• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Race Tech Fork Springs & Gold Valve Installation

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I removed my forks yesterday morning and tore them apart to install the new Race Tech compression Gold Valves and straight wound fork springs on my 1250S Bandit.

Removing the forks is not hard to, and the entire process took me about 1 1/2 hrs to remove them from the bike and completely disassemble the fork tubes. The forks have a little over 18,000 miles on them and I was surprised that the oil didn't look that bad when I drained it out.

Once the forks were off the bike I found out that I could remove the cartridge assemblies from each fork tube without having to completely disassemble the fork tubes, as after seeing how clean the oil looked when I drained it out and the fact that the seals are still in excellant shape and mot leaking, I saw no reason to replace them at this point and I will probably change them at the end of next year.

Just to let everyone know that once you have a the forks off the bike and the oil drained and the cartridge assemblies removed, the time required to remove the dust wipers and seals and install new ones only take about 10 minutes at the most providing you have a seal driver, of which I already have a custom machined one made out of aluminum.

With the cartridge assemblies removed from the fork tubes you will want to pump the damper rod back and forth until all of the oil is removed from the cartridges before removing the compression valve body.

Once you have done that, all you need to do to remove the compression valve body is to push the valve body into the cartridge tube about 1/4" then using a small spring hook, grab one of the ends of the steel wire snap ring in the end of the cartridge tube and remove it, making sure that it does not fly across your garage as it's small and will be hard to find if it does.

Now you screw the 8 mm bolt that you removed form the bottom of the lower leg into the threads on the cartridge valve and use it to pull the valve out of the cartridge tube.

The stock compression valve assembly is on the left and the Gold Valve compression valve assembly is on the right, and if you look closely you can see the #55 oil bleed hole I had to drill thru one of the ports on the Gold Valve per Race Tech's instructions.
537a78a90ad86dc68ab0a2954136194b0_large.jpg

I always make all of my own custom tools when working on my bikes, and I have made many different ones over the years and I made up two custom tools yesterday to help me properly work on my forks.

The first tool I made yesterday was a split aluminum clamping block to hold compression valve body so that I could remove the loctited screw that attaches all the parts to the valve without damaging the outside of the valve body, and I simply clamp the block in my bench vise to easily and securely hold the valve body while I worked on it.

Once you have assembled the compression valves with the new Gold Valves and valve washer stack, you can install the valves back into the bottom of the cartridge tubes and install the wire snap ring. the cartridge assemblies are now ready to install back into the forks.

I found the installation of the Gold Valves to be a very easy and straight forward procedure providing you have the proper tools and experience in performing this type of work.

The next part of this project involved installing the straight wound Race Tech fork springs that are replacing the progressive wound stock fork springs.

Installing the springs was very easy to do as I already had the fork tubes off of the bike to install the Gold Valves, which required me to remove the fork springs to begin with. There is absolutely no spring preload to speak of on the stock fork springs, so removing the forks caps was very easy.

Once the fork caps were unscrewed, you will need to screw the preload adjusters in far enough into the caps so that you can get a wrench on the flats on the bottom of the adjuster so that you can get a 14mm open end wrench on it to hold it while you use another 14mm wrench to loosen the locknut on the end of the damper rod.

Once you have removed the fork cap from the damper rod, you remove the special dished washer, spring spacer and then the fork spring from the fork tube.

The new straight wound Race Tech fork springs are about 3 7/8" shorter then the stock fork springs and require new longer spring spacers. Race Tech supplies a piece of aluminum tubing to make the longer spring spacers, so after performing the calculations I determined that I needed 5" long spring spacers to give me the correct spring preload with the new springs.

I rough cut the aluminum spacer tubing to lenght, then machined the ends square and to the correct length on a lathe and then deburred the ends of each spacer.

