• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet lock

DRW

Reaction score
Anybody come up with an innovative, easy way (without taking the seat off)of securing a helmet or two??

Will depend on the bike model.

My Shadow has an external lock, while on my TL you had to pop the pillion or hump off.

I've seen people use cable locks around a part of the bike before. that may be an option.

I use one of these. Easy, quick, keeps the helmet at the bike.
346425949.jpg

Well I used a gun lock cable and it worked great till someone cut it!? I guess they really wanted my $190 lid.

I have seen them cut the strap to get the helmet, then sew on another , off a junk helmet, to what's left. Very sad indeed. Only way the helmet is secure is if you have it in your hand or have a very large piece of luggage to stash it in.

I left the question a little open, I forget this thread is part of a much larger forum. Specifically I'm asking about the Bandit. I use soft Givi bags with straps across the seat. It's a bit of hassle to get to the hangers.

Dirt cheap usable functional. Go to the local Police station and ask them for a couple of free gun locks. I have yet to go a Police station or Sherrif's Office that didn't have boxes of these! Small padlock with a cable and two keys works great it's durable and fairly tough and FREE!:clap:
SRAD

I left the question a little open, I forget this thread is part of a much larger forum. Specifically I'm asking about the Bandit. I use soft Givi bags with straps across the seat. It's a bit of hassle to get to the hangers.

I figured since you had posted it in the Bandit section , you was on a Bandit and not interested in how it worked on Harley, Triumph, BSAs, etc. . ;-).
Let us know how the Police station / gunlock thingy works out for U.

Specifically I'm asking about the Bandit. I use soft Givi bags with straps across the seat. It's a bit of hassle to get to the hangers.

A cable lock of some flavor is likely your easiest fix.

I do not like the cable type helmet lock on the 1250. My B-King has the same setup except it came with no cable, guess the dealer goon lost it. I prefer the helmet lock my V-Strom 1000 had the kind you put a key in and unlock. My V-strom 650 had the cable type lock and I hated that too. I usually don't lock my helmet I either take it in with me or leave it in my top Givi case. It will fit in the E460 top case sideways with nothing else in there. My GSX-R1000 has a stupid helmet lock you must attach the helmet to the rear seat cowl then attach that to the bike all while doing this with only two arms.:doh:

That was too easy, this forum is great. Thanks SRAD. I had a cable lock from a revolver purchased a few years back. I ran it from under the seat, there is a trough the lock sits in, the cable winds through the helmet hanger and extends out from under the seat enough so I won't have to take the seat off to secure the helmet. I'm using a plastic covered brass lock to secure the helmet to the cable. Here's a photo, check out the caution signs I saw while doing a little riding around the county.
DRWY

lovely.... I thought I might post a pic' of what I've mounted to various bikes, but I couldn't find an image. So I went out into the garage to mount it to the Bandit, seeing as how my hand was now forced.

I found it among my parts-is-parts, couldn't find the key, went to my stash of master keys and found one. Then I looked for a place on the bike to mount it and found an inconspicuous location on my luggage rack under the top box. Found a bolt of the right size and thought I could set to work.....

****, I think I left the base of the gizmo on my Aprilia! Now I gotta drive out to the neighboring town where I traded the bike in and see if I can take it off.... or search even harder in the garage for the base and the main key.

Okay, story over, this is what I'm talking about. You can get various length cables to either lock a couple bikes together, a smaller cable to run through the sleeves of your expensive leather jacket, or an even smaller cable to use as a helmet lock:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...olt_Lock_Corporation_Helmet_Lock_Kit___Chrome

Last edited by a moderator:
Back