• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit 1200 RQ Chain & Sprockets Cost Sheet

Reaction score
I never had a bike young enough for the dealership to want to work on it, so once I got my 2002 Bandit 1200S I was curious to see what certain maintenance costs are. Below I share my costs from a local Suzuki dealer here in Sacramento California, USA for a $343.33 chain and sprocket replacement job.

------------- RQ CHAIN & SPROCKETS ---------------

QT--- PART ------------------------- COST EACH
1 - JTF513.15T Front Sprocket...............$18.39
1 - Sunstar 2-522645 Rear Sprocket........$48.99
1 - RK 530X120 O-Ring Chain................$125.95

Labor $150.00

Some quick Googling validated that the cost of parts was close to what others would charge.

By the way I have no idea what RQ stands for, do you?

If you have any mods on you bike you might want to look at this chain.

http://www.whitebuffaloracing.com/shopexd.asp?id=1509

Much stronger (might last 15K miles) +1 you can get the gold/black or nickle plating as well. ~10.4K tensile strength on X ring ZVM2

Your 530XSO only has 9.4K TS, why not upgrade for another $20

Wear index for the RK is 750, for the ZVM2 is 3,700 as well.

Might as well buy a chain breaker as well ~$125 (hi quality DID) and do it your self for cheaper and now have the tools as well. Grind off the old rivets chain fall off, pull rear wheel and change sprocket (~30min 1st time) sprocket in front is only 2-3 bolts away and then another two to remove sprocket. Should be done in 1-2 hours. By the time you have changed a few you should be able to get it down to about 45min. Now you can charge $150 to do it for your friends.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your information.... It's good you've found a dealer you are comfortable with since you don't have the time or inclination to do the work yourself. The labor charge really isn't excessive if you're running business with lots of overhead but this really is a DIY project with lots of people around (this forum and others) that will walk you thru it.

The RK chain is not the most popular one out there but my OEM RK chain lasted quite a while.... 47k with lots of TLC along the way. Keep it cleaned and lube it often and you won't be disappointed.

Next go around I would opt for the OEM countersprocket - it has a rubber damper that quiets things and reduces vibes better than the aftermarket one you used. Be prepared to spend more though (43 bucks IIRC) compared to your cost noted above.

Cool, gonna be a 'like new' bike when you get it back..... and low mileage too. I put over 40,000 miles on an '03 FZ1 and did everything you're having done..... after getting it done for me when I bought it used. I would venture to say that it seemed to run better than than when I first bought it.

For the heck of it, go out and buy some Seafoam "marine" gas additive and put one once per gallon of gas into your tank and run it through the system. I do this as a preventative measure in both my car and my bikes every 2,000 miles or so..... fuel injected or otherwise.

The only other thing you can sink money into are some shocks & matching tube springs from Aftershocks.... all dialed in for your weight and/or that of a passenger. A properly set up suspension totally transforms your bike, totally!

Back