• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Free Camping in Utopia... near 3-Sisters

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Scott
As long as I live, I will welcome campers from this forum on my property. This is NOT a commercial campground, so don't expect luxury. I keep an area mowed for campers (this is also open to PGR and BTK forum members) but have rustic wooded areas and a riverside area for camping. If you don't like to camp, but would like to meet others here, there are cabins at the property next to me for reasonable prices.

I have a nice clear river (Sabinal) on the property. It's about 8-10 feet deep and not muddy except for rainy days. There is a deck, a rope swing and a diving platform. I feed the catfish and there are usually some lunkers hanging around. There's also bluegill perch for the kids to catch.

I usually have some veggies growing in my mini-gardens and campers are welcome to pick what they need for their meals. Utopia has a little general store that stocks most of what you need for groceries, and a hardware store for most other stuff. There are three decent places to eat and a nice coffee shop.

Pics are on my signature below, as well as a text file I update when needed.

Please feel welcome to stay here, small groups or large. Just have the courtesy to give me advance warning that you are coming (of course you'd never find me without directions!) Please, no dogs. I have three but they don't eat my chickens!

Oh... you'll need your own tents and camping gear.

Cool Ed, thanks for the generous offer. Utopia lays between me and Big Bend so I may take you up on that on one of my excursion.

Tom

Hoople, can it accomodate a small pop-up camper, or is it for tents only? We'd love to take you up on it to and have both! How do you feel about kids?

Oh, Pooh... this place was made for kids. One of my favorite sounds is the kids having fun down at the river. Yes your camper is welcome, no matter what size. I don't offer it as a RV park though, because of legal issues, but exceptions can be made.

Also if you have special circumstances, indoor accommodations can be arranged. My sister is building a campground farther up the dirt road and has a cabin we could borrow just for special situations. I just don't want to take advantage too often.

You are alright dude, I need to swing by just to meet you on my next trip down there.
You might know a buddy of mine 'Toad' that I need to see too, PGR on a silver V rod.

Very kind of you to offer your place to TWTEXers, Ed. Good on ya :clap:

You are alright dude, I need to swing by just to meet you on my next trip down there.
You might know a buddy of mine 'Toad' that I need to see too, PGR on a silver V rod.

Don't know Toad, but I'd like to meet him and his v-rod... I have a friend that just ordered a night rod and I'm so jealous I can't stand it. I wish I was rich like him (joking, he's prudent, not rich)

THANKS!! Can the mods make this some kind of "sticky"

Plan on meeting you early part of 09', w/ a good group of GS riders, when the river is warm enough to get a "bath" after a good day of riding!

JT Lake

Very nice offer. After seeing the pictures I am already planning a visit for next spring with my daughters. Do you mind non-bike related visits?

I'd say as long as you can gab with me about your bikes and your rides, you're ok by me. If you can load up your bike and bring it along, we'll find a way to help you unload. I'm even thinking about dozing up a kind of loading ramp/dock. The guys on BTK forum are helping me plan it.

ED: very nice! Wish we were close enough to accept your offer. Maybe some day!

Thank You so much for putting this out there. I travel that area a few times each year on my bike. I might give you a call and come by next spring.

Do you know any good dirt roads in the area?

Your offer goes way beyond "Paying it Forward". Very generous of you. Good things come to people like you.

Many dirt roads for d/s rides but I can never say for sure where the new bumps will be. Sometimes you can follow your gps and find a fence gate across the road. I haven't wandered much on my little XT, just a few roads. We could print out some maps and explore though.

Pooh Bear and husband Dan came out to look at the area today and I really enjoyed meeting them. The place is looking a little grim with the onset of cooler weather... the cypress trees are still red, but dropping needles into the river and messing that up pretty badly... floating on top and turning the water murkey. Hope to meet more of you some day. The light freeze last night turned my pablano peppers in my garden smooshy... bah I had a feeling I should pick them.

Excellent. I love it when I see people generous enough to open their homes (or their fields) to total strangers and expect nothing more than a shared passion in return. Good for you Ed. I wish I could repay the gesture, unfortunately, my vacant lot sits in the middle of nothing, hehe.

Do you know any good dirt roads in the area?

oh and we do have some 'non-roads' but be careful please!

IMG_0233.jpg

as opposed to some other places you might find:

IMG_3303.jpg

Back