PDA

View Full Version : Good Tire Prices Locally - Austin Area

kurt
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
While buying a $9 oil filter at Central Texas Power Sports, I mentioned that the only thing that burned me more than the price of maintenance items was the cost of tire mounting. While they confirmed that they got $64 to mount a tire "on bike", or ride in, they sold the tires at their cost. I priced some for the SV650 since I knew the sizes and prices online and sure enough, they were within $5 for a set from SW Moto. He confirmed that price holds even if you purchase them and mount them yourself. :twisted:

Tourmeister
04-08-2005, 08:32 PM
:tab That is rare. Most of the dealerships I have priced tires with wanted full retail. One guy actually expected me to pay $175 for a Dunlop 205 about a year or so ago. At the time, that tire was basically a holdover and I don't know that they were even making it anymore. It had been superceded by the D220. They were selling for about $100 online at the time. On top of that $175, they wanted another $65 to mount it on the VFR, one of the easiest bikes out there to do a rear tire change on :roll: It is hard to feel sorry for retailers losing business with this kind of thinking. If you have competition, figure out a way to compete or go out of business. Seems pretty simple to me :shrug:

Adios,

jiffy
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Check out cyclegear off of burnet. They are having a sale right now on tires I believe. They also mount tires cheap....but only off the bike. You should give'em a call.

blkshp
04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
:angryfir: I know how you feel I just paid $45 at the stealer to mount the rear on my bandit but luckily I already had the tire.

bluedogok
04-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Cycle gear charge $15 per tire off the bike for tires that you buy from them.

They have 20% off all tires in stock ending tomorrow.

whoa
04-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Cycle gear charge $15 per tire off the bike for tires that you buy from them.

They have 20% off all tires in stock ending tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch for posting this. Swung by today at lunch and plopped down an order for new tires even though I don't need tires at the moment. He gave me %50 off, and I really should go back and buy another set to store.

WoodButcher
04-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks a bunch for posting this. Swung by today at lunch and plopped down an order for new tires even though I don't need tires at the moment. He gave me %50 off, and I really should go back and buy another set to store.

Did you get something with a little more knob? I've been exploring 183a a little north of where we were before. Actually your current ones should be fine now that it is dry.

DaveC
05-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Cycle Gear tells me they use a spin balancer. The last set I had mounted I had bought from MAW online, Metzler 880 at $100 each with free shipping. Year end sale. Cost me $25 for the pair (off bike) out at Team Scream in Round Rock.However I have been looking at getting me a bubble balancer and do my own. Just got to break the bead loose ( you know, that easy part :roll: ). Harbour Freight, gots what I need.

Tx Rider
05-22-2005, 02:49 AM
I got one of these little wheel blancers..

Long link for cool balancer (http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=5115380.63098&pid=3000&product=T ools&count=1)

It'll roll over with just 1/4 oz. set on the tire, that's pretty sensitive.

Tourmeister
05-22-2005, 03:19 AM
:tab I like the cone shapes! On the rear wheel of the GS, one side has a larger hole than the other because of the single sided swingarm. So the tire does not want to sit on my balancing rod without leaning to one side. Those cones would work great for that. However, I have to wonder about the little setscrews that secure the cones. Would they not throw off the balance if you don't put them on opposite sides of the shaft?

Adios,

10-95
05-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I should probably start doing a lot morte than I do on my own stuff but it sure is easy to just drop it off.

I just got both my tires replaced and the rear replaced on the wife's bike at M&M in Bryan. The total for labor was $86.50. That is less than $30 to mount the tires and I didn't havce to touch it. :chug: Plus they lubed the chains and washed the bikes before they returned them. AND they are comparable to anywhere else I could find to order the Pirellis that I wanted.