• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

abs system on GSF 1200 SAV

Reaction score
hi all, there's an intro in here somewhere from the other day from me. still gotta work out the uploads, keeps telling me it doesn't like the model or the aussie sun, dropbears or somethin' weird, anyhows ... whats buggin' me at the moment is a simple jobbie like a hydraulics overhaul has turn into a 3 week nightmare. theres a little of the drama over on the mysuzuki pages.
is there anyone in here who has serviced one of these systems?
bike is a 1997 GSF1200 SAV (first ABS model) and it belongs to my old lady. (she reckons it eats corners for brekkie) she's pretty upset with me but my hands are tied. cannot find a mechanic, even a recommended suzuki trained one who knows anything about this system!
i've overhauled everything from bevelled dukes and bsa's, waterbottles and ram air 550's but this thing is ......... no words descibe it.
so if there's anyone who can shed some light on the hydrualic unit solenoid valve (and the one way valve) and it's known operation (page 9-20 in the original workshop manual) it would be much appreciated. i can update anyone on the problems in detail by email, it's a little long winded for a forum post.
by the by, there's no way i'd EVER buy one of these "black box" systems again.
reasons:
1. hopeless in the dirt / gravel
2. takes all the "feel" out of the front lever. you cannot feel the pads on the calipers, nor sense any usual behavioral characteristics compared with standard or mechanical drums. "set up" is a laugh. emergency stopping is ridiculous, apexing is hilarious.
3. you really need a computer AND the suzuki software programs to manage the thin.
4. almost impossible to overhaul yourself without a million $ workshop.

if i'd have taken this bike round the world i wouldn't have made it out of british columbia !! (bought the GS in vancouver)

cheers

Many BMW owners buy braided brake lines and bypass the the ABS altogether, running it directly from the caliper to the master cylinder.

big ta for that kurt, now thats about the 3th person who's "suggested I bypass it". even the suzuki workshop head spanner in brisbane, after half an hour of grilling him said quote "but i can't advise you as an authorized suzuki agent to do that"
still can't believe there's nobody on the planet (that i've met yet) who knows the nuts and bolts of this system,
maybe it really is just a throw away item.
cheers

still can't believe there's nobody on the planet (that i've met yet) who knows the nuts and bolts of this system,

How is your Japanese. :mrgreen: I hope someone at Suzuki still remembers it.

First ABS systems in cars were not that great, increasing the stoping distance, acting too early. Modern systems are a different thing. Thanks in big part to computing power. 10 years is a lot for electronics.

I am with Kurt. I rather have a basic but reliable system than a fancy but unreliable (specially when it comes to slowing you down).

Good luck

Back