• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ensurance or Progressive -- which is better...

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Kuo
Changing insurance companies for the bikes, and the two lowest quotes I got were from Ensurance and Progressive. Progressive is slightly higher ($244 for basic coverage) as opposed to Ensurance ($215 for basic coverage), but I know that Progressive has an outstanding reputation. Don't know about Ensurance at all. Anybody here have experience with these guys??

-Kevin

I have geico at $328 year full coverage. Insurance varies due to where you live, how bad/good your credit is, marital status, how many unborn you have so its really hard to guage from others how much you should or should not be paying. My B-King is a whopping $732 a year full coverage with a $1000 deductible its alot worse with a $250 or $500 deductible.:eek2: My wifes '06 Honda S2000 sportscar is $1200 a year and it has not come down.

dont forget the gap, that little extra you can pay, if your bike is financed and new, so if it gets totalled, it pays the difference between what you owe, and what the bike is really worth.
i didnt have it, and the settlement was $174, in my favor.
so for paying on the bike a year, i barely got under the value of the bike after my accident.

i had progressive, and they paid up to $1,000 in accessories.
which basically paid me back for my gear, helmet jacket pants boots gloves, that were damaged. it doesnt pay the tax or shipping for them.

if my bike had more accessories, i am not sure what they offer to cover them.
i would ask, if you have a lot of accessories. (i'm thinking wheels shocks exhaust, but most common would be bags and box)

My wifes '06 Honda S2000 sportscar is $1200 a year and it has not come down.

I have Progressive on the bike and I'm happy with the rate, haven't tested the service yet. Well, yes I have. They send the bill out every year with on time.

My '03 S2000 runs about $850 a year at State Farm, so don't expect it to drop much.

I continued to pay a motorcycle premium with USAA even after selling my last bike. They're getting out of insuring motorcycles (as I hear many are), and were I to have let my coverage lapse, I would have been referred to Progressive. After having gotten a quote from Progressive (via Triumph of America), I already knew what my premium would be.

I shopped Geico, gave Progressive another call, and made a few more calls. Motorcycle insurance in my zip code is expensive, TOO expensive.

So with USAA I remain, my car, my house, and my motorcycle. I have affordable deductibles, I carry uninsured, I carry UNDERinsured, I carry more really than what I need.... but I fear the worst (for myself, for a passenger). I also carry supplemental insurance available through my union.... in the event I haven't enough sick leave to cover an injury that'll have me out for a long time.

It won't be the expense of tires, maintenance, oil changes & filters that will end my motorcycle hobby..... sadly, it'll be the inordinate expense of insurance (in this local) that may.

That said, go with somebody who has a known reputation for backing your play when you need 'em, even if it costs more.

I got Farm Bearau.? Don't remember how to spell today. I"m younger and through geico or progressive it was 160 a month! Which was more than the payment. FB was about 45 a month. So shopping around made it so I could even afford the bike. Insurance is such a scam most of the time. I've been really happy though with FB and ended up switching everything over to them.

Accessories....I didn't figure in that one. I've got a quite a few of those on the bike and my person...

-Kevin

Right before I bought the Bandit, I priced out full insurance (100/300, collision, $500 deductible) with Geico, Allstate, and Nationwide. Allstate was the best by far at $200/year. Geico was over $500 for the same coverage. YMMV.

My ins is with GMAC from Rider Mag. Been with them for about 13 years now. My Bandit ins really took a jump over what I had been paying for my R11GS, R11RA , R1150GS and DL1000. About a jump of 300 bucks a year with a 250 deductible. I'm at 630 a year with the main monies being in Comprehensive > 138 and Collision > 378.
Can U dig this. Bodily Injury Liability > KLR = 22.00 Bandit 19.00. That must mean I'm more likely to hurt me self on the KLR than the Bandit.
Property Damage is only a buck difference at KLR 11 and Bandit 12 . Passenger Lib is same on both at 22.00. And Under insured motorists at 61 buck on both bikes.

GMAC has a Accessory Coverate to 1500 bucks with a 250 Deduct.

