• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Welcome to the world of light weight (08 SV650SF)

Reaction score
That's what Patrick over at Motorcycles Unlimited said when I came in to order some suspension goodies.

I just sold my '05 1200GS last week and was riding a 02 VFR, '00 Sportster 1200 with others before that. The common theme among these bikes is over 500 pounds dry. That was before.

I picked up a gray 08 Suzuki SV650SF this weekend and WOW what Patrick said. If you are still looking at over 650cc bikes thinking that's where the power and fun is, you may be missing the point. The other half of the equation is weight. Lower the weight and felt power goes up with smaller power on paper. Think about the Lotus Elise, small 4 cylinder up front, VERY light weight and styling to boot.

Anyway I put 150 miles on it today and it just rocks. Sound is amazing, easy to ride, cheap to maintain, and parts are on order.

Noah

Attachments

• SV650SK8_Gray_565660.jpg
    SV650SK8_Gray_565660.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 141
they are great bikes, I love my SV. the light weight with the torque of these bikes makes them crazy fun on the back roads and on the track. don't be surprised when you start doing track days that you pass much "faster" bikes in the turns

oh and the elise's engine is in the back, mid engine RWD, and they are awesome cars.
but like you said about weight, that's also why the mazda miata and mini cooper are so deadly in auto-cross

congrats on a great bike

don't be surprised when you start doing track days that you pass much "faster" bikes in the turns

It's funny you mention track days. I've done 2 on the VFR and 1 on the 1200GS, both times embarrassing the sportbike crowd after they laughed when I arrived sans trailer and equipment. Even funnier how I would ride off the track, get some water and just ride home. They would call me a hour or so later that they were finally on the road, having to trailer the bikes, clean up the pit, etc..

I'm going to set it up for Sport Touring, but the first couple hundred mile or so keeping under 7K rpms for break-in with over a 10K redline has been really difficult.

Noah

Back