PDA

View Full Version : My next will be a standard, probably...

Woodys650
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Alright, I've read the myriad threads on which bike is the best for which situations,:giveup: I just haven't heard the negatives. I dumped my cruiser last week and am recovering from the surgery as we speak. After I return from my short stint to Iraq I'll be in the market for another bike. I'm leaning towards the sport standards.:rider:

Most of my riding is on freeway or state highways/backroads. No dirt/gravel at all. I want a bike that is comfortable enough to go to the store or across the state. I love the looks of the FZ1/FZ6 both. The power and supposed comfort of the Bandit 1250 gets my attention the most, as does the available ABS. SV650 naked style is not out of the question nor is something large and in charge like the Kawi Z1000. I'd like to stay under 9 grand, although the FZ1 is just over.

I know a ton of the cool features and high points. I'm looking for current or previous owners to tell me the LOW POINTS. What didn't you like about your standard/naked bike. Help!!

collyer
09-10-2008, 06:54 PM
You can pick up an '06/'07 FZ1 for $7k +/-.

Look also at BMW R1200R (more than $9 used, though), and later R1150R twins (anywhere from $5 to $8k). Very standard, very willing to loaf across the state.

poser
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I love my sv650s, but touring bike it is not. the stock seat leaves me wanting to get off long before I run out of gas.
its a GREAT commuter bike, and tons of fun at the track though

Woodys650
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I hear the naked SV is a slightly better tourer, but also has some seat issues. I haven't heard of anyone using the Suzuki gel seat so don't know if it's any better. The R1150R is a bike I had not thought of. I'll have to give those a peek and see what the prices are running on them. THANKS!

JimNtexas
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
You're close to a late model FJR.

kurt
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
For a naked standard, I'd vote for the Bandit.

Loyd
09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
No nakeds for any type pf touring...or a ride longer than say an hour.

I've always been a honda fan due to their build quality. They are a mite finicky on fitment to different postures/riding styles. You'd like the '00-01 vfr's. They do decent two-up. Excellent long rides and offer pretty good element protection. If you don't mind a bit more of a lean..go get that 99 XX, it's a good enough deal to store...and I won't have to look at it daily wishing there was another grand in the bank!!! :rider:

treybrad
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
You can get a brand new '09 Bandit ABS for < $8,000 OTD I'd imagine:

http://www.superbike.co.uk/imageBank/b/bandit_1250_web.jpg

Sprint ST 1050 also comes to mind:

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/triumph/2006/23411_0_1_2_sprint%20st_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Then there's the VFR that just looks soooo good:

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/honda/2006/22427_0_1_2_vfr%20800%20interceptor%20abs_Image%20 credits%20-%20Honda.jpg

There really isn't a wrong choice...

trey

Mic
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I have an 03 Z1k and I love the bike. Mucho power and it's very flickable. Negatives are buzziness in the bars at around 5k and the stock seat slides you into the tank.

I've handled most of the buzz with hvmp heavy bar ends, shot filled bars and taller gearing to get the bike out of the buzzy range during freeway cruising. I added some Stompgrip pads to the tank to take care of the sliding forward though a seat reshape may be in my future. My bike has a lot of other mods, but those are the only two 'issues' that I've had with the bike. Well, a third issue might be that I have sudden urges to roll on the throttle to feel the bike do what it was designed to do.

Oh yeah, there was quite a bit of wind blast at 'upper freeway speeds' :trust: with the stock bikini fairing. I've added a laminar lip to enhance sport touring and it creates a significant calm pocket of air where my helmet is not buffeted. My friend who owns a weestrom commented on the lack of buffeting when he rode my bike.

There are a lot of good bikes out there and I was hard pressed to settle on the Z. Mostly it's going to come down to what you like the look of the best.

Woodys650
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I have an 03 Z1k and I love the bike. Mucho power and it's very flickable. Negatives are buzziness in the bars at around 5k and the stock seat slides you into the tank.

Thank You. I love the looks of the Z1000 but was unsure if there were any issues about it I should consider. I've also recently heard of some serious frame cracking issues with the Yammy FZ1. I appreciate all the inputs. Can't wait to ride again soon. :rider:

Warpbender
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Excellent posts everyone!
I haven't had a problem with my fizzer except the seat does wear me out after 200 miles, and I can't keep tires on the thing-3800 is about it on the rear.
The after market on this ride is limited due to popularity.
If I could afford it I would love a new Bandit (you can bag it out easier for touring), or a full blown Buell Ulysis ready to tour is a fantasy of mine!

