• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run III

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
I just returned from Pie Run III, It was another interesting run the morning started out dry which was a plus as I had a newcomer to the group riding with us. Lee is my oldest friend and he is begining to wonder why after rides like today. It got a little chilly around Dripping Springs then up around Hamilton Pool a Lincon tried to take us out by turning left in front of us. Then the skies darkened, we pressed on as the light rain started I felt no need to add insult to injury by stopping in a light rain to put on rain gear as I knew Lee had none with him. After a few miles the HAIL started about a 1/4mile of this and I hit the sholder and we ducked under some trees for cover, I learned while we were there that apparently hail is quite painfull when it hits you in the face and mouth at 60mph. We remounted after it blew over and rode on into Marble Falls in a light rain. A good lunch was had by all and they everyone departed. Lee checked in after his arrival home to tell me it rained on him all the way back down 71, I caught a bit as well as I went down 1431 to Lime Creek road (the only time I have ridden this road and not seen another motorcycle) to 620 across the dam down 71 to 290 out 1826 to Driftwood (almost stopped for BBQ) over to Wimberly down 32 to Purgatory road and back int New Braunfels. Another Pie run down and some new people met today all in all a good day.

Hardcore man. I'm like the wicked witch in Wizard of OZ. I'll melt if I get wet. :shock:

I think I should start offering "Pie" at my clinic.........I'd get all sort of wet, sore, banged up, frustrated patients.......
Today was not a good day......I helped clean off more grass and dirt from an already too "Green" Kawasaki, and not but a hour later, lose a beautiful, brand new Yamaha R6 to a farmer's field..........Shawn, a new rider to our group, launched his Yam, and the key word here is launched, the bike end over end, to land upright but upside down out in the field, with a strewn path of plastic and debris spread out over 50'...... Shawn was shaken up pretty good, thank goodness not needing a ride to the big "H"........We weren't hot-dogging it, just one of those freak "Bermuda-Triangle" type accidents..............Shawn, I hope you got the card we all signed and hope you hop back into the "saddle" real soon..........Get well Buddy.........
Ending on a lite note........I played chauffeur today for the "One and Only" Ms.Squeaky..........Didn't know what to expect, all the while my finger hovering over the "Mute" button of the intercom system. Expecting her to be wiggling all over the place, and talking my ear off..........I was pleasntly surprised.......Squeaky is a great "Passenger", she knows when to lean, when to shift her weight, and most importantly.......How to give a good Shoulder massage............You're welcome back on the back seat any ride, any day..........
One last thing.......Squeaky, I hope you find those pants you lost...... :-D

Lucked out!

For those that would like to see the incident and the very long detailed version of my unfortunate even click on the thread below. For those that have 56K dialup or rather not see a bike reck you can sitck to this thread or the main PIE III thread.

DOC and the rest of the Houston group, thank you for being there for me.
Sorry if I've accidentaly ruin the trip.

Squeaky: If you have photos to ad, please add it to my thread below.

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3843

-Shawn (sqvvcd)

-05' R6 Raven (Total)

I wrote up this wonderful ride report last night to go with the ones people put on the original thread in the TWT events section. Unfortunately I typed too slow and the thread was locked while I was typing. Oh well, shouldn't have been putting it there anyway. Since I lost all that typing, I wasn't up to doing again last night. So here is a redo.

First thing was I was jokingly blaming budzrex for causing all the bad weather since he mentioned he has made all three pie runs.

I want to thank John (irondawg) for showing up on his DR350. It made me feel less out of place. He, David (whoa) and I hit Cow Creek road on the way back. We did some minor fording. It was great back in there. We also checked out the Warbler reserve on 1431 near Lago Vista. Really great views up there. It is a steep dirt road into it, but the knobbied bikes made it fine. David didn't seem to have a problem on his Tiger, but he appeared to be more careful than John and I.

I thought it was neat to see the hail on the ground...better there than falling on us.

Like some of the others, I got to test the waterproofness of my new jacket. It's a winner. I also learned that the mist isn't too bad when you are wearing jeans and it only gets your lower legs wet. However, when it pours the rain runs down the front of your jacket and it pools on the seat. Then the jeans get very wet in an area that is quite uncomfortable. Also, tilting your head forward to check your mirrors or speedo lets the rain down the back of your jacket.

