• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

murphy's steakhouse, winchester

Reaction score
This past veterans day, I took a ride to winchester to sample the fare at murphy's steak house

The weather was nice, and the ride pleasant on the way out. The turn off from 290 is fm2104, approximately 20 miles east of the Elgin HEB. 448 out of giddings if you're coming from the east.

This was my second trip, because the building is not well marked. The first time I figured it would be obvious but it wasn't although the cars and bikes could give a clue. 2104 was a nice ride, deserted, somewhat straight, and ran into the always pleasant fm 152 8 miles west of town.

The place was somewhat deserted at 2 pm, but hey, it was a work day for most. As I walked in, I thought for a moment I was in a time warp, very cowboy like, and of course everyone stopped to stare at the oddly dressed stranger before starting their conversations anew. Looked like the only patrons had migrated there from the local vfw.

Soon enough I was seated and served an adult beverage while I pored over the menu. If you check it, you'll find 3 sizes, 8, 10,and 12oz available in
several cuts. I don't eat as much steak as I used to, but I do remember
eating many a 1lb steak in the day, so the 12oz cut seemed manageable
if not smallish. I opted for the 12oz Ny strip, and hit the salad bar.

The salad bar was well stocked with the usual fare, and it appeared to have home made potato salad. I liked it enough to make several return trips
as the steak was cooking. I wished I had skipped a couple of those trips when the steak arrived. Jeez that thing was HUGE, I should've took a pic, but I would guess it was at least twice the advertised size COOKED. It was cooked to order too, and juicy. I resisted my knee jerk reaction to call for a doggie bag and decided to give it a shot. I'm guessing the Ny strip is a little tougher than the other cuts, at least mine was, but eventually I worked it down
by cutting thin slices and lopping off anything that had a hint of fat on it.
Luckily, the baked potato was only moderate in size. I was proud to have finished it, but I won't order that size cut again.

One would think the kicker would be this huge steak, fixins and a couple brewskis, was all had for less than $20, but the you would miss the ride home.
I could've took 152, but I had my eye on some dirt riding, so back north on 480 to 2239 west. It turns to dirt after crossing over 2104, and as long as you STAY ON THE DIRT you'll be treated to a nice ride back. Eventually leading into a back entrance to the state parks around bastrop. Missing the fees for the ride through. Kind of a magical place around dusk.

Train tracks close by
420350658_RNBea-L.jpg

Same building the post office is in
420350376_8UFxB-L.jpg

Next time I'll take more pics

All the years I have been riding thru Winchester and I never saw a restraunt , Only thing I saw was Marshas bar and since my X wife's name was Marsha I figured I was better off just passing on by . I need to check it out since the Cedar Creek inn closed up . SEYA

This is good to know info. Let's try it.
Also, nice bike. I have a similar one in red. If you ever want to make yours red, and I'll have the yellow, let me know. Thanks for the suggestion on a RTE. Hardy Baker

Eric,

I opened this thread just as I was leaving my office for lunch...my plans for a healthy salad are quished by your mouthwatering description of the steak you had!?!? I gotta have red meat!! ;-)

I live just a few miles from this place in smithville.
You cannot beat the quality and quanity of the grub in this place.
I spoke to Jack-in tx a while back about doing a RTE.
May just have to get one up myself.

Ron

was there friday for the first time. ive also passed by it on my way to work and never knew it was there.

look for the post office sign and turn there then about 30 yards in another turn. doesn't look like there was a parking lot just pull off on the side.

if youve got any gray in your hair and look like you spent time working in the sun you will fit right in with the clientele.

What they all said, one well kept secret. Looks like a RTE candidate for sure.:eat:

Yes, Ron rates this place as top notch. It's on my agenda, just not sure when. RTEs are easy, perhaps someone can post one for this place.

Just to follow up on this. We did a RTE down there a few weeks ago and I was very pleased with every aspect of this place.

The food was very good and and was delivered fresh and tasty. The salad bar was stocked with fresh items also.
The place was very clean and the wait staff did very well considering that we did not all show up at the same time. They did a great job of taking care of our group as we came in.

If you are one who likes out of the way places to ride with some good food as part of your day. I definitely would recommend you put Murphy's down on your to do list.

Swaping a red GS for a yellow GS

Eric, thanks for this post and more-so, thanks for riding to my shop and doing "the swap." Hardy Baker

Back