DCF
09-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I love my Nighthawk 750, as standard as it gets, but if you want to tour you'll need wind protection. The Plexifairing III seems to solve this issue for most people. Fortunately for me the backroad twisties are close by, and an hour's detour on the way home is usually enough to satisfy.
However, I am keeping my eyes open for the next bike. Unfortunately, the one that I really want is euro-only: CB1300 ABS (http://www.doble.co.uk/theBikes/newBikeDetails.asp?bikeRefNo=337)
On the one hand: why won't manufacturers bring bikes like this to the US? On the other: why aren't US consumers interested in true standards?

Woodys650
09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
:ponder: ... Unfortunately, the one that I really want is euro-only: CB1300 ABS (http://www.doble.co.uk/theBikes/newBikeDetails.asp?bikeRefNo=337)

WOW:eek2: Now that's a beautiful bike. It makes you wish they would import some of their euro bikes. I'd seen the CB1000 before,but not that one. I have a couple buddies in England. Makes me wonder if they could pick one up and have it shipped...?:ponder: Now I'll have to figure out how much hassle that is.

JKDGabe
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
You like the CB1300? Get a ZRX 11/1200 and save that shipping fee!

DCF
09-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice, but.... half of the reason I would like the CB is the availability of ABS... the Bandit, ST1300, and FJR seem to be the only big bikes with that option here in the states. Of course, being pretty doesn't hurt.

EDIT: I should add the BMW line to that statement.... somehow I wasn't thinking of bikes that are 2x$

Woodys650
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Nice, but.... half of the reason I would like the CB is the availability of ABS... the Bandit, ST1300, and FJR seem to be the only big bikes with that option here in the states. Of course, being pretty doesn't hurt.

And that's probably where I am leaning. You know the reason for this shopping spree is because of a wreck I "might" have avoided with better braking. (and a lot more skill) The skill I'll get with time and a lot of parking lot practice on emergency stops, something I had not done in months. The braking I can help with decent brakes, good tires, and hopefully ABS. Now all I need is a bike to practice on! :rider:

Mic
09-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Thank You. I love the looks of the Z1000 but was unsure if there were any issues about it I should consider. I've also recently heard of some serious frame cracking issues with the Yammy FZ1. I appreciate all the inputs. Can't wait to ride again soon. :rider:

That brings up a good point that I forgot about. Some of the early Z1k's (03 and maybe early 04) had issues with a weld cracking up near the head. This was mostly an issue with people that wheelie a lot (standups, stunting, etc). On the Z1k forums that I have been on I haven't seen people that ride the bike normally have this issue.

I haven't had an issue with my bike. I ride pretty spirited with it and have gotten the wheel up a few inches being too hard on the throttle a few times. Kawasaki revised later frames and they don't have the issue.

Also FWIW, my bike with a K&N, Muzzy pipe, and PC3 with Muzzy tune gets about 41 mpg. It got about 45-46 with same parts and stock tune.

Sleepy Weasel
09-17-2008, 04:52 PM

EDIT: I should add the BMW line to that statement.... somehow I wasn't thinking of bikes that are 2x$

Of course, he hasn't said that HE is interested in just a "big" bike, so the SV650 & DL650 are also on the table with ABS.

Of course, if you want big & ugly, they have an ABS B-King, too.

Woodys650
09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Of course, he hasn't said that HE is interested in just a "big" bike, so the SV650 & DL650 are also on the table with ABS.

Of course, if you want big & ugly, they have an ABS B-King, too.

I was quite seriously looking at the SV w/ ABS as the kids get older and the wife more interested in scootin', a good 2-up bike wouldn't hurt. That's pushing me as well. It's looking like a gently used Bandit ABS. If I can only find one!

ColGoodnight
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Of course, he hasn't said that HE is interested in just a "big" bike....

Daelim Roadwin 125 (http://www.scheibner-olk.de/shop/onlineshop/images/big/alle_0248.jpg)

Hyosung GT250 (http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Hyosung%20GT%20250.jpg)

Johnny Pag Sport 300 (http://www.johnnypag.com/images/motorcycles/gallery/sport/Sport_Pic1.jpg)

HTH,
Tom

Woodys650
09-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I like the looks of the Daelim Roadwin, but dang... a 125? I'm all for small bikes, but I max out a rebel 250 around 75mph with the hamster screaming on the wheels. I can't imagine how hard you'd have to flog a 125 on anything resembling a highway, let alone interstate. That said, it sure looks nice. ;-)

Txchas
11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Triumph Street Triple???

http://www.parts-world.ch/Triumph-Street-Triple-tot.jpg

DCF
11-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Triumph Street Triple???

Sexy.
Unfortunately for me, no ABS available.

Another standard with no ABS (yet) is the Shiver 750 from Aprilia:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/Aprilia%20Shiver%20750%2007%20%202.jpg

The shiver is a v-twin and sounds fantastic with the stock exhaust. The stock healight however.... I would want to replace it.