Pie was good, service was too fast. I really wanted to relax, warm up and enjoy the food.

Overall, I really enjoyed the day. Sorry about the Houston crew's troubles, but am relieved it was a bumps, bruises and broken machinery instead of anything worse.

Low said:
:tears: All I can say is OUCH Squeaky will fill in the blanks I'm sure soon :-(

I feel your pain. :shock:

How are you feeling? Any hospital time? I am glad to see you are alive.

I guess God protects motorcycle riders. :clap

Re: Lucked out!

sqvvcd said:
For those that would like to see the incident and the very long detailed version of my unfortunate even click on the thread below. For those that have 56K dialup or rather not see a bike reck you can sitck to this thread or the main PIE III thread.

DOC and the rest of the Houston group, thank you for being there for me.
Sorry if I've accidentaly ruin the trip.

Squeaky: If you have photos to ad, please add it to my thread below.

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3843

-Shawn (sqvvcd)

-05' R6 Raven (Total)

Well Shawn, looks like you are #3 and this should mean everybody else will stay upright for a while. :-P

Seriously, I am glad to read that you are OK. I hated seeing my bike severely broken. Seeing that nice R6 in a mangled state broke my heart. I'm glad you wore your gear and hope you get well soon. :chug:

On 3/8 Kelly posted this...
As for Pie Run the Third, Alli and I are in. Unless it's sunny and warm, in which case it simply won't be enough of a challenge. I'll refuse to leave the house in anything less than a full blown hail storm. And just to ensure the wrath of the weather gods, I'm washing my bike on the 25th.

On 3/26 Kelly posted this...
Alarm went off this morning. Rolled over and slapped it off. Lay awake for three seconds listening to the sounds of thunder and a deluge pouring down outside. Rolled over and went back to sleep. Sorry, guys and gals, I've gotten my cold, wet rain riding merit badge for the year. Sweeper, have fun punching holes through the showers on that missile-bike of yours. Very Happy Safe riding to those who made it today.

Kelly

P.S. As God as my witness, I swear I didn't wash my bike this time.

My suggestion is that for Pie Run IV Kelly writes that he will only ride if the weather is perfect since he asked for pure chaos last time and that's exactly what we got! :mrgreen:

Oops...

I've figured it out. After staying up until 12:30 the night before repairing the damage done to the Vic at the hands of my local dealership, that was enough to ensure the hail and rain. If I had left the exhaust system in pieces all over the garage, it would have been seventy-five degrees and sunny. And I'd have been driving around in the car all day, cursing like a sailor on shore leave. :-D I say that next time, we sacrifice a pie on the night before the run to appease the rain gods. Nothing gory, like strawberry-rhubarb. We could do an apple one.

Shawn, so sorry to see your bike wadded up. I think that the Raven R6's/R1's are some of the most beautiful bikes around. Hope you can find another one. Just remember, any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Glad (most) everybody had a good time. Although I'm beginning to think that what constitutes a "good time" for this group would push the boundaries of sanity for anyone else. Hope to see y'all at the next one. Where are we having it? Oh, yeah, just across the River Styx at the gateway to the underworld. :-D I hear the weather's nicer.

Kelly

Re: Oops...

FWVic said:
Hope to see y'all at the next one. Where are we having it? Oh, yeah, just across the River Styx at the gateway to the underworld. :-D I hear the weather's nicer.

Kelly
:rofl :rofl :rofl

It was good talking to you bluedogok....hated that we missed everyone. My wife and I got caught in the rain between Tyler and MF and slowed us down a bit. 1341 was definitely tricky since it had a nice layer of water on it when we came through. I met up with Jerry(jpope13) and his visiting nephew-n-law James shortly after bluedogok headed for home. They rode from Tyler on Friday when it was beautiful and they stayed the night. All of us rode back to Tyler this morning after staying the night in MF. We missed the rain but the wind was terrible. My wife and I nearly went off the road on 1341 when a huge gust started pushing when we were in a corner. Not exactly what I had in mind. My Fieldsheer and Tourmaster gear worked great in the rain. We did get a little cold today though. Jerry was on his FJR and James had rented a Harley Road King while he was in town. Pie and CF Steak was great, but I'd rather be commenting on how hot and dry the Pie Run was.
Glad to hear everyone's ok from the get offs.

