PDA

View Full Version : Spectormans' 03 ZRX1200 mod update

spectorman
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, yes, I know, this thread is worthless w/out pics but my wife left town (she's in Houston if anybody is looking to score!) again w/the camera. I'll post pics when I can. Until then, I've been busy farkeling away on the "new to me" ZRX1200, my second ZRX1200, and have now exhausted my limited moto-savings & wife's patience. There's more to do but here's what I've accomplished in the last 3 weeks of ZRX ownership.

Installed a:
-Targa dark smoke screen, 4" taller than stock & creates a nice little pocket of still air, not to mention looks mean
-Bikemaster oval mirrors (smaller lighter, replaces the OEM elephant ears)
-ChuckC's mirror extenders (so you can actually see what's behind you, not an easy job w/aftermarket mirrors about 40% smaller than the OEM's- did I mention the OEM's look like elephant ears?)
-Progrip 724 gel grips (in black w/blue inserts that match the paint! Cool!)
-Throttlemeister heavy bar end weights & throttle lock
-Armitron Instalite watch w/the bands shaved down (attached w/a little
RTV blue silicone on the center bar mount- $16 @ Wal-Mart for the whole
shebang; much cheaper than a $100 Marlin clock & just as effective!)
-Champ91 sliders and rear spools
-Ted383's 4 degree ignition advancer- smooths out bottom end power,
increases roll-on performance & gas mileage
-Ted383's horn relocator (moves the horn to an inconspicuous location
under the bikini fairing w/out affecting performance- really cleans up the
look)
-RC51's radiator fingers (eliminates those fugly OEM radiator brackets &
cleans up the look)
-Muzzy Ti can
-Rear fender trim, courtesy of a neighbor w/a sharp blade & a steady
hand

Still to do-
-Sargent seat (November? I pray...)
-Emissions block off kit
-Jet kit/pods
-Header
-Stainless steel brake lines
-New tires!

You'll note most of my mods were comfort or appearance-oriented. Those are more of a significant issue w/me than performance, at least for now & mostly cuz that stuff was lots cheaper! You'll also note many of the items purchased were crafted by the artisans & craftsmen on the zrxoa site specifically for the ZRX. Nothing quite like a bike having its fan base! And you gotta support the little man trying to make a buck! For now, I'm pretty satisfied w/engine/handling/braking performance so that stuff can wait.

It's amazing to me, especially w/what's been going on in my personal & professional life, that I've been able to spend as much time on the bike as I have these last 3 weeks. Actually, the bike really distracted me from some of the issues & I'm kind of grateful. I've done more farkelization on this bike in that time period than I've ever done w/any of my previous 7 or 8 bikes.

I mean no offense to any of you folks who love your ZZR1200 but I can honestly say, I do not miss mine at all. I am just so dang happy w/the ZRX again. I've put more miles on the ZRX in the last 3 weeks than I did the last 6 months on my former ZZR. That in itself speaks volumes about my love for this bike.

The biggest difference I feel between the ZZR and the ZRX is this- the ZZR was a stable high speed ST whereas the ZRX is much more nimble, easier handling ride, certainly better for around town issues. I know Kawi claims a minimal weight difference between the two but to me, the ZRX feels 80 lbs lighter, easy. I'm guessing the shorter wheelbase, thinner width, more upright position & reduced weight all contribute to that feel but overall, I'm just so much more comfortable w/it than I ever was w/the ZZR. I could never adjust to the ZZR, never get it to fit me, no matter what I did.

The ZZR was a great bike- I loved the power & the sound, especially w/the dual Muzzy's but I'm so glad to be ZRX bound again.
Lee

spectorman
10-24-2008, 12:59 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/2966770309_e791b769d8_b.jpg

spectorman
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2966770297_cf997af859_b.jpg

spectorman
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2966770303_ac80197c41_b.jpg

spectorman
10-24-2008, 01:01 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2966770291_cf798986bb_b.jpg

beardking
10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
That is one very nice looking ZRX you have there. Almost makes me wish I had gone for one instead of the 919. Almost.

spectorman
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
thanks for the compliments- she's a beauty alrighty!
Lee

pacman
10-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Great looking ZRX! :bow:

That is one very nice looking ZRX you have there. Almost makes me wish I had gone for one instead of the 919. Almost.

You should have ridden mine before you bought that H*nda. :lol2:

MCRyder
10-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Very sweet! The ZRX is such a great looking machine and will be even better when you get the rest of the farkle list done.

BTW, what have you got planned for the pink ride with the blue wheels? :lol2:

TWTim
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I love those radiator fingers. Did you have to mod them at all?

Great look. I'm getting some for mine now. :thumb:

spectorman
10-24-2008, 10:44 PM
that's my 5 year old daughter Sarah's ride & she takes it seriously!

Very sweet! The ZRX is such a great looking machine and will be even better when you get the rest of the farkle list done.

BTW, what have you got planned for the pink ride with the blue wheels? :lol2:

spectorman
10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I love those radiator fingers. Did you have to mod them at all?