NorthOfDallas
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Skip the later model FZ1 if you're looking for an 'all-arounder' as it is too leaned toward sport than the Gen 1 (01-05). My only complaint is that mine eats a little oil between changes (about a qt). Beyond that, its excellent for miles or commuting, hooligan riding and just trotting around.

Its aftermarket support is pretty good, second only to the Bandit, but the Bandit needs aftermarket parts to be apples to apples (such as adjustable suspension), Bar Risers and other trinkets. The Bandit is a formidable competitor with gobs of low-end torque and comfy. I found the FZ was better for me as a shorter person, and the docile nature was great - only eclipsed by the light speed 7k-12k powerband.

If you're near me, you are welcome to test ride mine.

pacman
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
The bike you want is being discussed here. (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34674)

budzrex
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=Loyd;483233]No nakeds for any type pf touring...or a ride longer than say an hour.

Man, that cuts out 95% of the street riding I have done in the last
30 years

pacman
12-02-2008, 12:29 AM
No nakeds for any type pf touring...or a ride longer than say an hour.

Man, that cuts out 95% of the street riding I have done in the last
30 years

No kiddin' I've ridden about 100k naked miles over the last 20 years. I like it alright. ;)

Graubart
12-02-2008, 12:32 AM
For a naked standard, I'd vote for the Bandit.

Gets my vote too!

tristan.duff
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm in love with the B1250 ABS, and I can tell you from experience that the ABS is definately a feature you'll be thankful for. It's an extra $500 over the non-ABS Bandit and worth every penny.

Negatives of the Bandit: It has a slightly forward-leaning seating position. With a backpack, I've rode 300 mile trips, but I had to stop every 100 or so and stretch. The seat is acceptable, but not something you want to spend all day on; I'm hearing that either the Suzuki gel seat or the Holeshot/Corbin racing seat is a good investment. If you're not careful with the throttle, the Bandit will smoke the rear tire in first gear without trying; she's got more low-end torque than she knows what to do with. Also, if you're the type of rider who likes to put stuff under your seat for storage, get that idea out of your head - you'll fit the owner's manual and maybe a pocket knife or your cell phone in there, but that's about it. Tire life is supposedly around the 4k mile range, but I haven't tested that one yet. Otherwise, she's reliable, competent, well-poised, and you get a feel for riding the Bandit within the first mile or two. If you're not planning on doing any distance riding, she's **** near perfect as-is; if you do want to rack up the miles, there's inexpensive handlebar riser kits that I hear do wonders for the riding position.

I'm sorry to hear that it took a drop to get you in the market for a new toy. I know how much the "crashing and surgery" thing sucks. My thoughts are with you.

Lastly, good luck over in the sandbox and stay safe!

Grove Rat
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Love my '07 FZ1. Great all around bike.

YamaHauler
06-01-2011, 07:14 AM
You really should look into a Gen1 FZ1. They are one of the best all-round bikes ever made by any manufacter....ever and for less than $4k you can get one that will peel your eyes back with it's power. The motors are some of the longesr lasting super sport touring motors ever made. There are some out there with over 200K. Mine has over 45k and is like new. Ride one, you'll see!

Ga-Bandit
06-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm leaning towards the sport standards.:rider:

Most of my riding is on freeway or state highways/backroads. No dirt/gravel at all. I want a bike that is comfortable enough to go to the store or across the state. I love the looks of the FZ1/FZ6 both. The power and supposed comfort of the Bandit 1250 gets my attention the most, as does the available ABS. SV650 naked style is not out of the question nor is something large and in charge like the Kawi Z1000. I'd like to stay under 9 grand, although the FZ1 is just over.

I know a ton of the cool features and high points. I'm looking for current or previous owners to tell me the LOW POINTS. What didn't you like about your standard/naked bike. Help!!

I can't compare a SV650 to a Bandit 1250 or a FZ1.

I test rode the new Ninja 1000. I wanted to love it but didn't - opposite.

I test rode the new FZ8 around Road Atlanta, I wanted to hate the bike but DID NOT. I found it a joy to ride.

I've ridden a FZ1 but since it was around town I didn't like it but it is a Sport "standard seating position" - insurance companies call it a sport bike and it was HOT!. Power/RPM was too high up IMHO. I rode this around Road Atlanta too, just didn't like it. It seems as though everyone I know that say "The FZ1 is the best...." doesn't "currently" ride one or has one for sale.

I have almost 42,000 miles on my 08 Bandit w/ ABS, and as with most bikes, the addition to an aftermarket seat made me fall in love. I've added engine case guards with highway pegs and routinely ride 400-800 mile days without an issue for leisure rides; I commute 52 miles each day on I-285 around Atlanta. Geico calls it a true standard.

