• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading to Terlingua Nov. (Big Bend)

Reaction score
I am heading down to terlingua in nov.for 4 days of off road riding. I have not been down there in 22 years ( I have 40 acres on Terlingua ranch) Has any one done any dirt riding in the Terlingua area? Need some suggestions on where to ride. We only have dirt bikes and atv's. any suggestions are appreciated.

You guy's have a great forum here and now I am interested in a dual purpose bike

thanks
Rob

Welcome to the site! :wave:

You need to hook up with "Uncle Roger", he lives near the old Terlingua ghost town. He can clue you in on the good riding.

PM him. His actual username is "ramblinrog (aka) Uncle". He's in Mexico right now for the MexTrek rally with "Richard_" (the nephew). Other guys really in the know about the Big Bend area are "Teeds" and "XR650Rocketman". One of the Sheriff Deputies out there is a member here, "old_dude". Between the five of those guys, you will find out pretty much everything that can be known about the place ;-)

Hey thanks for your help. I hope to get in touch with these guys and get some good knowledge of what the Terlingua/ Big Bend area now has to offer.

Rob

Any one have a favorite place to eat in Terliingua?:eat: How was Kathy's Kosmic? I heard that Tivo's up by the Longhorn motel was good, anyone eaten there? We leave in 18 days and I am trying to put the finishing touches on this trip.

:giveup: Any one have any other suggestion on riding in Terlingua please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Both Kosmic Kathy's and Tivo's have excellent food. You can even bring your own beverage of choice to Tivo's ; )

And, if you're in the area Friday, Lajitas has 2 for 1 fajitas that are out of this world!!

Voni
sMiling

I spent every morning there around Kathy's fire pit watching the sun rise. I love that place.

Any one have a favorite place to eat in Terliingua?:eat: How was Kathy's Kosmic? I heard that Tivo's up by the Longhorn motel was good, anyone eaten there? We leave in 18 days and I am trying to put the finishing touches on this trip.

:giveup: Any one have any other suggestion on riding in Terlingua please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Kathy's is great!!! Tell her Tony said hi!

Tivo's is good, but I wish he had not moved ... yea that was a LONG time ago now! We used to ford the river and eat in Mexico as well ... ah ... the memories ... dang, I'm old!

Regarding riding ...

The river road across the bottom of the park is closed just west of the cut off to Talley. It might be open by the time you get there all the way through to Castolon.

Ross Maxwell between Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon was closed.

Santa Elena was open, but only the overlook and you have to use Maverick Road to get there.

SH170 is closed around Loma Peloma. You can detour north up to Casa Piedra or go around the barriers if you are on a bike.

Most of the rest of the 500 miles I rode there week before last is in great shape except for the fact that the sand is getting really loose in some areas because of lack of rain and excessive traffic.

Still ... all in all ... any day in Big Bend is better that any day in Dallas.

I leave to go back Christmas night.

Can't wait!

Thanks to all that have replied. It will be very interesting to see how much things have changed in 22 years. I will post about this great adventure of 2 Dads and their 2 Daughters.

Thanks to " Uncle Rodger" for the phone call and the heads up.

Robert:rider:

Back