Great look. I'm getting some for mine now. :thumb:

Nope they fit right on & eliminate those ugly, oversized radiator shrouds. Probably drop about 2 lbs. just by replacing them. They're made by a zrxoa member; here's the link if'n you be interested:
http://www.zrxoa.org/forums//showthread.php?t=85587

Several of the zrxoa members made other variations of the same item but IMO, these are the best looking.
Lee

pkiser
10-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Your ZRX looks great. It is one of those bikes that is on my list to have some day. I think a green one sitting next to my ZZR would look nice in the garage. :rider:

beardking
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
You should have ridden mine before you bought that H*nda. :lol2:

I actually seriously considered asking you, but considering the reason I was getting a new bike was because I just wrecked my old bike, I didn't figure people would be standing in line to let me ride their bikes. :)

I would still like to take a test ride on your bike. I still hope to add a ZRX to my list of owned bikes eventually.

spectorman
10-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Your ZRX looks great. It is one of those bikes that is on my list to have some day. I think a green one sitting next to my ZZR would look nice in the garage. :rider:

I had an 01 ZRX, sold it to get an 04 ZZR1200 & then sold that to get back on the ZRX, this time an 03! Sorry I ever sold my original ZRX but loving the "new" one. Lee

TWTim
10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Nope they fit right on & eliminate those ugly, oversized radiator shrouds. Probably drop about 2 lbs. just by replacing them. They're made by a zrxoa member; here's the link if'n you be interested:
http://www.zrxoa.org/forums//showthread.php?t=85587

Several of the zrxoa members made other variations of the same item but IMO, these are the best looking.
Lee

Awesome, thanks. :thumb:

mi1lertm
11-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Very clean and sexy, I was looking at the ZXR once upon a time and love the blue color. It is shame that Kaw'ie dropped there 1200 standards for the K1000, their new bikes look a little harsh and I do not like the new trend in pipe design. I thank you got one of the last good ones,

BTW how does it turn with the twin shocks? I have heard that the swing arm cage is a good design and does not flex much.

Cheers,

Mark

whitesands
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
The ZRX is one of my favorite models...

spectorman
11-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Very clean and sexy, I was looking at the ZXR once upon a time and love the blue color. It is shame that Kaw'ie dropped there 1200 standards for the K1000, their new bikes look a little harsh and I do not like the new trend in pipe design. I thank you got one of the last good ones,

BTW how does it turn with the twin shocks? I have heard that the swing arm cage is a good design and does not flex much.

Cheers,

Mark

I am not squiddly by any means. The bike has always handled great by my standards. Front and rear end are pretty adjustable so it suits my riding purposes just fine. Lee

mi1lertm
11-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Did not mean to offend, I had heard that the shocks heats up and you can loose rebound and comp with the twin rear shocks. The farther back the shocks are set, the more travel the have to indure, which means more heat to disipate. This is why they moved up the shock to the front of the swing arm. I know that your twin shocks have a resovor and seem to be top notch (from what I have read about them) but I just had to ask if you had noticed any loss while sport riding, i.e. spinning rear tire out of corners or rear end getting softer after some hard riding. I have not ridden this bike but was swayed to it a few years ago. If it was still out last year I would have gotten it. I went to the B1250 because I was not happy with the FZ1 or K1000 (rode both of them first and not impressed) FZ1 is a top end beast but has no mid or low end punch (5 valves) K1000 is not bad but no wind protection and buzzy, also turns slow with the the fat 190 on the back. Again, I wonder what Kawasaki is thinking when they had one of the best standards out with this bike. I was looking at the Eddy Lawson blue special back in 03. Not sure, but is this the bike you have?

Cheers,

Mark

pacman
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I have experienced some fading issues with my ZRX shocks. It's worse now that the shocks are older and the oil really needs to be changed. After riding for a couple hours, the ride gets more and more "wallowy", almost like the rear tire pressure is low. Kawasaki says they're not serviceable, but I've a found a guy at a motocross shop that says he can rebuild these KYBs in his sleep. We'll see soon enough. :)

spectorman
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Did not mean to offend, I had heard that the shocks heats up and you can loose rebound and comp with the twin rear shocks. The farther back the shocks are set, the more travel the have to indure, which means more heat to disipate. This is why they moved up the shock to the front of the swing arm. I know that your twin shocks have a resovor and seem to be top notch (from what I have read about them) but I just had to ask if you had noticed any loss while sport riding, i.e. spinning rear tire out of corners or rear end getting softer after some hard riding. I have not ridden this bike but was swayed to it a few years ago. If it was still out last year I would have gotten it. I went to the B1250 because I was not happy with the FZ1 or K1000 (rode both of them first and not impressed) FZ1 is a top end beast but has no mid or low end punch (5 valves) K1000 is not bad but no wind protection and buzzy, also turns slow with the the fat 190 on the back. Again, I wonder what Kawasaki is thinking when they had one of the best standards out with this bike. I was looking at the Eddy Lawson blue special back in 03. Not sure, but is this the bike you have?

Cheers,

Mark

No offense taken! I can't say I've ever experienced any negatives w/the ZRX's rear shocks. However, a bunch of folks on the zrxoa site have replaced them w/higher end aftermarket parts but for me, it's not an issue. And yes, I own the blue 03 model.
Lee

GS1100
11-20-2008, 07:21 PM
very nice '03 rex spector. :chug:
I really enjoyed mine while I had it.

budzrex
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Wayne, fist just get the gas recharged in shocks, any good shop with
nitrogen can handle it, just pop off the cap on the bottom and there
is a schrader valve 175lbs works great. When we checked my shocks
the first time one side was down to 0 and the other side read about 10
pounds. 10 bucks later it was like new again.

And if the shocks are fresh, no fading issues from hard charging in
the twisties or track days for me.

pacman
11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I've had them recharged a couple of times at this same shop. He fixed my leaky schrader valves a couple weeks ago, too. He installed 2 new cores.

One thing that had him puzzled, however, was the 175psi. He was pretty surprised that folks are running that kind of pressure in these things. He couldn't even get the up that high, and I ended up with about 165ish. Let me tell you, at that pressure, the shocks were brutal, even on the softest setting. I had him put 140 in this last time and so far they seem much better. We'll see this weekend, though. ;)