• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R1200R perfmance mods

Sheep

Reaction score
BMW R1200R performance mods

Just installed a full Remus exhaust and Dobeck TFI on this '08 bike (7300mi) last weekend.

I've had the polished SS 19" Powercone slip-on installed for a couple months with the dB killer removed. The bike was not loud at all, even with the sound killer out, but after installing the header the sound level jumps about 20% I'm estimating. Doesn't sound "boxerish" as much; has more "crack" to the firing pulses. I don't have any sound clips and doubt your average cam would pick up the character change of the exhaust. Remus does offer a 17" slip-on, but installing one of those would really make the thing bark. Install of entire system is extremely easy; everything fits and no leaks. Deliberately chose not to install the very high tension springs since it's tight already.

As for the Dobeck, it eliminated about 50% of decel popping which accompanies a bonestock exhaust. It eliminated about 70% of popping after the install of slip-on only. The Gen 2 TFI module for this model is very easy to install, and additionally removes much of surging. There is no need for dyno tuning as Dobeck offers a couple settings for stock & typical exhaust upgrades. The OEM filter was changed out for a K&N.

Though having not dynoed this bike, I had a Dobeck on a previous Bandit 1250, and can estimate perhaps 10hp tops with add'l torque boost at the rear wheel. The power is very noticeable when full on at 4000rpms up. There is perhaps a 15lb weight loss advantage with Remus over OEM. Currently running fuel mileage tests; so far mileage seems unchanged. It sure is a LOT more fun to drive now, particularly after mounting Mich PR2's. If you have any questions, fire away.

Here's 2 views:
Remusmuff3.jpg

Remusmuff1.jpg

Installed shorty Pazzo levers (fairly clear on blue pic below) and an 18" Cee Bailey screen for colder months and/or long trips.

Re: BMW R1200R performance mods

Cool add on to your boxer. I run a two brothers pipe and not sure if it added power but it does sound good.

Thanks for comments. Actually the headers shown on the pics up top are the factory ones as I hadn't yet taken shot with them mounted... but the Remus headers look same since they burned up really quickly.

Forgot to mention that the tuning module uses all BMW harnesses for the O2 & F Inj and snaps right into existing factory wiring; it's all plug and play.

Here is shot with the header mounted (more recent custom paint); it tucks up close just like the factory version. The pipes are not blued, just darker golden brown. The blue near cyl head is reflection from the paint off fender; 3500mi on pipe at this point and holding steady for last 2500. If it starts to look ratty down road, will just Jet-Hot header with Sterling.
BlueSprt3.jpg

I've never much cared for the naked oil heads, but that is a sweet looking ride.
What did the exhaust set you back?

Response:
Thanks, BD Dude, and.... Way too much! But the bike pulls harder now in its powerband with the full Remus & TFI. Not too loud on full throttle; superb mellow tone at steady speeds.

Searched & searched but couldn't do any better than $1200. No sooner got it here, and found another place (memory blank on that) offering the header $100 cheaper. The Staintune was way too much, the Ztechniks were less, but preferred the MotoGP look of this one. I'll bet in a year you'll find it under a grand. All make very similar power claims.

Bike was custom painted (base + 4 coats of clear) with textured side of hardbags matched. I have Givi 35's, and can pull/mount the brackets in 15min when ready to do the longer rides... best of both worlds with this bike. The Givi's are a little more compact than OEM's and actually give bike better lines since it's not an RT.

Here's several pics with the 18" Cee Bailey which can be swapped with the OEM sport screen for sportish look in 5 minutes. The CB makes significant diff in cold months, yet it's great for summer touring and the "elements."

CeeBailey18-5.jpg

CeeBailey18-1.jpg

CBlySptScrn1.jpg

From what I have seen the bluing on your pipe sugest you might have been running lean before your TFI install. One question, did you buy or need the
O2 bypass for the TFI? If so, have you had any FI light issues? My TFI and countless other Dobeck users have had a ongoing FI light issue with the Dobeck O2 bypass. Now that temps have dropped it is not as much of an issue but I just thought I would ask.

Nice ride, I have noticed that most boxers have blue on their pipes but the TFI should richen up the mix some and conteract that issue.

Cheers,

Mark

There is/was no "lean" condition as the TFI was installed at same time as the header. Browning will occur within first hour of riding!!! The pic at very top is after ride home; the pic at bottom with larger windscreen is after a month of riding so you see there is really not much diff between the two. In fact, the factory pipes with stock tune brown up (as opposed to blueing) discolor faster than the headers do, though eventually they'll both appear same. ALL R1200's discolor their pipes very quickly, much faster than I see on the Jap bikes, probably in part due to air-cooled motor. The only way to get around this, which I had wanted to do and actually got estimate from Jet-Hot, was to have them ceramic coat them inside & out with Sterling finish. Since I'm ready to have some powdercoating/painting of bike in near future, I'm not bothering with getting the headers coated yet.

On these bikes, there is no need to buy or use an O2 bypass (or O2 sim like on late Hayabusa) such as I had on the B1250 with DW's Stg 1/2 tuning kits. The Bandit was much less complicated to work with as these recent German CANbus electronic systems. The CANbus bikes really don't allow for manipulation by tapping into electronics due to way they're wired; I don't fully understand it. The allowance for the O2 sensors are built right into the TFI module; they use snap-in harnesses just like with the fuel injection. There is no way to plug a PAIR valve to completely stop popping on decel with the Beemer, though it's a little better now with TFI than before when I first installed the slip-on. Even a totally stock BMW will pop on decel more than on other brands.

There is one small Texas company that has designed computer chips for BMW's to improve performance by actually removing OEM chip and snapping in new one (amazingly, not soldered in), but that absolutely would nullify the std 3-yr warranty you get with these bikes if BMW finds out. And current chip tuning doesn't offer any more gain than with a Dobeck or PC.

Hope this helps.

Back