• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Receiver Hitch Carrier

cpf3

Reaction score
I'm considering a receiver hitch carrier (e.g.; JoeHauler or Mesa Verde Mfg.) to haul a GS650 Dakar. The truck's a GMC Sierra (1/2 ton, Z71, 4x4). I pull the GMC behind a motorhome (full time RV traveler) and this may be the only way I have to haul/store the bike. Anyone have any experience/opinions that you can offer?

Chuck

Wow!

I've been doing a lot of research as well on this topic.

If the GS wieghs what I think it wieghs, I think the HD model Joe Hauler is your only option. Since this is going to be a full time thing for you, I'd probably find a welding shop that can weld some "extensions" from the Joe Hauler to some point on the frame. I'd probably have something that just goes "over" something so it's still removable, the "fingers" would just keep things from rocking too much.

I've chickened out and decided that I'll only buy something for the DRZ, and I'm going to go with the motojackrack, but I doubt it would hold the 650...

April 3, 2005
Benson, AZ

<< If the GS wieghs what I think it weighs... >>

It's listed at 387 lbs (dry). I'm cautious about hanging that much weight on the back of the pickup. My hitch tongue weight limit is 500 lbs, and I've already decided to beef it up.

<< I'd probably find a welding shop that can weld some "extensions" ... would just keep things from rocking too much. >>

Good idea. I'll have to look at that and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the comments.

Chuck
Redleg6.com (a work in progress)

Receiver Hitch

Careful There!! I recently looked at a Class III receiver hitch for my Xterra. The brand name was CURT and was constructed of very nice 3-4" diameter tubular steel. This thing only had a 400lb tongue weight rating with a 4000 load towing rating. That seemed minimal for using a receiver hitch mounted "bike hauler" device. Remember to include the weight of the bike hauler unit when buying your receiver hitch. That'll easily exceed 400 lbs with most bikes. I would also recommend ONLY buying aluminum units. That cuts the weight by half of steel.

April 12, 2005
Kerrville, TX

<< Remember to include the weight of the bike hauler unit when buying your receiver hitch. >>

Excellent suggestion. My truck came with a hitch that has a 500# tongue rating. That's not sufficient for my needs. If I can’t get it beefed up (by a pro hitch place), I’ll replace it.

<< I would also recommend ONLY buying aluminum units. >>

Another great idea, since I’ll be using it a lot (incl. taking it off and on...often). Do you have any experience with one of these (strength, reliability, and wear & tear)?

Chuck

In Kerrville eh? Do you already have the GS with you? You are in prime Texas riding country!

Adios,

April 12, 2005
Kerrville, TX

<< In Kerrville eh? Do you already have the GS with you? >>

No. I'm looking to buy one...after I get all the hauling details worked out. Since I have no place to store one that need to be addressed first.

Kerrville in the spring is a great place to ride (been here over Esater many times on a bicycle). I'm really missing out here. But then, I need to get into San Antonio by tomorrow anyhow.

VChuck

April 13, 2005
San Antonio, TX

<< Strapping the bike into the bed of the Sierra seems to me much safer and less expensive. >>

Yes, but...the pickup is my "garage" and I'm not ready to get rid of the stuff in the back...yet.

2 16' sea kayaks
1 kayak cart
2 mtn bicycles
2 footlocker-size boxes (w/paddle gear (PFD's, wetsuits, dry bags, water shoes, etc.)
7 paddles
3 sets of ski poles
4 hiking sticks
Camping gear for two (tent, bags, pads, stove, etc.)
1 case MRE's
1 tool box
12v air compressor
25' tow strap
4 lawn chairs
1 24" step ladder

Chuck

Pull a trailer with the truck being pulled by the RV. Or get a rack for some of your gear for the truck and put the mountain bikes on the receiver hitch. Or sell some of it and be like us humble folk. :angel: :-D

April 16, 2005
San Antonio, TX

<< Or sell some of it ... >>

My wife put you up to that, didn't she!?

Chuck

Photo link not working. Says "Forbidden!"

Back