• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Manual Cruise Control (?)

Fittysom'n

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've been doing the Throttle Rocker for years now.... the version before velcro/hook-loop. I tried it on the throttle of my Bandit the other day, but I'm not quite sure if I like it on the Zuki'.

I have some new gel grips that will be going on soon, so I would like to put a manual cruise control in place first.

Yeeeears ago I had the Vanda Cruise, the Vista Cruise, and my Rocker, what has anybody put on the dual cable Bandit that fits, looks, and works well???

I use a cramp buster. It spins out of the way when I don't need it and moves into place when I do. One thing I don't like is that it touches my hand no matter if I need it or not. But it works and it's cheap.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

I used a throttlemeister on my FJR. Easy, out of the way, and added weight for the bar ends for less vibrations.

On my Ninja 250 I can slide the Crampbuster over the bar end about 1/2 inch, where it will oppose the throttle return spring and let me remove my right hand for brief periods of time.

I have a Manic Salamander. It's a lot like the Throttlemeister in theory. Works pretty well but not as user friendly as it could be because the surface is so slick it can be awkward to engage. Very good quality though.
:doh:

Cruizer

I use a $17 NEC throttle lock. It's a generic, and I think there's two or three "styles" so you can get the right size and configuration for your bike. The #4 (I think, can't remember right now) fits the 'Zuk Strom.

Vista Cruise. You can do the same thing with the Bandit. I modified it to work on the FJR.

VistaCruise.jpg

I used a throttlemeister on my FJR. Easy, out of the way, and added weight for the bar ends for less vibrations.

+1

I really like it and it works great on my 1250

I use a Throttlemeister too, love it. Also gets rid of that free-play in the throttle from side to side that some Bandits have and is really annoying.

I mounted a Nep which is much like a Vista Cruise. Took some modifying and messing with to get it to work. Like grind down the flange face to fit in the gap, file down the hook to go on the lower cable cause the upper cable would put the lever into the tank then still cut down the lever for tank clearance. It still won't adjust completely right as to not drag when disengaged and still hold position when engaged. Different bars, mounts and grips could of contributed to some of the **** factors. I suppose it was cheap and sorta works.

I mounted a "Universal Vista" cruise control this morning to my 1250. After looking at a less expensive alternative, I returned it and paid ten bucks more for this one. It's substantial, and it takes up a bit of room on the grip. I suppose I could have cut away the inside flange of my new Gel hand grip to give me a little more grip to hold onto, but it'll be a simple matter of getting use to it being different.

After my cruise control installation, I then set to work on some DL650 hand guards. I puzzled over a couple things, maybe varied from the instructions a bit (as per an install onto a WeeStrom), and had to look through my tool box for a fat spacer for my clutch side. They're on, they don't look bad.... in fact you might even say they match the lines of our 1250's body work.

I have to get ready for work soon, so a test ride will have to wait. I'll be receiving my black powder coated Genmar bar-backs Monday. They will bring my inch lower GSX650F handlebars up and back for me, and secured in place with a Dale Walker (Holeshot) billet black handlebar brace. The grip angle is better than the OEM handlebars, but I found out I actually enjoyed (and rode better) with the handlebars closer to me.

I also put on a Suzuki luggage rack earlier in the week, with the hope of eventually buying a top box (and the rest of the luggage, someday). In the meantime, I have a wannabe top box strapped in place and some soft luggage hanging off the sides. I believe before I seek out more power from the engine, suspension will have to be addressed.... and I won't be doing OEM shocks from off another bike, they're gonna hafta be good after-market components that I won't regret having kicked the money down for.

i spent a couple hundred trying throttlemeister and manic salamander- the best BY FAR was a $18 NEP- the vista didn't work was too think- the NEP (made for late model suzuki- model) works flawlessly

Throttlemeister for me. Been using one for the last 300,000 miles on touring bikes. But use a NEP on my dual sport ones.

Another Vista Cruise here. Although, I did make a different break drum for it, the one that came with it took up too much room.

Img_0661.jpg

I paid the big bucks for it, it works, I've now gotten used to it..... and it'll stay on the bike. Sure is nice being able to set it while I adjust my gloves, mirrors, whatever:

DSCN6483Small.jpg

You could always try the "poor mans" cruise control. It is simply a rubber o-ring that you slip over the grip and into the groove where the grip turns. Bikers have done this for years, look it up on google. I have done it before and it does work very well.

Bill

go to breakawayproducts.com , it is a nice setup. alittle pricey but works well and dis-engages by hand or just tapping the front brake.

go to breakawayproducts.com , it is a nice setup. alittle pricey but works well and dis-engages by hand or just tapping the front brake.

$200!!! At that price why wouldn't you purchase a true speed holding vacuum or electronic cruise control?

same reason you buy a $650 header, $500 fairing, $800 in luggage, a $500 seat, $250 sliders, $200 for a good heavy duty throttle lock that works well and doesnt require figgiting with all the time or running hoses/wires is fine for me.

I'll stick with my throttlemieser. Been kinda spoiled to them for the last 150 or so thousand miles. Put a little drag on the throttle on ruff roads to help with throttle control. Loosen all the way for fine feeling response. Tighten a bit more for hands off stuff. After you get used to it, it's hard to be satisfied with anything else for me. I tried a few others but came back to it.
But, everyone has their different views and wants.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Let me see if I understand, these are devices like cruise control on a car, only instead of a gas pedal you don't have to maintain a twist on the throttle?

It just locks the throttle to one position. Works well on relatively level ground, not so well on hilly terrain.

It just locks the throttle to one position. Works well on relatively level ground, not so well on hilly terrain.

Gosh, I was just getting all excited about larger diameter grips :)

Back