Now, to your question of "The Bad":
2008 Bandit 1250 (ABS) with 41,700 miles on her:
1-Gas mileage isn't as good as I'd like. I get 35 mpg in the mountains and about 42 mpg around town, I'm heavy handed, start/stop harder than most.
2-The stock tires wear out fast around 4-5,000.
3-The windshield could be better for "touring".
4-The angle of the handlebars are slightly "inward" unless your height. challenged or riding "sporty".
5- Sergent seat is NICE, I added it at 28,000 and wished I did it sooner.
6-My mechanic told me to stop bring it to him to check the valve clearance because of a bulletproof motor - oh, wait, that's a good thing isn't it?
7-Cops seem to overlook the bike, wait that's another good thing isn't it?
8-Road 2s seem to only last about 7500 miles with me because of track days - that's probably a good thing too isn't it?
9-The stock side racks for panniers stay on and don't come off easily like SWMotechs.
10- Yeah, it's heavy but the motor has torque right off idle so riding in 6th and passing is EASY even at 50 mph.
11- The gearbox is clunky sounding.

I currently ride my Bandit 1250 and it is NOT for sale.

Ga-Bandit
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Original OP question is from 2008?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gixxerjasen
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Sheesh, leave it up to a bee rider to dig this thread up from the dead. :mrgreen:

TWTourist
06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Sheesh, leave it up to a bee rider to dig this thread up from the dead. :mrgreen:

It was a FZ rider and then the Bee rider just added to it. :rofl:

gixxerjasen
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Yamahauler is the one who dredged it up lately, and he certainly looks to be riding a bee. :mrgreen:

bee...

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Vehicles/Present/2003%20Yamaha%20FZ1%20Take%20II/slides/IMG_4942.JPG

achesley
06-01-2011, 10:11 AM
2008 Bandit 1250 (ABS) with 41,700 miles on her:
2007 Bandit 1250 bought in Mar '08 with 50,000 miles corrected due to speedo healer.

1-Gas mileage isn't as good as I'd like. I get 35 mpg in the mountains and about 42 mpg around town, I'm heavy handed, start/stop harder than most.
Gas mileage is great. 40 to 45 roaming about South Louisiana and East Texas. But I'm an old rider that just uses the bike for a preferred mode of transportation and not my toy. ;-)

-The windshield could be better for "touring".
Many choices out there for this. First thing I did was lose the stock one.

4-The angle of the handlebars are slightly "inward" unless your height. challenged or riding "sporty".
Nothing a person can't change or get use to. I like them as are.

5- Sergent seat is NICE, I added it at 28,000 and wished I did it sooner.
Have not had a bike in many years that I didn't lose the stock seat proto. My choice the same week I bought the bike was a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. Later, added Alaskan Sheep pad.

6-My mechanic told me to stop bring it to him to check the valve clearance because of a bulletproof motor - oh, wait, that's a good thing isn't it?
For sure. Sync the injector bodies at 10,000, changed plugs at 22,000 I think. What valve adjustment? LOL.

LOL Getting dizzy doing this. Just cutting up really.
On the tires >> 2nd set of R2s with me getting 14,000+ out of the first set and have about 5000 on the 2nd set. Read above about an old dude with lots of miles and years of riding. Plus staying out of Arkansas a lot. ;-)

And, like Georgia Bandit, I still have my Bandit and don't see it going anywheres. But, mileage went down this month due to the revival of my re bought old KLR which I've managed to put a 1000 miles on this month. ;-)

Ga-Bandit
06-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Yamahauler is the one who dredged it up lately, and he certainly looks to be riding a bee. :mrgreen:

bee...

lol, same colors as my 01 GSX-R600

gixxerjasen
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM
lol, same colors as my 01 GSX-R600You mean like my old one? :rofl:

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Vehicles/Past/Motorcycles/2001%20GSX-R600/slides/110-1002_IMG.JPG

Ga-Bandit
06-02-2011, 11:50 PM
You mean like my old one? :rofl:

only better looking :lol2:

gixxerjasen
06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
You of course mean the bike, not the rider. :mrgreen:

What is that? An 01 600 in 01 750 clothing?

Ga-Bandit
06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
You of course mean the bike, not the rider.
What is that? An 01 600 in 01 750 clothing?

:thumb:

Good eye on the bike.

mi1lertm
06-04-2011, 12:34 AM
The bike you want is being discussed here. (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34674)

I still think that the Kaw needs to get that rear swing arm undercontrol. Duel shocks went out in the 80's.

Mark

YamaHauler
06-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I ride with several of the Kawi ZRX 1200. They cant keep up with the Fz un less we are doing 60 ft drag races. A;though it has big displacement, its built for low end and abruptly goes flat after that. Another big problem, in my book, is the fork mounted faring and dual rear shocks. Thats 30yr old technmology. But, I hear they are very dependable and being tuned not to rev, the engine should last forever.