If someone is enjoying their motolifestyle, who am I to say that they are posing?
Crap....too late.

My long-winded post was in no way meant to impugn anybody but myself. In rereading, i see that it comes across as preachy & self righteous. I completely reserve the right to be judgmental & smart-(expletive deleted) except from now on to try do it for cause.

Well I'm really confused about myself. I wave at everyone, ride a Harley (with all the gear), ride an SV650, commute, travel and just ride for fun. I've been known to ride just for the destination, or ride for three days with no destination in mind. I've had cruisers, standards, sportbikes and dual sport bikes. I've never owned a true sport tourer (yet). I do my own maintenance, mount my own tires and will help anyone with a bike regardless of the brand. I'll ride in groups if the aren't too large, or all Harley. I ride by myself a lot. So which is it? Poser or Squid? I just prefer rider.

I also noticed an unusual number of non-waivers yesterday. Not that it matters. ;-)

As I was stopped to take a couple of pictures, one guy on a V-Rod passed by then turned around and came back to check on me. That was cool. 8-)

I usually don't wave unless the other rider waves first. It has taken years of practice and determination to accomplish this bad tude.

After having a number of squid/posing bikes and one Harley the posing comes pretty easy.

I was even dissed by Harley riders while riding my wideglide because I had a full coverage helmet on. :-) I assume that is what it was as the dissers were wearing those bad *** snot rags on their head for protection, along with sun glasses.

I thought I had all bases covered until I read the Suki handouts on the Busa calling it a sport tourer. It really hurt to learn this.

I'm still thinking of the Vespa in my future Paul, if you will wait for me.

I could care less what anybody labels me. I ride a motorcycle. That's good enough for me. Don't like what I ride? Too f-in bad. I ride for myself and myself alone. I just so happen to hang out with folks that feel the same way I do. :chug:

I dont want a pickle , I just want to ride my motersicle . I always wave at harley riders on 3090 in the corners sometimes you will see somebody lift a couple off fingers but no HIfives. SEYA

I usually wave to everybody, and Sunday morning on my way to King's I waved to a guy in a harley that loked like Atom Ant (you know, small body, big, huge helmet,big moorsicle) and he didn't looked...but in the other hand, on my way back from 3090 with Cam, a guy on a Buell gave us the military salute, it seemed to me he was really happy to be out there riding.

Cagiva 549 said:
...on 3090 in the corners sometimes you will see somebody lift a couple off fingers but no HIfives.

I wave while turning around to check for the return wave with only one hand on the bars and dragging a knee when I'm on 3090. :twisted:

Please note; the above statement is a complete fabrication of the truth. :mrgreen:

STrider said:
My long-winded post was in no way meant to impugn anybody but myself. In rereading, i see that it comes across as preachy & self righteous. I completely reserve the right to be judgmental & smart-(expletive deleted) except from now on to try do it for cause.

:roll: You Triumph guys sure talk a lot...

>>>>>> :lol: <<<<<<

Waving on a bike is such an art form. I really like the two-fingered, point-at-the-ground, on-the-sly wave. 8-) However, my personal wave looks a bit like Gomer Pyle's. So I don't blame 'em if they don't wave back.

As for my pet peeve, I think anyone on a dual sport that can take a curve better than me is just trying to make me look bad! You reading this Herr Tourmeister? :mrgreen:

yeah yeah... :roll: I suppose it is even worse if I do it while waving... :-P

Adios,

Funny Waving Story,

I bought my first bike back in 2000, an 01 Honda VLX. Bought it in Bedford at DFW Honda. I was on my way home, in full gear, my first time on a street bike. I got a wave about half way home. I was so **** happy to be on a bike and get my first wave that with great enthusiasm I waved back, arm all the way stretched out, waving like I was seeing a long lost friend. Bad part was my wife was behind me. I still get grilled over that wave. :chug:

Back