• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery Scooter for Kid?

Reaction score
First Name
Lilia
Has anyone tried and been happy with a battery-powered scooter for their kid? A dirt bike is out of the question right now for various reasons I won't bother going into. But, we are thinking of getting Harley one of the battery powered kid scooters. They don't technically have to be street legal since he won't be allowed to go on the major streets but running around our little neighborhood would be ok. Maybe one like they sell at Toys R Us? Or a cheap foreign made little scooter?

I'm trying to guage if it's worth the money. We want to get him started on something with wheels and powered speed control.

I'd love some feedback or personal experience...

Does he ride a bicycle already? I know thats kinda a dumb question, but if he is not super confident on a bicycle I would not even think of putting him on anything with a motor.

A little electric scooter would be perfect once he has mastered the bicycle, I know I would have loved to ride one when I was 5. I had to wait until I was 8 and then I could ride my neighbors Honda Spree around the neighborhood

Found this when I was searching. Not exactly a gas powered scooter, but a kick-powered razor. If he can balance on that thing then I would say he is ready for a gas powered bike!
http://www.pulsekickngo.com/TheDealership_NitrousSpecs.aspx?gclid=CPHSmYL9nZgCFQsaHgod-HcGng

Oh yeah, he's a pro on a a bike and is even starting to do tricks with his step bar things that stick out of both wheels. He's 9 so age isn't a problem and he is quite well coordinated.

There's a girl a couple streets away that got one of those Razor battery powered scooters for Christmas but I'm waiting to see how long it lasts. It's only been a month. If it has a finite lifespan of a couple of months, that's not worth the money spent.

:rider:

what? you're going to denie the boy a dirt bike? tell him I feel his pain, lets just hope you don't pick at hime about it the way you do others :lol2:

I know schwinn makes one, or at least they use to. It was strong enough to haul my fat butt around. Have you checked Sam's?

Well, we've talked about the dirt bike thing a lot. Wish it was that simple ... after all, I'd just have to get my own bike and gear too. And that'd be such a burden.

Well, we've talked about the dirt bike thing a lot. Wish it was that simple ... after all, I'd just have to get my own bike and gear too. And that'd be such a burden.

its true that both of you would need one, but I'm not seeing the problem
just sell star's bike :giveup:

:giveup: does this mean i should lay low at bike night tomorrow :lol2:

We parents must sacrifice for the sake of our children. :zen:

We bought one of these at WalMart...

111902403601406.jpg

The first one's battery went bad within a month. Exchanged it for another one and its battery went dead after a few months. It was fun initially; but I think overall they are a waste of money.

I am looking for a small 50cc minibike for my 11-yr-old. He rode one up at his cousin's in Pennsylvania and there is a large field near here where he could have fun on it. I've been trying Craigslist but so far no luck. But I still think it is a better option, it will run longer being a real engine (not just a battery) and he won't outgrow it as quickly. I rode the above bike once, but the battery charge didn't last very long. At least with a minibike I could have some fun with it as well!

Cheers! M2

That's the exact one I was looking at, but it's that same scenario that you mention - battery - that I am trying to avoid wasting money on.

How do you find a mini bike? Are there certain brands? Home-made versions? There's a ton of motorcycles on Craigslist in Houston but I don't know that I know what to look for...

I have been scanning Craigslist here in SA as well as postig on local forums. I am not so concerned about finding one from the "Big 4" in as long as it runs.

I didn't know TSC had them, I might have to check that out. Our local HEBs had some before Christmas, but they disappeared fast. I am just looking for the standard 50cc minibike. Heck, it can even have a lawnmower-style pull starter.

But you want to steer clear of the battery-powered ones. I think they are all crap.

Cheers! M2

Back