Oh, yeah, just across the River Styx at the gateway to the underworld.
Well, at least it wouldn't hail there! :shock:

Oops, hail, get it? Oh well....
(I won't quit my day job)
:roll:

Re: Oops...

FWVic said:
.... exhaust system in pieces all over the garage, it would have been seventy-five degrees and sunny. And I'd have been driving around in the car all day, cursing like a sailor on shore leave. :-D I say that next time, we sacrifice a pie on the night before the run to appease the rain gods. Nothing gory, like strawberry-rhubarb. We could do an apple one.

Shawn, so sorry to see your bike wadded up. I think that the Raven R6's/R1's are some of the most beautiful bikes around. Hope you can find another one. Just remember, any landing you walk away from is a good one.

....Hope to see y'all at the next one. Where are we having it? Oh, yeah, just across the River Styx at the gateway to the underworld. :-D I hear the weather's nicer.

Kelly

You crack me up Kelly.... It's painful for me to laugh right now as my body is still trying to get over that last ride. This was my second attempt to get some of that pie and failed. Pie II rained out early, Pie III I ate grass instead of Pies.. :angryfir: You are right though about any landing that you can walk away is a good landing. This would normally applies to airplane (done that too) and not apply to motorcycles... But this time it does apply for my incident.... I did go airborne :eek: Good thing I had my pilot lisence (not current though).

Nathan (Low) did the rain dance thing on Pie II but that only made it worst. Squeaky was the only brave sole from Houston that made it, finally met her on this last trip only to see her playing tourist taking snap shots of the country side (and both recks) while she was on the back seat of Doc's beautiful Goldwing (747). Where are those pictures by the way Squeaky? :mrgreen:

I went and visited Nathan early this afternoon at his house. Seeing that he was using a cain to help him get around I figured us two cripples (according to his wife) can get together and get a good laughs or two. I've received the card from the Houston group (Kent (Kocook), Stuart (Thermalser), Rebecca (Squeaky), Gray (Doc), Paul (Scratch), Nathan (Low). The card reads as follows:

Cover- "On the highway of life, there are bound to be some bumps in the road...."

Inside- ".... along with crater-sized potholes, (squiggly tar snakes) backed-up construction traffic, (gravel in the curves), and that one jerk who always cuts you off. But anyway, you'll get get through it.

Thank you all for this great card, appreciated every bit of it.

By the way Nathan........ on the next run, do you want to bring your own lawn tractor or shall I? :-D

Leo..... I am glad that I had a chance to meet up with you at PO before the Pie run. Atleast you got a chance to see those Angel Eyes upgrades I did on the headlamps (now in all little pieces in a box with the rest of the parts).

budzrex said:
I just returned from Pie Run III, It was another interesting run the morning started out dry which was a plus as I had a newcomer to the group riding with us. Lee is my oldest friend and he is begining to wonder why after rides like today.

Ya know, you'd think that as long as I've known Bud and as much trouble as we've stirred up in the past that we couldn't possibly cover new ground. Then the hail came :eek: . By the way in case you're interested riding in a hail storm in a half helmet really sucks! Never mind the fact that I decided to play the odds and leave the rain suit at home. :headbang: But all in all I had a good time and met some good folks. I look forward to riding with y'all in the future. I'm glad to hear that even with some bike misfortunes, everyone made it home safe.

Hey Lee, you gonna ride that chopper on the next one?

:tab Woodbutcher, you could have just done a cut and paste of your text. After you highlight and hit cut/copy, just back out of the original post, go to the new forum, start a new post and paste the text ;-) Piece of cake... er.. pie!

:tab Sounds like a crazy weekend. I am happy to hear everyone made it home in one piece. Bikes are replaceable, people are not. Good to see that the proper gear made the difference!!

:tab Our dirt ride went great. Lots of fun roads, no dropped bikes despite some serious pucker moments in the wet mud... Just three GS's romping around in the woods on little dirt roads. No rain, but it did get cold later in the afternoon. About 240 miles in all.

Adios,

whoa said:
Hey Lee, you gonna ride that chopper on the next one?

I just might. It's one of those ride time desicions. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Nathan & Shawn. So glad that you both walked away.

