• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any thoughts on Maxima Chain Wax?

Reaction score
I have been waiting weeks for someone in South Australia to stock Dupont Teflon Wax, no one has it yet and it looks like it may never get here.

I've been reading up on Maxima Chain Wax and it sounds like it may be close to the Dupont product. Can someone tell me how it compares please, particularly in fling and noise. Also, is it a dry wax?

Thanks
alister

I can't compare the Maxima to the Dupont as I've never used the Maxima.

FWIW I've got a guy at work here that uses the Maxima though and he claims that his chain doesn't gunk up when using it. His main commuter is an ST1300 though so I don't know how much he really rides his chain driven bike.

I love Maxima. It's the only thing I'll use at this point.

I've gotten 20K+ out of chains using Maxima. I don't notice a problem with mess from fling, but my tolerances may be different from yours. It's wet, I think.... in that it sprays on and then sets up.

+1 on lovin' the Max wax.......just spray it on a heated chain....and let it setup over night......been using it for years on 2-stroke dirtbikes, and my Bandit.....

I used wax for years, but recently I have been using Teflon lube simply because I like the way it goes on and doesn't make any mess at all, but I can't really say that it performs better or worse than wax or other products.

In my opinion frequency will make much more of a difference than product choice. Some products will wear off faster than others - If you lubricate your chain (with ANY chain-specific lubricant) every couple thousand miles, depending on what and where you ride, your chain should be just fine.

I used wax for years, but recently I have been using Teflon lube simply because I like the way it goes on and doesn't make any mess at all, but I can't really say that it performs better or worse than wax or other products.

In my opinion frequency will make much more of a difference than product choice. Some products will wear off faster than others - If you lubricate your chain (with ANY chain-specific lubricant) every couple thousand miles, depending on what and where you ride, your chain should be just fine.

I previously used PJ1 Blue. I *CAN* say that the DuPont Teflon spray is worlds better than the PJ1 dedicated chain lube. Ironically, I bought both cans from the same place at the same time. The PJ1 was for the chain and the Teflon was for the cables and general chassis lube. Had I known the magical properties of the DuPont Teflon spray, I'd have never wasted the money on the PJ1.

The PJ1 is extremely tacky and will pick up all kinds of grit. Enough to turn my gold chain black. Cleaning the chain was always a serious task and until I bought a grunge brush, I wasn't able to really get the chain shiny clean.

With the Teflon spray I have yet to have either of my chains collect any noticeable dirt between cleanings though the chain is obviously still coated since I can smudge the coating on the chain with my finger.

With the PJ1 I could hear the grit in the chain getting crushed against the sprocket and I cleaned and reapplied the stuff every 2-300 miles (about once a week). I was imagining the abrasive paste generated by the PJ1 eating away at the aluminum rear sprocket. I had to replace that chain/sprocket at about 6k miles. :doh:

I still have the PJ1 in the garage, I'm not sure why. You can have it if you want to see how a chain lube should not perform. :lol2:

Dupont Teflon spray lube from Lowes. Do a search, there are many threads on this board about it.

I switched to it and glad I did.

Not sure if they have a Lowes home improvement store as we know it in Adelaide. I searched for Lowes Australia and it came back with a clothing site.

If you lubricate your chain (with ANY chain-specific lubricant) every couple thousand miles, depending on what and where you ride, your chain should be just fine.

Every couple of thousand???? How long does your chain last? I do mine once a week in normal use (about every 250 miles) and couldn't imagine leaving it for as long as you suggest.

Every couple of thousand???? How long does your chain last? I do mine once a week in normal use (about every 250 miles) and couldn't imagine leaving it for as long as you suggest.

I agree.....I do mine every weekend.....usually around 450 miles of commuting.....thousands sounds way too long between lubes....

I agree.....I do mine every weekend.....usually around 450 miles of commuting.....thousands sounds way too long between lubes....

You're both absolutely right! My apologies, I did mean every couple of HUNDRED miles...

Dupont Teflon ? I might have to go try it out...Any others using this stuff ?

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15327&highlight=teflon

There's a bunch of threads on it, I think it's universally loved...

I used the Maxima stuff for quite a few years. I liked it, it gooped up pretty quick, I had to chain my chain every week before applying a new coat, but it seemed to protect well.

Now I'm using the Dupont Teflon. I re-apply it every 300mi or so and only have to clean it once every 4-5 applications, which is over 1,000mi.

It's good stuff.

trey

Something else to consider. I've used Repsol chain lube for years - it's really good stuff.

53-9137b.jpg

I use Teflon about once every thousand miles and that is likely more than necessary IMHO. All the lube that the chain would ever need has being installed at the factory, so "lubing" the chain is more for the o-rings benefit, rather than the chain itself. I would advise against using brush on the chain for the exact same reason.

Got 12K on my commuter strom and the chain has held up so far.

Sounds right to me.

I had one 25k chain and one 20k chain. I cleaned with WD40 and lubed with Maxima at each oil change under normal use (every 3000 miles). On trips I would lube by doing a quick spraying down at the end of the day (maybe every other day or 1000-1500 miles).

The chains stayed pretty clean (no one was yelling at me for having a rusty looking chain) between applications. The 20k chain got crazy loose in the last 1000 miles or so, but that was on a 2-week trip and I'd probably been abusing it pretty hard (ie not lubing enough over the trip). I did carry a mini-bottle of Maxima in my saddlebags at all times.

I just can't imagine doing any more maintenance than that. Really. I mean, I'd be cleaning and lubing before and during every ride (250 miles is an easy morning) if I followed the regimens of some of you.

I'd say 20,000 miles or about one year is pretty good for a chain.

I have used Maxima chain wax on both my triumph bonneville and my new bandit 1250 with great results. Just remember to put on a warm chain and let it stand for 20 minutes or so to let it set before riding.

I rang Dupont Australia and spoke to the guy running it. In my best voice I told him of the trouble I was having getting it in South Australia, he explained they were in the process of negotiating a retail network, should be available soon. In the mean time he sent me a small bottle of Teflon Chain-Saver, the same product in a liquid (as opposed to spray) that can be sent through the post.

So I cleaned the chain thoroughly, squirted a bit on, giving it a thorough application without being wasteful, let it set overnight and went for a ride. I like it. A lot.

The spray will make things so much easier, and quicker to reapply, can't wait to get it in a spraycan.

If all else fails I guess I can use the Maxima, but Dupont is definately the preference.

Thanks all,
alister

I mean, I'd be cleaning and lubing before and during every ride (250 miles is an easy morning) if I followed the regimens of some of you.

Normal use for me is commuting, and that's hard on a chain and on the rest of the bike so I wash the bike and lube the chain once a week which is 250 miles. That doesn't mean I lube the chain 2 or 3 times a day when I'm on a trip!

I'm a Dupont Teflon user, but I suspect it has as much or more to do with how clean you keep your chain as opposed to the actual lube used. I do like the DuPont for that reason, as it seems to attract the least amount of grit of anything I've tried up to this point.

Gary, what do you use to clean it?

Kerosene is my first preference and a small brush. WD-40 is my second choice. I've used PB Blaster, too. My concern is flushing the factory oil/grease out behind the O-rings, but getting the gunk off the plate/pin joints. That's just one man's opionion, though. The only thing that generates more controversy is what oil to use and abortion. :mrgreen:

Back