• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TB sync'ng again

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Its been 6500 miles since I last did it so this past weekend I decided to check it again to see if I had movment. I have been noticing a little more vibration at 3500 rpms lately. I connected everything up, using Dale Walkers suck and snip on the IAP valve this time. That works great! much better than Suzuki's stupid dealer mode method. #4 and #2 werr slightly off not more than 32nd of an inch give or take a thickness of a human hair. I decided to screw it up on purpose so I screwed all the air screw in all the way, backed each one off 1/2 turn. Cranked the bike to check it and low and behold they were almost completely level:lol2: I went ahead and turned #2 and #3 just a little bit to level it up. I think I am going to get another balancer one with guages and no liquid.

Motion Pro sync pro for sale used 2 times make me an offer.

Its been 6500 miles since I last did it so this past weekend I decided to check it again to see if I had movment. I have been noticing a little more vibration at 3500 rpms lately. I connected everything up, using Dale Walkers suck and snip on the IAP valve this time. That works great! much better than Suzuki's stupid dealer mode method. #4 and #2 werr slightly off not more than 32nd of an inch give or take a thickness of a human hair. I decided to screw it up on purpose so I screwed all the air screw in all the way, backed each one off 1/2 turn. Cranked the bike to check it and low and behold they were almost completely level:lol2: I went ahead and turned #2 and #3 just a little bit to level it up. I think I am going to get another balancer one with guages and no liquid.

Motion Pro sync pro for sale used 2 times make me an offer.

Roy,

My brother is the western regenal sales manager for WiKa pressure gauges, so he is going to try and get me 4 precision dial vacuum gauges which I will use to contruct a new throttle body balancer to compare to the Motion Pro balancer and to also see if I like the way it works better.

I'm going to make a custom aluminum manifold to mount the gauges to and buy some small threaded hose barbs to connect the vacuum hoses to. :rider:

Roy,

My brother is the western regenal sales manager for WiKa pressure gauges, so he is going to try and get me 4 precision dial vacuum gauges which I will use to contruct a new throttle body balancer to compare to the Motion Pro balancer and to also see if I like the way it works better.

I'm going to make a custom aluminum manifold to mount the gauges to and buy some small threaded hose barbs to connect the vacuum hoses to. :rider:

Sounds like a good project. The Motion Pro product works okay but I can see room for improvement. I seem to have trouble with the fluid rising to high on the guages. Same thing happened on the 1st unit they sent me. It works but I would rather have a dial guage or somehting similar to the Suzuki unit which uses steel balls in glass tubes to get a reading. I have used the Suzuki unit and I really like it but its way expensive through Suzuki, like anything else they sell.

Keep us updated on the project. I'll need to check again in about 7500 more miles.:rider:

I'm at the 1,500 mile mark on a new '08. Changed the oil, tightened things down, inspected some stuff, kept my reciepts..... in short, didn't take it in for a $300+- 600 mile service (though already had to replace the tires with their under 3/32" tread depth).

It's suggested to check/balance the TB's on CA models at this 600 miler. I'm under the impression that it's still running smoooth, no obvious vibration. Jus' wanna buy some time before taking it in to have a trained eye/"qualified tech" look things over.

How often has it been found that the TB's are in need of attention early in the game, how often thereafter, and what (if any) are the obvious signs that they may be out of sync?

How often has it been found that the TB's are in need of attention early in the game,

A lot of these bikes seem to make it out of the factory (and past PDI) with imbalanced throttles. So, in answer to your question, very often!

how often thereafter, and what (if any) are the obvious signs that they may be out of sync?

I'll be doing mine every service but I think it's recommended by Suzuki every other service. What do they know, though? They can't even do it right themselves....... Obvious signs are rough running (at idle and when riding) and surging. Also possibly poor fuel consumption. But if yours is running OK then you're probably one of the lucky few who got a reasonably well-set-up bike.

TB service intervals for the 1250 are 7500 miles except the California model does have the 1st one at 600 miles. After that 7500 miles. They do not get off that much once set correctly. It only takes one to be off a little to get a small amount of vibration at the 3500~3700 rpm range. If its velvet smooth at 3k rpm's chances are its in spec. That is the way I test mine with seat of the pants. Even smooth at 3k you will still have a little vibration at the 3500~3700 range but if its not smooth at 3k you'll certainly feel it in the 3500~3700 range for sure.

I just took the bike out for a 40 mile spin with it's new additions (gel grips, Genmar bar-backs, DL650 hand guards, Universal Vista cruiser, mirror extenders, and Suzuki luggage rack). Yeah, there's a characteristic four cylinder buzz..... eventually a bit numbing on the hands. So I watched the tach' for any specific rpm where the subtle buzz was apparent, but it seemed to be pretty consistant throughout the entire range. I'll be anxious to see if any sync'ing in the future will eliminate the slight buzz.

I'll tell ya one thang though, improved grip angle and reaching the bars with ease makes a BIG difference.

And readily available TORQUE is da bomb!!!

:rider:

I decided to screw it up on purpose so I screwed all the air screw in all the way, backed each one off 1/2 turn. Cranked the bike to check it and low and behold they were almost completely level:lol2:

This I find interesting as info from my local dealer (who got it from the national head office tech guy) the start point for a balance on the 1250 bandit is screwed in and backed out 1/2 a turn. I'm still trying to nail down a figure for balance level (eg 10inHG or what ever) but haven't yet.

I did my last one using the factory method plus disconnecting the GP switch (confirm 100% that the bike is physically in neutral if you do it this way yourself) and setting the vacuum to 25.5 cmHg - which is 10 inHg. I found my bike ran much better at this level. I'm curious to see if it runs better with a different reading (say 24.5 cmHg)

On a side note I've discovered a possible reason for my bike surging/hunting. Have a look at this thread on a different forum. The 5th post on page 2 and onwards details what I've discovered. Not 100% sure if it's the answer, but I think I've getting real close.

Back