• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HJC CL-Max Flip Face Helmet - Rated

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
I've been curious as to whether or not I would like a flip face helmet for some time. When I bought the Concours, I thought this would be a good chance to try one out, so I bought a HJC (shown in red for contrast)
ICLMAXCRED.JPG

Now keep in mind, my point of reference is an Arai RX-7 Corsair Edwards Replica. So how does this $150 helmet stack up against a $600 Arai? A lot better than you would think. First of all, I went with the HJC because the Nolan and Scuberth were too round for my head. The HJC was more of a long oval like the Arai.

Positives?
Fit was very close to the Arai.
Very solid construction, nice Shoei style visor that is easy to operate and replace.
Plush lining very close to the Arai or other top helmets.
Low wind noise.
Very large (no make that huge) eye opening.
One handed opening for the flip-front.

Negatives:
Not Snell rated (no flip-face is I hear)
Not as well vented as the Arai (or as noisy)
Liner is not removable (heck, buy 4 for the cost of the Arai)

Overall, I like it a lot and would recommend it or the next higher level HJC Symax helmet (with better venting) to anyone.

I read a review somewhere of all the flip face helmets, not sure who did it, but they basically did the same things as Snell does to the helmets. More often than not, the Shoei model performed the best. Pricey though!!

Adios,

Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine - Seven Flip-Face Motorcycle Helmets Compared

From Snell
Flip-Up Motorcycle Helmets

The Foundation has received a barrage of questions concerning a particular style of motorcycle helmet. This configuration looks like a standard full face helmet but the front of the helmet is hinged to ‘flip-up’ and away from the wearer’s face. Everyone, including our own staff, is impressed with the convenience of a full face helmet that facilitates drinking a cup of coffee, smoking a cigarette and conducting normal conversation all without removing one’s hat. The flip-up style is especially convenient for anyone who wears glasses.

So how come none of these flip-up helmets are Snell certified? The short answer is that none of the flip-up helmets are certified because none of their manufacturers has submitted them for testing. The Foundation is ready to accept submissions of flip-up style helmets and will hold them to all the same test requirements set for traditional full face headgear. The chin bar will be tested for rigidity, the face shield must withstand the pellet penetration tests and, of course, the helmet must provide all the impact protection we demand of every full face and open face motorcycle helmet. Drinking coffee and cleaning eyeglasses without removing a helmet is very appealing but the Foundation is not ready to give up any protective capability for the convenience.

How well will these flip-up helmets do in Snell testing? We won’t know until we test them. My best guess is that the chin bar rigidity tests and the face shield penetrations tests will not represent any particular problems. Since most of the current flip-up headgear use standard chin straps and buckles and can be removed without lifting the face piece, I do not anticipate any retention test problems either. Impact testing may pose unique difficulties for this flip-up configuration but Snell impact testing poses difficulties for all motorcycle helmet configurations. In any case, the Foundation is not ready, now or ever, to trade off impact protection for convenience.

The Foundation urges helmet manufacturers to design and build flip-up helmets to meet the M2000 standard and to submit samples for Snell certification. We hope that interested motorcyclists everywhere will contact helmet dealers and distributors with the same encouragement.

Back