• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Replaced my O2 sensor

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
And it was a nightmare!! Suzuki QC strikes again on the Bandit:doh: What looked to be a simple unscrew screw back in turned into a 4 hour ordeal thanks to some crappy work by a sleepy factory guy. I suspect this was what made my sensor erratic all along. Dealer got my sensor replaceded under warranty back a month ago, I just got around to messing with it. We had tried to swap a ECM to cure the dreaded surge my bike has had since day one that did not work so we said lets replace the sensor while its under warranty. This thing cost about $200 bucks dealer cost on it is $125 Suzuki picked up the tab. So I go to unscrew the original, **** it seems tighter than 18 ft. lbs so I came out a little went in a little until it snapped off:eek2: I was pissed now I have a hole into my exhaust. I thought since I have been using the O2 bypass I'd just plug the hole with a self tapping screw. The sensor has porcelin in the middle so when it snapped that all came out but the metal thread collar of the sensor was left in the pipes threaded hole. I said no I am getting that thing out. So I got a reverse ease out tapped it in and began to back the remaining threads out. It was extremely tight and I had a wrench break trying to turn the ease out. Fnally it came out and guess what, it was cross threaded to begin with and the friggin threads of the pipe came out with the sensor threads.:eek2: I looked further into the pipes threaded hole and the remaing pipes fine threads do not match the sensors coarse threads so what they are doing it impacting a incorrect threaded sensor into a fine threaded hole. Does not make sense but I am sure it has to do with somebody saving some money along the way, cheaper sensor found on the market only after the pipe maker had the more expensive sensor already threaded for fine threads. Okay so what do I do, new sensor came with anti-sieze already on the threads I thought that was a bit weird. So I cleaned out the hole and inserted the new sensor. To my suprise it begin to thread into the pipe with ease until the last few turns to the crush washer. 18 ft. lbs is spec and I did not excede that to the best of my knowledge. Tight working area by the way would be easier with pipe off the bike but that is another 2 hour ordeal I was not ready for. So its in and I fired it up and took a quick spin. To my suprise it rode just like the O2 was bypassed:clap: I still cannot believe it. I plan on riding it here in a hour or so more but as of right now it did not surge at light throttle openings at all. I can't tell the difference between the O2 bypassed and new sensor hooked up online. So are they busting these sensors installing them, my guess is yes they are. It does not take much to bust the porcelin inside the sensor and wire. I looked at the busted one up close. With the difference in the thread pattern I can see how when new this could go wrong on this install. I was careful to not jar the sensor with the wrench at all during my install or force it in. If I had more time and the pipe was off the bike I might have tried to source a tap for the sensors thread pitch but what the heck it self tapped itself and if this does not work in the end the hole is still plugged and I go back to the O2 bypass.

I am bored I need 6 more motorcycles to work on in my free time. j/k I have a 600 racebike tore down to engine and frame right now so no I am occupied.;-)

YMMV

Okay so what do I do, new sensor came with anti-sieze already on the threads I thought that was a bit weird.

It's very common for O2 sensors to have anti seize on them, at least all the automotive ones I've seen have had it on them.

Keep us updated on the results and your fuel mileage now that you have the new sensor in.

Yes it is very common for O2 sensors to come with anti sieze on the threads, and if I bought one that didn't have any on it, I would certainly apply some before I did install it.

I have always used copper based anti sieze on any threads that see any kind of high heat, from spark plugs, exhaust header studs and nuts and O2 sensors. :rider:

I removed my sensor when I gutted my cat. Thread pitch was fine on mine? Broke it loose, then unscrewed with just fingers.

So, at least we know they aren't blindly using the wrong thread.

I removed my sensor when I gutted my cat. Thread pitch was fine on mine? Broke it loose, then unscrewed with just fingers.

Exactly how did you gut your cat (for track purposes only of course)?

With a slightly curved pry bar, and a hammer:mrgreen: It had a square shank, just drive it in, then twist it with a wrench.....repeat a few hundred times, you're done.:rofl:

It doesn't break up easy, like ceramic, but it all comes out eventually!
But, take out the O2 sensor before you start.

Thread pitch on the sensor is not fine.

UPDATE: I rode the 1250 about 100 miles saturday with the new O2 sensor. I still detect a slight and I do mean very slight light throttle lean surge. Can I live with it, yes. Mileage looks good so far a tad better than with the bypass hooked up which was a steady 46 mpg commuting. Still not perfect but worth it I guess since Suzuki paid for the sensor. If it starts getting erratic again I bet it will the dirtier the sensor gets then back goes the O2 bypass. I noticed it was near perfect for the 1st 30 miles then I started to detect the very light surge at light to no throttle openings. I assume hydrocarbon deposits eventually reduce the O2's effective operating ability to some degree. When new it was perfect. guess I am too sensitive to this new way of operating a engine too many electronic gadgets between my right hand and the rear wheel.:lol2: Anyway could not ride sunday or today tropical storm "Fay" has been parked here for two days dumping rain close to 2 inches locally. I hope to be back on the 1250 commuting at least by tuesday of this week.

Quick update:

Well as suspected the sensor got a little more dirty and the bike began to surge again. It hit violently yesterday afternoon on the hot ride home. I promptly unplugged the darn thing and put my O2 bypass back in. Case closed on the darn O2 sensor ordeal. Suzuki's system simply does not work well enough for me, my wrist is too sensitive to the surge. This morning on the way in life was grand with the O2 bypassed. BTW my fuel mileage was no better with the O2 plugged in verses bypassed.

Hmmmm,

Just for an experiment I pulled the Fly's and jumped the o2 Sensor with the 1k resistor. My MPG went down dramatically 36.49 and that was driving 10 MPH slower than with the flys in and o2 connected 43. mpg. I am going to try it again this weekend with the Fly's out and the o2 Connected.

On another note is it possible to vary that resistor value to get a leaner run. I think in my case the 1k is letting the bike run too rich.

I am wondering if the little lean spot around 2700-3500 is there intentionally for fuel economy cruising around 70MPH.

Todd

I was getting 46 mpg on a brisk mostly highway commute with a 1k resistor. All the resistor does is feed back to the ECM the O2 heater is on no fuel adjustments from it.

You must make sure you fill your bike up to the exact spot in the neck everytime to get and accurate fuel mileage reading. It can vary alot with the funky Bandit fill opening.

I am wondering if the little lean spot around 2700-3500 is there intentionally for fuel economy cruising around 70MPH.

Suzuki wouldn't care about 70mph cruising fuel consumption - it's far more likely that lean spot is there to allow the bike to pass a specific emissions tests.

Ok I have more data, this time Fly's out and o2 connected. I got exactly the same results, maybe just a tad better, but less than 1MPG. I noticed a little lean surging, but nothing major. So the Fly's are going back in so I can get back in the 40's MPG wise.

BTW I am in Dallas TX around 700' Above sea level Running our Metro Blend of 87 Octane Fuel with 10% Ethanol.

Also toady i ran the GPs with the Odo for comparison. The results were the Odo read 176.2 and the GPS read 172.

Todd

Back