• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

103 Bypass Recon

XTGirl

Reaction score
Today I went to try and follow the map provided on the ETX DS ride link for the 103 Bypass. I couldnt make it all the way through as shown by the map. I do not have a GPS, so don't even go there. I'm not sure how this route would work out, but below are pics I took along the way.

I started on Fm 226 at Etoile and turned on the first road to the right as indicated by the map. That would be CR 460. It was a nice oil top with the bridge below near the start.
CR460Bridge.jpg

After a mile or more, I realized I wasnt in Kansas anymore...
EndPvmtCR460.jpg

Here is more of the road...
CR460.jpg

CR460Midway.jpg

Well, then I ended up at this little intersection, so I looked at my map, it looked similar, so I went right, which would be south, or opposite the way I was facing when I took this picture!
Intersection.jpg

By and by I came to came OUT of this gate and turned around to take a picture of it. Looks like to me I just came out of private property. :doh:
GateCR463.jpg

I continued on my journey and followed that thick sandy road until I came out on 103! I was expecting to come out on FM 95! So I turned left (east) and went on up to Fm 95, feeling sure that I could find the other end of this dang road from that end...no such luck. The only "official" roads that turned left were the following:

This appeared to be a possibility, but after reading the sign, decided I didnt have time to be prosecuted today, and continued northward on 95.
Cottingham.jpg

Then I saw this road and turned in.
CR485Sign.jpg

This beautiful scenery is right there on this corner! Awesome! I thought I was onto something here!
CR485atFM95.jpg

But DANG - foiled again!
EndCR485.jpg

So I gave up and went to the lake! The water is down around Rayburn, and I knew I could find some fun there! This is the boatramp.
EtoileBoatramp.jpg

I went right on down the ramp and out into the edge of the lake. LOTS of fun! Deep sand and mud, humps, bumps, logs and a beautiful view!
147BridgeNSide.jpg

So that's that! Good luck finding your way with the GPS! I tried!:giveup:

Nice!:clap: I'm glad you were able to do this. Thanks!:rider:

I got a couple of questions.

When you accidentally came out on 103 and turned left [east] , was it about 1 mile to 95?

Did you go past any "posted" signs between the beginning of CR460 and where you 1st came out on 103?

Btw, CR485 is too far north and is also a dead road...according to Mapsource. Of course you would've known this if you had a GPS.:lol2:

Thanks for the "recon"!:thumb:

Thanks for making the effort XTGirl. I have family down Cook road and you can actually ride it all the way back to the "fox camp road" (I forget the CR#). But it is the road (Fox Camp), that we will ride from Chireno to Etoile. The hunting lease and the timber property have cut off access to 95 from Cook Rd several years ago.

Deep down I was hoping something might have changed since Temple sold off nearly all of their land back in March/April of this year, guess it hasn't.

Wow, there is grass growing at the end of the boat ramp? :eek2:

Not only is the lake LOW, but it must have been low a LONG time. :sun:

Thumper: I did not notice any posted signs - actually I was just riding along and all of a sudden, there was NO more asphalt. I should have taken a picture of the big deerstand and 3 food plots the road went right through, but at that point I was a little afraid to stop for fear someone might "find" me!

When I came out on 103, it was more like 3 miles or so back to Fm 95. There was one other dirt road that turned back left, but I didn't go down it. All of the accesses to the woods turning westward (left) off 95 between 103 and Chireno were all closed gates or cables.

I dont know where this Fox Camp Rd is but there is a nice dirt road that turns off between Etoile school and a church and it goes all the way through to 95 from the looks of the map.

I guess some of you fellas will have to school me on GPS. I know how useful they are, but it seems terribly complicated to me. However, after yesterday's difficulties, I'm DEFINATELY 100% willing to learn! I certainly dont want approach "stupid" this late in life! (See signature below.)

Last edited:
I guess some of you fellas will have to school me on GPS. I know how useful they are, but it seems terribly complicated to me. However, after yesterday's difficulties, I'm DEFINATELY 100% willing to learn! I certainly dont want approach "stupid" this late in life! (See signature below.)

They are great tools and really pretty easy to learn how to use. I rode dirt for many years without a GPS. About 2 years ago I finally broke down and bought one. It'll completely change your riding perspective, especially riding solo in East Tx.:sun:

So have we determined that this bypass IS or IS NOT going to work out for this weekend? I'd like to finalize the route before I load it to the GPS to avoid confusion...

I started on Fm 226 at Etoile and turned on the first road to the right as indicated by the map. That would be CR 460.
CR460Bridge.jpg

Intersection.jpg

By and by I came to came OUT of this gate and turned around to take a picture of it. Looks like to me I just came out of private property. :doh:
GateCR463.jpg

I continued on my journey and followed that thick sandy road until I came out on 103! I was expecting to come out on FM 95!

Thumper:
When I came out on 103, it was more like 3 miles or so back to Fm 95. There was one other dirt road that turned back left, but I didn't go down it.

Hey Duke, She did make it through, just not all the way to 95. By the comments, I'd say she came out across from Wotten Rd. and then she saw the second exit "that turned back left", and it's about a mile from 95.

Anyhow these pics don't look private and the center unmaintained section probably is private but not gated or posted.

I will mention that this is a choice to be made by each group.:rider:

Back