• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayers for my Dad

KenB

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to write this, or why I'm writing it. Sitting here with a cup of coffee wondering about life.....

My Dad and I left last Thursday for a long weekend ride to the Piper Aircraft Museum in Lock Haven PA and then up to Cooperstown for a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame. We left PA Friday morning and my dad suffered a mycocardial infarction 70 miles in to the ride. The problem was, he didn't know it. He got sick on the side of the road, complained of chest pain and kept riding. He had no other classic heart attack symptoms. He has suffered from achalasia for years and he thought his esophageal sphincter was causing the problem again. By the time we got him to a local hospital, they immediately put him in an ambulance to the nearest heart hospital. That 8 hour delay may have been worse than the original attack.

I am completely sick to my stomach that I didn't catch it and gave him the thumbs up to continue on the ride. He is now in Cardiovascular ICU and has suffered severe damage to the left descending. The Cardiologist also says there is significant blockage in the other three. We are left wondering how -- good health, good blood pressure, skinny, active with exercise, low cholesterol and no complaints. Quadruple bypass is scheduled for 10AM this morning.

This is one of my favorite pictures of my Dad. This was taken three years ago when he and I rode to Lake Placid for a long weekend riding around the Adirondack Mountains of New York. This was him hamming it up for the camera on top of Whiteface Mountain. He'll be 68 in December.

100_0562.jpg

My Dad is the reason I am a rider and a good person. He's been my hero as long as I can remember. Please keep him in your prayers. Thank you.

Will do. Praying for successful surgery and speedy recovery. My Dad had a triple about 15 years ago and is doing well. May God bless you both.

Prayers sent. My uncle had a triple bypass several years ago in his early 70's. He's still active and feisty today! Your dad can pull through, and your support will give him that extra boost of incentive!

Prayers said. The good news is that medical advances have really come for heart attack vicitims. I know. I had a mild heart attack at 37, and I've never looked back.

I too pray that everything goes well the with bypass and that he will recover and be active again.

Hi everyone,

Dad was in surgery from 10AM until 3:30PM today. He came through it fine and is stable in the Cardiac ICU. There were three bypasses done. There is substantial damage to the left ventricle, but they are hopeful that the heart will heal. The pump has been left in place for now but should be out tomorrow. The ventilator should be removed tonight. When my Mom and I left the hospital tonight he was awake (sort of) and his neurological tests were great. He is expected to be discharged on Monday.

On behalf of me and my family, thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. The support here has been both inspiring and breathtaking.

I’m so ready for bed! Eight hours of sleep in 3 days just doesn't cut it for this middle aged body! :yawn:

Ken

Prayers to you and your family.

Why would a person in such good health suffer such major complications? This is so sad and no one is to blame.

prayers for healing for your dad, and peace for you and the rest of the family

Um, I'm a little late to this thread, so I offered up thanks for the successful surgery as well as prayers for speedy and thorough healing.

:tab Praying for a quick and full recovery. Don't beat yourself up. There are way too many things in life that are beyond our control. Be glad he did not suffer a massive heart attack while cruising down the road and have a nasty wreck as a result ;-) Things could have been a LOT worse. A good dad is priceless. Now that I am older, I appreciate my dad a LOT more than I did when younger. It motivates me to work harder at being a good dad for my kids.

Good news continues. All tubes, catheter, ventilator, etc. have been removed. He was moved out of the Cardiac ICU today into the 'Step Down' unit.

He has been sitting up in bed with legs dangling over the edge of the bed and eating solid foods. Tomorrow morning he'll go for a short walk and be able to shower. His breathing exercises are a challenge but he is staying on top of it, 10x an hour.

The surgeon is very pleased with his progress and attributes his good health to the fast pace at which he is recovering. He will be discharged on Monday. We won't know for about 4-8 weeks how much healing the heart is doing on its own to that left ventricle, and consequently what restrictions he will have.

Today he was sitting up holding my hand and giving me advice on how to fix my broken clothes dryer! Love this guy! :)

Glad the good news continues. :clap:

Dads are great, but we sometimes learn it too late. I did, so I am trying to be a better dad.

Excellent news!!!!

We all try to be better dads for many reasons.

My dad died when I was 16 and he was a stranger.

Well, we just got about the best news ever! Dad is being discharged tomorrow morning! He got the official okey dokey from his surgeon to get out a full two days early because he is doing so well. My Mom was joking that he was chasing nurses earlier today! :) We are all so happy and so very proud of him!

It's amazing when you think about this -- open heart surgery on Tuesday and home on Saturday!

We will keep your dad in our prayers and continue praying for a great and speedy recovery.
Glad to hear the news he is doing so well!

Our prayers for your fathers compleat recovory and to be back in the saddle soon!
Don

Back