Do most insurance companies consider the Bandit a sportbike or standard...or does it matter?? Just a curious thought;-)

-Kevin

It varies between Ins Companies. You can bet I'll do the research before putting up 600 for next year. Dang, that's half of what my '03 Chevy Trucks costs to insure. :eek2:

I think that the biggest racket in the insurance market now is the uninsured motorist coverage. It is a law that you have to have insurance, yet we all pay extra just encase some jerk is breaking the law. If my car/bike gets wrecked my insurance should cover it even if the other guy doesn't have insurance, then the company can fight that battle. That is just my opinion though.

Pleeeease don't make me research what I pay for my motorcycle insurance, I jus' wanna ride.... and Pink Floyd it (remain "comfortably numb").

Here's what I like about insurance.......

I quoted the Bandit before I bought it and got a 12 month full coverage low deductable, blah, blah, blah package with full accessories replacement, dancers, and so on from progressive and it charged out at about $393.........so be it.

When my wife and I went to buy the bike, she, who had never ridden a day in her life, decided that a 2007 Honda 250 Rebel (God help me!!) that was the same color as the Bandit was the bike she wanted and there was no realistic way I was leaving the dealership with only a Bandit.............so we bough two that day.

I called the insurance company and gave them the "good news" that we were now owners of not one, but two brand new motorcycles adn the driver of the second one was a new rider that had not even been through a MSF course or anything. I though for sure this would be similar to adding a 16 year old poor student boy to one's insurance policy!!!!!:giveup:

To my surprise, the quote came back at $295 - for the same coverage!!! Bottom line, I pay $100 LESS a year for adding another bike with another rider that had somewhat less experience than a toaster when it comes to riding cycles. As it turns out, actuarials have proven that people that own more than one motorcycle are generally safer and more experienced than those who only own one - go figure. Theoretically, I can pay for her bike in insurance savings of $100 a year over 30 years!!!!!!:lol2:

You got to love that. I sure a lot of you have experience the same phenom, eh?

In theory, if I bought 3 more bikes, my insurance would be free. I think I'll try.........

Hmmmmmmmmm, they would probably be....

GXSR1000 for short term fun, K1200RT for longer-time fun, and a Honda FT500 Ascot (cause I always thought those were kinda cool and a great thumper wheelie bike).

Honest to God,
I too was charged a less expensive premium when I had BOTH an '05 Triumph Bonneville AND an '04 Yamaha FZ1 parked in the garage..... than when I sold the Bonnie and had only the Fizzy.

( ! ? ! ? ! )

Sheesh! I had two bikes when I got the Bandit. I was trying to find my old DL1000 papers but must of chunked them already yes. I'd of hated to just insure the Bandit by itself. That was with multi bike and Advanced Rider Training discounts. ;-(& I hope to add a DR 650 next week to replace the KLR I sold so , will be interesting.

I use American Family Ins, looking at ~$350 year. I also have my 2 cars and home ins through them as well. Found out that now my ins jumped $20 a year for everything due to new law's seems that before each vehical had the $100,000 coverage but now with three vehicals each have $300,000 they added the coverage between all 3. Still, when we price coverage else where it was quite a bit more. I believe that we are paying $1140 every 6 months for full coverage on all three.

Mark

State Farm!

They mainly do cars, and so they don't really care about taking the time to do anything bike-specific...I know that sounds like a pan, but it isn't, here's the deal: they charge next to nothing for the bike, regardless of whether it's a sportbike or not. They give the same level of service that they do for cars = awesome.

Bascially, unless you have a bad record, the multiline discount almost pays for the bike and you get awesome State Farm coverage to boot.

I've had to use my insurance a few times (younger, stupider) and each time they've taken good care of me.

Just got my statement yesterday:

- USAA -
I pay $279.97 every 6 months for full coverage w/$500 deductable.
$300,000
$500,000
$50,000
That would be to include an additional $44.73 for Misc Veh Med Pay in the event I take a gal for a ride who may not have 'enough' coverage (you know, "cosmetic" & such).

Back