• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tripods and monopods

I haven't tried to haul my tripod along yet, but it will fit in one of my panniers. What I usually use is the bike itself. I have two RAM ball mounts on my handlebars. One is for the GPS. The other for a couple of things. One is a ball mount with a threaded post for the camera. Of course that only works is the thing I want to photograph is somewhere I can get the bike.

I really ought to get a small monopod that will fit in the top box.

Really Right Stuff is a great place for tripod stuff. Expensive, but from what I understand worth every penny.

HERE is an article on tripods that specifically mentions size & portability.

I've looked at the Gorillapods but have never tried one. Novel idea.

I picked up an Ultrapod and Ultrapod II years ago and am still using and liking them. I like the velcro strap for wrapping around posts. The G-pod would accomplish the same and it has the added advantage of a QR plate.

I'm getting one of these.

I was gonna suggest one of those. I think Sunpak makes a competing brand. I have one for the Poin n shoot but haven't used it.

Another idea is a bean bag type device to place on a surface. I believe Bogen offers a tripod head that can connect to a clamp. At least I know they have something like that for a reflector/lightstand.

I was gonna suggest one of those. I think Sunpak makes a competing brand. I have one for the Poin n shoot but haven't used it.

Another idea is a bean bag type device to place on a surface. I believe Bogen offers a tripod head that can connect to a clamp. At least I know they have something like that for a reflector/lightstand.
It's called the Pod. I would rather have the flexibility of shooting from almost anywhere.

The former was recommended by a professional photographer that does a lot of landscape/hiking/canoing photography. After this past weekend I can see how it would be a great asset.

I don't own one of these, but I was traveling with a friend last month who raved about theirs: http://www.rei.com/product/749128

Nifty little wrap-around legs and compact size. It seemed to be fairly abuse-tolerant too (backpack friendly).

I just picked up a Remington Shooter's Stick monopod at WalMart for $9.99. It has a camera mount under the rifle rest. It won't fit in my saddlebag, but easily straps down alongside the seat of my Shadow.

My Gorillapod is on the way, just in time for Palo Duro.
I stopped in at FW Camera last Saturday. The Monfrotto monopods are nice!! One has three mini-legs that screw into the bottom of the monopod. Very cool.

Tripod: too much for a moto trip

Gorillapod/ball mounts etc: got 'em and use 'em

Monopod: best of the bunch. I strap it to the back on one of the bags. Steadies the camera esp. for night shots and manual shooting. Got it from WalMart for less than $15. Doubles and a nice walking/dog poking stick.

Bob

I did get a camera RAM-mount at the MC show.

Only thing I bought for me. :shrug:

I don't own one of these, but I was traveling with a friend last month who raved about theirs: http://www.rei.com/product/749128

Nifty little wrap-around legs and compact size. It seemed to be fairly abuse-tolerant too (backpack friendly).

These come in different sizes. I bought what is probably the smallest size and it doesn't have the strength to hold up my old Nikon CoolPix. It does manage the lighter "pocket cameras" fine, though.

These come in different sizes. I bought what is probably the smallest size and it doesn't have the strength to hold up my old Nikon CoolPix. It does manage the lighter "pocket cameras" fine, though.
Yes, they do have different sizes for different weight cameras.
I chose the DSLR one. At FW Camera, they had the new one which is stout enough to hold a DSLR with a big lens. I'd like to see how *that* works.

Now, I do keep this mini-tripod in my bike's storage tube:

tripod_5629q.JPG

Ready to use:

tripod_5630q.JPG

Now, if would just remember to drag it out & use it! :doh:

Wow, who knew a tripod thread would garner so much attention. I have carried a full-size (but lightweight) tripod on my two longest road trips. Bringing it was a no-brainer since it fits in the bottom of the ST1300's side bags. I did not use the tripod on either trip. The longer trip was seven days and over 3000 miles. I am not sure I will bring it again.

I carry a small collapsible 42" tripod from Walmart ($14.99). Very small, fits in saddlebags, take it everywhere, all the time. Great for self portraits and low light photos. But what I'm finding out is I need a better "level pan head" tripod as I'm taking more and more panorama photos.

McDonaldObsvPAN.jpg

Thanks Chuck. You've been there, Mt Locke 6,791 ft - McDonalds Observatory, telescope is to my back.

My bike is my tripod...

I use the top edge of my windshield and rest the body of my pocket digital on that. If the picture is front of me, I don't even have to get off of the bike. Sometimes, however, I will shoot through the top third of the windshield just to prove I was there with the bike. You've seen that on my ride reports.

If I am dismounted and away from the bike, like inside a museum, then I do have a problem steadying the camera sometimes. However, if I remember to exhale and squeeze (as per marksmanship training), then the camera doesn't jitter when I squeeze the shot. At this point I am still not considering taking along a tripod. I have three at home for my old Minolta SLR cameras, and a mini tripod that I have used with the pocket digital to photograph documents.

Mike

I have a Godzilla flexpod. But I can sure use a monopod. Have one picked out - a Monfrotto. Compact, lightweight and affordable.

Back