Here is a picture showing the longer stock spring and spacer and the shorter Race Tech spring and spacer.
3d6552b89eb88c6bdc96339c707783110_large.jpg

I also went ahead and pulled off the triple trees to grease the tapered roller bearings and I'm glad I did as they didn't have much grease in them. So performing this made me machine up another custom tool yesterday, which is a special spanner wrench for the lower steering stem locknut.
a5965524e5d0f0107d83eb92483247ab0_large.jpg

I have machined quite a few similar spanner wrenches like this before and like all the rest I made this one out of steel, and I machined a hex on the end of it so that I could use a 24mm, 1/2" drive socket on the end of it.

I also had to construct a simple but effected frame support out of a 2 x 4, as once I lifted the front of my bike up with my Pit Bull front lift which raise’s the bike with a pin that fits into the hole in the bottom of the lower triple tree, I needed to have some kind of support that I could place under the front of the frame to lower the bike onto so I could remove the Pit Bull lift and remove the lower triple tree from the bike.
ed6f68de34ee7d6b368f3c89cc4addc60_large.jpg

It's raining here today so I am going to spend the day putting the forks back together and back on the bike, and it's supposed to clear up tomorrow so I should be able to take it out for a test ride.

I have done all of this type of work before on many other motorcycles so it comes pretty easy to me, but all of these things I did can easily be performed by anyone who has good basic mechanical abilities and the right tools and a factory service manual. Just take your time and don’t get in a rush.

So within the last week I have completely serviced the front and rear suspension on my Bandit, and I also cut off the reflector lugs on each fork leg and smoothed the area down which looks a lot cleaner. :rider:

Very good write-up, Bandito. You have great skills. :)

Bandito - nice write up.

Now here comes my ignorance (more than usual).

I thought the Gold Valve installation would give the Bandit some adjustable dampening on the forks. I don't see that in your write up. Clearly, I do not understand fork technology but will by the spring.

Can someone chime in here on what I am missing?

Also, what is Racetech's calcuation for the 5" tube spacer for you? What is the formula?

Phil

Bandito - nice write up.

Now here comes my ignorance (more than usual).

I thought the Gold Valve installation would give the Bandit some adjustable dampening on the forks. I don't see that in your write up. Clearly, I do not understand fork technology but will by the spring.

Can someone chime in here on what I am missing?

Also, what is Racetech's calcuation for the 5" tube spacer for you? What is the formula?

Phil

None of the Gold Valves that Race Tech sells including the kit I installed as well as their Gold Valve emulators offer full external compression dampening adjustablity, and the only way to adjust the compression dampening on the Gold Valves if it is not to your likeing is to pull the damper assemblies back out of the fork tubes and change the makeup of the shims in the valve stack.

I am initially going with Race Techs c35 valve stack specs, which is #5 in dampening stiffness out of the 9 valve stack specs they recommended for the Bandit.

So once I take my bike out for some test rides, there are 3 things I may end up needing to adjust to tune the ride to get it the way I want and they are, the amount of spring preload, valve shims and the oil level in the forks.

A far as determining the amount amount of spring preload to use, with the cartridge installed in the fork, you drop the fork spring into the fork tube and place a spring washer on top of the spring.

You then extend the fork completely and measure the distance from the top of the spring washer to the end of the fork tube.

You then set the preload adjuster in the fork cap to it's minimum setting and screw it back onto the end of the damper rod. Now place the cupped upper spring washer on the damper rod just push it up against the locknut on the bottom of the fork cap, just as it is when the forks are assembled.

5428559bf666460d69b83b350eea5cf30_large.jpg

Now you measure the distance from the bottom edge of the fork cap that sit against the end of the fork tube to the bottom face of the cupped washer that sits against the end of the spring. You then subtract this measurement from the measurement from the top of the spring washer to the end of the fork tube.

This is your zero preload measurement to which you are going to add the amount of preload you want, and this is now the lenght of your new spring preload spacers.

Race Tech recommends between 5/8" and 1 1/4" of preload for most street bike applications, but like they say these are just guidelines as there are no hard and fast rules concerning the amount of preload you want to use, as everyone likes are differant and the amount of preload also has a lot to do with how much you weight and how much extra weight you typically carry on the bike.