Glad to have you on board with us Lee, I will do my best to keep the rides interesting,I dont want you getting bored :mrgreen: I wonder how the custom would fare as a dual sport if a ride happened to have a few miles of gravel road.

Bud, I've known you way too long to trust ya! Why do you think I'm always on the Sporty when we ride together. :lol:

Tourmeister said:
:tab Woodbutcher, you could have just done a cut and paste of your text. After you highlight and hit cut/copy, just back out of the original post, go to the new forum, start a new post and paste the text ;-) Piece of cake... er.. pie!

Adios,

Yep, that's what I would have thought too, but when I hit the submit button it told me the thread was locked. So I hit the back button to get to what I just typed to cut and paste, but my browser said the page had expired and wouldn't show it. Such is life.

The weather started out gloomy but dry, and we were all prepared to get sprinkled on if it should come down to that. I met Gary (DrBlackbird), Nathan (Low), Shawn (sqvvcd), and Paul (scratch) at the Oshman’s parking lot. Gary had graciously agreed to transport me on the quest for pie, as the rear tire on my bike was not in any condition to attempt this ride. We get the “Great Pumpkin” (Gary’s orange Goldwing) packed and ready to go, Paul decides to hang back to wait for Kent (kocook), and we head west for Brookshire to meet Stuart (Thermalser).
dscn08408tx.jpg

Shawn’s gorgeous ’05 R6 Raven…
dscn08436dv.jpg

The Great Pumpkin…
dscn08442ek.jpg

My DJ for the day…
dscn08454je.jpg

I don’t see a mute button, but Gary claims to have used it throughout the day to hush me. I’m happy to have music piped into the helmet, although it means wearing Gary’s ¾ passenger helmet instead of my own full-face.

Stuart on his FZ1… (note the helmet on the grass – what Stuart doesn’t know is that Nathan just kicked over an ant hill!)
dscn08467xj.jpg

As we head out on the road, it is obvious the fog wants to stick around for a while. Gary points out the gray skies, almost as if to taunt them.

These guys are a regular motley crew – reaching to slap off each others’ bikes kill switches, taking keys when they turn their backs, and lots of inside jokes and slapstick humor. I’ve now dubbed them the “West Side Boyz”.

“Who took my key?”
dscn08492vw.jpg

The roads are clean and dry despite the clouds, and the sweeping turns offer a great opportunity for me to continue to practice looking through the turn even though I’m only a passenger. This way, (in theory) I can’t panic when something appears in the road.

dscn08546wo.jpg

As the MS150 ride approaches, bicyclists are out in droves. Some are huffing and puffing and walking the bikes up the hills, some are riding side-by-side. As we near the top of a small hill, a rider has crossed our lane and has stopped on the right shoulder. That was close, but why is he over there? As our line of sight comes over the top of the hill, all I hear over the intercom is “Oh no, Low…” – I look ahead and there, in the grass on the right, is Nathan standing above his now-horizontal bike. Oddly enough, the color of the bike matches well with the long, plush grass and is almost camouflaged by it. All of the men hop off their bikes and they quickly get the ZX up on her tires. I stand around and take pictures…

dscn08579pn.jpg

Damage is minimal, but heartbreaking nonetheless. There are easier ways to mow the lawn, Low! What I find out is that a truck pulled out into our lane to get around the bicyclists, so Stuart slowed (or stopped?) to avoid him. Nathan smoked the back tire trying to avoid Stuart, and managed to only clip his right leg and right mirror on his way into the grass. I’ve been told there were some acrobatics here, but I was not witness to the event. His new leather jacket has some damage, which his wife will not be too pleased about, but we are all glad he is up and moving with no serious injuries.

The left now matches the right from his previous mishap in the forest…
dscn08665vm.jpg

Although he will be sore later, Nathan gets himself back on the bike and we press on. We are now running seriously behind schedule, so I call Kurt (txmedic) to let him know that the Austin group should head for Marble Falls without us, and we’ll meet them there. He has just arrived at the Taco Cabana in Cedar Park, and there are at least a dozen bikes there already. I’m excited about the decent turnout, and bid the Kurt Adieu. We have what could possibly be the longest gas stop for only six bikes I’ve ever been witness to, then we’re back on the road.

dscn08702us.jpg

The sweeping turns are coming more frequently, and we pass a small town that (I think) is New Ulm. It sounds familiar, but I thought we would be closer to Austin by now. Maybe I’m getting the towns confused. (Notice there are no road numbers in this entire ride report!) Going 2-up on a barn door in gusting winds has slowed our pace on the Pumpkin a bit, so the majority of the group is out of sight ahead. Shawn is riding sweep behind us and seems to be enjoying the relaxing pace. After banking through a wide turn, I hear over the intercom, “Wasn’t there someone behind us?”

