• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gearing?

Reaction score
I just completed lowering my bike 1 1/2", and lowering the front, so that now I'm flat-footed. It looks cool! :mrgreen:

Now for the question, has anyone changed the rear sprocket to 3 teeth higher. Is that the same as one lower up front? Is the trade-off for lower MPG's worth the higher performance? I'm 67 years old, but I still like the performance. :rider:

I just completed lowering my bike 1 1/2", and lowering the front, so that now I'm flat-footed. It looks cool! :mrgreen:

Now for the question, has anyone changed the rear sprocket to 3 teeth higher. Is that the same as one lower up front? Is the trade-off for lower MPG's worth the higher performance? I'm 67 years old, but I still like the performance. :rider:

Woo hoo! You go, girl (or guy, as the case may be)! :clap:

It gives some of us younger whipper snappers hope for the future.

Lee
(Who wishes everyone would fill out their profile more completely)

I'm not sure that anyone has gone to a bigger rear sprocket, but I know quite a few have gone -1 tooth on the front. It is the same thing to go -1 in the front as +3 in the rear, or that's the rule of thumb anyway.

Most seem to like it if you aren't doing lots of highway miles. I went down 1 tooth on my SV650 and it really woke that bike up... I can only imagine what it'd do to the 1250 with all the torque....

I'm actually trying to find a larger front sprocket for mine. I'd like to go +1 in the front and maybe +1 in the rear to balance it out a bit....

Oh yeah, we're going to need to see pics of that lowered Bandit :rider:

trey

My usual sprockets (which are technically not gears, BTW) for 1/8-mile drag racing on my ZX7R, are one tooth down on the countershaft and three teeth up on the wheel. The bike rev-limits at about 120 miles per hour, but goes almost a second faster down the track. I sometimes leave it that way for hooliganry on the street, but obviously never for a road trip or the like.

Last edited:
No harm done, it's all in good fun!!!:lol2:

Until somebody gets hurt! :doh:

Regarding posting a picture, you can either upload one (if you reduce the size) or you can upload it to Flickr (www.flickr.com) or another hosting site and use the "Insert Image" function on the icon bar of the "reply to thread" screen.

The thumbnail photo of my bike below was uploaded, for instance. There is a limit of 195.3 KB and 640 X 480 resolution for uploaded photos. You can link to much larger photos.

This imbedded photo is hosted on Flickr:

2968076786_179fa16231.jpg

Lee

Hey Beaver what kind of bike you trying to make quicker? I'm kind of partial to 3 more teeth in the rear. Chain and sprockets last longer.

One thing to notice about sprocket changing is that when you drop one (or 2, ect) in the front you will wear out your chain faster. If you add one (or 2,3, ect) in the rear you will help your chain wear longer. FYI

Mark

1 in the front is almost like 3 in the rear. I usually do 2 at a time in the rear. However, my Tuono 's OEM gearing was 16-40. Now it's about to be 15-42. I tried 15-40 but it still was a bit of a strain on the power train.....so going up 2 in the rear.

Well here's a photo of the bike. It's hard to see the 1 1/2" lower from the photo but trust me I notice.:trust:

The bike will have red-striped wheels real soon. The weather's no good for riding so I might as well putz with small stuff. I'm still deciding on what gearing I want. With lower gearing I could really perform the crowd would go wild, but my tires would be gone. On Social security it's too hard to buy tires. :rofl:

Attachments

• 362 Low res.jpg
    362 Low res.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 131
for lots of fun, go -1 front, +2 rear.....
my zrx loves to pull roll-on wheelies with that combo

Yeah, I should say so. My Rex has stock-sized sprockets, and it'll do roll-on wheelies as is.

Back