If you end up having to use more than 1 1/2" of preload it could be an indication that your spring rate is to soft and you need to go to a stiffer spring. Another thing thats important to remember is that increasing or decreasing the preload does not change the rate of the spring, it only changes the amount of force required to get the forks moving as in hitting a bump in the road.

I have found over the years working with Race Tech's springs and Gold Valves that thier starting settings are usually a little on the stiff side for me, so I tend to set stuff up on the softer side and go from there, and I am starting out with 3/4" of preload and the preload adjusters in the caps will give me another 3/8". :rider:

Another simple, handy tool that I made a few years ago is a dampening rod holder in the bottom of the picture, which is drilled and tapped on the end with a 10mm x 1.0mm thread and screws onto the end of the damper rod as the damper rod can drop down into the fork tube and be hard to grab a hold of to pull it back up.

It also works great for moving the damper rod in and out when bleeding the cartridges when filling the forks with oil after a rebuild as well as installing the cupped spring washer on the top of the spring spacer. :rider:

40eca0c3deb5776ecbbe5011f6afb2b10_large.jpg

Nice work! I wish you lived closer to me I could use some suspension training. I usually ship my GSXR stuff off to Thermosman suspensions which is basically Ohlins USA in North Carolina. The Bandit is a rough riding bike to me. Severely overlly compressed on the forks.

Did I read correctly that you can install the racetech parts without complete dissembly of forks. Would it be accurate to say then that you wouldn't even need to remove them from the bike? Just remove the handlebar, lossen the tripple clamps and remove the top fork caps and then pull the springs and cartridges?

Did I read correctly that you can install the racetech parts without complete dissembly of forks. Would it be accurate to say then that you wouldn't even need to remove them from the bike? Just remove the handlebar, lossen the tripple clamps and remove the top fork caps and then pull the springs and cartridges?

Yes you could remove the springs and cartridges from the forks without removing them from the bike, but you are still going to loose all of the oil out of the forks when you remove the 8mm bolt in the bottom of each lower leg that bolts into the cartridge.

Since I needed to remove the triple trees to grease the stem bearings I pulled everything off which is the way I prefer to work on my forks.

One of the problems I see with this is it will be very hard to get an accurate oil level measurement with the forks sitting at an angle.

When I stated that you can install the Gold Valves without completely disassembling the forks I was referring to the fact that you can remove the cartridges without having to separate the fork tube from the lower leg. :rider:

It would be hard to get an accurate oil messurement with the forks at an angle but don't the instructions give you an oil messurement in CC's? I have the kit in the garage but haven't looked at it yet.

It would be hard to get an accurate oil messurement with the forks at an angle but don't the instructions give you an oil messurement in CC's? I have the kit in the garage but haven't looked at it yet.

Using oil level is much more accurate than using oil volume, as oil volume does not take into account the amount of oil cling on the fork internals and you could end up with more oil than you want in the forks, and no, Race Techs instructions do not offer an oil volume amount for the fork oil. :rider:

After only putting about 50 miles since on my Bandit since I installed the new Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valves all I can say is what an improvement it is over the stock springs and compression valving, and I am very happy with the intial results.

The forks seem much more compliant over sharp edged bumps in the road and the front end doesn't dive nearly as much under braking as it did with the stock springs, and from what I can tell right now the valve shim stack arraingment I went with I went with for the Gold Valves as well as the amount of spring preload I used are just about perfect and overall the forks give a much plusher yet controlled ride than the stock setup did.

I'm going to really test the forks out this Saturday as me and a good friend of mine are doing a 450 mile round trip day ride from my house in Lancaster CA up to Scotty's Castle in Death Valley CA, and we've rode thru Death Valley many times and the route were taking has a lot of good sharp turn and big fast sweepers plus everything in between so I will get a chance to see how the forks work over a variety of road conditions.