There was, and I had seen Shawn’s headlights only moments ago before the last set of turns. Gary gingerly turns the Pumpkin around in the middle of the straight and we head back to see what the issue is. Gary spots Shawn standing hunched on the side of the road, “I can’t believe it, he’s taking a leak” is his immediate reaction. But as we draw closer, my heart begins to race as I see the bike tires-up in the ditch. As quickly as he can, Gary gets the bike parked and is getting Shawn seated. A few questions to make sure he is alert, he asks him what hurts, if he blacked out at all, and if he can move all of his limbs. Locals passing by have stopped and are calling 911 for help. Shawn tries standing up to go to the bike, but Gary settles him down and gives him the Ok to take the helmet off.

I didn’t take a picture of the bike standing on its tank because I thought it would be insensitive while Shawn was still staring at it and digesting the reality of what had just happened. Looking back, it would have been the perfect picture for him to remember the incident by, and everyone has asked if I got that on film. Sorry. The image will be permanently stored in my head, though. For more details about the crash and pics of the crash site, see Shawn’s post here.

After the Sheriff finished writing up the incident (but not writing a ticket), we flagged down a flatbed truck (how lucky of us that he was passing by at that moment) so that we could get the bike over to the grocery store down the road. The men heave-ho and get the bike up there… careful not to scratch it!

dscn08843ad.jpg

After offloading the bike at the store, I called ahead to the Blue Bonnet and asked the waitress if there was a group of bikers there. “Honey, there have been bikers in and out of here all day, you’ll have to be more specific.” She pages anyone from Two Wheeled Texans up to the phone, but nobody responds. I decide to call Beth (BlueBomber) and she calls Will (birdwh) and John (irondawg) to let them know what happened. She gives them both my cell phone number, and I wait for a return call. The neighbor’s dog amuses us quite easily, jumping and biting onto a shoe that dangles from a tree. He hangs there for quite a while, and all we can do is watch.

dscn08894eq.jpg

We take a vote and decide that pie is no longer the plan for today. The new plan is going to be for the remaining five bikes (and six riders) to stay upright on the way home. Thus, our journey ends in Webberville and we begin our return trip. We’re all hungry (it’s noon and we expected to be eating at 11), so we stop in Bastrop at the Chilis.

dscn08921ll.jpg

dscn08944ie.jpg

In lieu of pie, we settle on a desert that is a chocolate lover’s dream: chocolate cake filled with warm chocolate cream, topped with ice cream and chocolate magic shell. We get only one and share it.

dscn08931ic.jpg

We decide on the route home through La Grange and Bastrop State Park.

dscn09011dn.jpg

dscn09073dv.jpg

We stopped at a scenic overlook, and most of the group apparently heard the call of nature.

dscn09115ho.jpg

When I asked where MY tree was, they pointed “over there”. Seriously guys, can we stop for a restroom break? “If you want to ride with the boys, you’ll have to pee with the boys” was the answer.

dscn09147ws.jpg

They did, in fact, stop so that I could use the facilities. When I returned, I found them all huddled over a map. I have no idea what the discussion was, but since I was just a passenger I decided it didn’t matter if I knew where we were going.

dscn09155nh.jpg

The sun has finally peered out from behind the clouds and haze.

dscn09175ww.jpg

We make it back to Brookshire, and the Blues Brothers head south while the rest of us head east.

dscn09224ym.jpg

Back in Katy, Nathan split off for home on the Grand Parkway and Gary brought me back to my truck, safe and sound. It was an interesting day, and I was physically exhausted despite sitting back and relaxing as a passenger on the ‘sport couch’.

Oh yeah, and Stewie doesn’t like to have his picture taken…
Stewie behaving badly

Back