I also cut off the reflector tabs on the back of the lower legs, and then very carefully hand filled and blended the area down and then blended the area in with a scotch brite pad and it came out real nice and looks a lot cleaner IMHO, and I installed a small red reflector to the upper tab on the lower legs. :rider:

c6ecabf4c2d7be8a8b352763cded3a590_large.jpg

Still all eyes here on your fork job guy. My main grip about the bandit front is the harshness over little sharp bumps that we have an abundance of in south most Louisiana.
I had went to progressive springs and 5 wt oil to help this out on my DL1000. Was planning on doing the same to the Bandit next front tire change. But, if this gold valve and spring set up work well for you I'll most probably go that way.

Thanks for all the input you have shared with us on the workings of your bike. Really starting to look like a one off custom now. Fine job.

Still all eyes here on your fork job guy. My main grip about the bandit front is the harshness over little sharp bumps that we have an abundance of in south most Louisiana.
I had went to progressive springs and 5 wt oil to help this out on my DL1000. Was planning on doing the same to the Bandit next front tire change. But, if this gold valve and spring set up work well for you I'll most probably go that way.

Thanks for all the input you have shared with us on the workings of your bike. Really starting to look like a one off custom now. Fine job.

Thanks, and we here in California also have an abundance of sharp little bumps. I have replaced the stock progressive wound springs in 4 bikes with Race Tech straight wound springs and personally I think they ride nicer. Pretty much all of your full on sport bikes as well as factory race bike all use straight wound fork springs. :rider:

Thanks, and we here in California also have an abundance of sharp little bumps.

louisiana has california beat in the bump dept.
they pay full time employees to go around and fill potholes and make bumps out of them, then the steady rain makes singing roads out of all the sections between them.

i dont know of any good roads, surface wise in louisiana, unless its a brand new one on the edge of town. laughs.

i dont know of any good roads, surface wise in louisiana, unless its a brand new one on the edge of town. laughs.

You need to see what they are doing to some gravel roads now. They were smoother being gravel rather than the tar and gravel job they are doing. You very much want to make sure your bladder is empty. And, standing on the pegs in some sections :rofl:

El Bandito:

Any update on the front end springs, valves, and oil installation a few weeks after the work? I am guessing Santa will place those very items under my tree just in time for a 32 degree garage installation!!!!

PhilS

Inquiring minds wanna know how the gold valve set up is working for you now that you have more miles on it. ;-)

Inquiring minds wanna know how the gold valve set up is working for you now that you have more miles on it. ;-)

Sorry for not getting back to you guys about my fork upgrade, but I just got my computer back on line today after being fixed due to some virus I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Anyways, I like the action of the forks better than they were and I but I am still going to do a little more tweaking on the valving as well as the oil level and possibly the oil weight also here in the next month or so. But so far its a much better ride than before. :rider:

I know Dale and Rick are working on a Bandit specific Racetech setup. I "believe" it's the G2R valves with the springs, but how the valves and oil are "set up" will be the key. I am trying to avoid the multiple tear down and rebuild scenario.

The problem I've run into before on these set ups are they are mainly designed for track and smoother roads. Not for everyday riding on beat up roads. Bandits main problem is compression dampning. As in way to much.
I played with Progressive springs and oil weight and height on my DL1000 and finally got it to my liking. But there is less travel on the Bandit to play with. Soften it up to much on entry and it bottoms on hard braking and bumps combined.
I'll probably start with Progressives on it also with 5 wt oil and go from there. Wait and see how the gold valves do in the long run and on what kind of roads before taking the plung there.

for my Gen 1 Bandit, GV + springs were huge improvement. Much more confidence & stability, especially in bumpy turns. One of the best mods

But I got to say my brother's new GSF-650 seems to be better stock than my B12 is mod'd. Will be interesting to know if it's big change like it is on a Gen 1 bike.

Does anyone know if the springs for the B12 and B1250 are the same? Not finding any for the 1250 on the web or I've just not found the right place. ;-(. ;-)

Back