• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tom Tom GPS - Any Good?

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
Thinking about a dedicated car GPS and have some questions. I've always owned Garmin, but after seeing a Tom Tom unit in a rental car recently, I'm curious. A little research indicates the maps may be more up to date and the interface a little more user friendly. What is the general experience of the membership?

What file format does Tom Tom use? Can I share routes with current Garmin devices?

You have to use something like GPSBabel to convert the formats. Not sure how good the conversion is though. In the past, Garmin maps were better than the Tomtom ones outside of cities. I don't know if that is still true.

I have a Tom Tom one 2nd edition. No complaints here. I like the interface, easy to use. Pretty accurate routing. Has a nice following for "aftermarket" upgrades software wise. I would recommend.

I picked up a TT One 3rd edition after seeing Kirby's above. I use it on the bike and works great for me. I use software called Tyre to handle my routes which works in conjunction with google maps. TT file extensions are .ITM. You can open other GPS files(Garmin) with Tyre and resave them for use on the TT but can't say about the other way around.

I use a TomTom Rider on the bike. Like Dutch does, I use Tyre software for routing sometimes, it is a little quirky though. Tyre uses Google Earth, not Google maps. TomTom is the big GPS manufacturer in Europe. The maps are not quite as good as Garmin maps, but the interface is nice.

I use a TomTom Rider on the bike. Like Dutch does, I use Tyre software for routing sometimes, it is a little quirky though. Tyre uses Google Earth, not Google maps. TomTom is the big GPS manufacturer in Europe. The maps are not quite as good as Garmin maps, but the interface is nice.

My version of Tyre will use either google maps OR google earth.

Does the Tom Tom have the capability for me to map out a route on my computer and transfer it to the GPS for my ride (with various stops at locations of my choice rather than having to go exactly as it directs)?

As far as ease of use and accuracy, my wife is a success story with the TT. She's by no means a gadget person, and she was able to figure it out right away. When we first got it, I drove it through various subdivisions and side streets in our area, having it recalculate the route along the way, and I was impressed with how well it worked.

The only gripe I have is that it doesn't do a very good job of showing you where you are if you don't have a route set. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but if you clear the route and just have it give you a position fix, by the time you zoom out enough to get a good overall map, all of the street names go away. I guess the small screen doesn't let it do much better than that. Overall, it's a good thing to get you from one point to another.

Does the Tom Tom have the capability for me to map out a route on my computer and transfer it to the GPS for my ride (with various stops at locations of my choice rather than having to go exactly as it directs)?

Yes, at least the TomTom Rider does. You have to use the Tyre software though, which is free. Or you can use the GPS to create the route in advance.

Thinking about a dedicated car GPS and have some questions. I've always owned Garmin, but after seeing a Tom Tom unit in a rental car recently, I'm curious. A little research indicates the maps may be more up to date and the interface a little more user friendly. What is the general experience of the membership?

I bought a tomtom XL (larger than standard) on an Amazon affiliate for $136.00 brand-new, and I love it.
I deliver building materials to new construction jobs for a living and I rely heavily on my GPS and it's flawless.
I also use it on my Bandit. I installed a 12v power plug on my inner fairing and I plug my GPS into it. It's guided me all over Montana, idaho, and Washington perfectly. I highly recommend them.

After some research and price shopping, I bought a Garmin 260W on sale for $129.

wow! Where? Garmin still lists that as a $350 product, and the reputable on line retailers have it in the $250 range. My 2610 is having issues that are causing me to begin evaluating a replacement.

Here.

http://www.avalongadgets.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1206128272

I wouldn't use it on the bike because it lacks a waterproof case and you can't download routes from Mapsource, but Rhonda only wants it to get her to a destination by the most direct route via a simple and intuitive graphic interface. She hates my 376c with a passion but liked my Zumo marginally.

Oops, that is the 260, the lowest price I can find now is $155.

Last edited:
guess I'm late to the party, but mom's TT 130s works great. a few minor annoying features that aren't huge, but still a bit annoying.

Kurt,
My job just bought all of us Tom Toms for our trucks. I already had been using the Garmin 26?? I had purchased from you for a couple of years. I used both of them for several months and I perferred the Garmin hands down.
Much smoother, much better at routing and a bread crumb trail.

I took the Garmin out and put it on my bike full time now.

Thanks for the great deal two years ago.

Kurt,
My job just bought all of us Tom Toms for our trucks. I already had been using the Garmin 26?? I had purchased from you for a couple of years. I used both of them for several months and I perferred the Garmin hands down.
Much smoother, much better at routing and a bread crumb trail.

I took the Garmin out and put it on my bike full time now.

Thanks for the great deal two years ago.

I bought a TT for my wife because it was easier for her to use. If I were buying one for the bike (or car) I would probably get a Garmin because of the breadcrumbs. I have found no way to find out where I have been with the TT. It is absolutely great at telling me where I need to go, but it can not tell me where I have been. Sometimes I like to just ride around, and it is impossible to remember all the roads you go down. With the Garmin, you do not have to.

That said, I think you get more features for less money with the TT, but it depends on what features you need (or want).

Tom Tom is okay but be careful of Tim Tim. That's his retarded brother that shows up every-so-often to send you on a wild goose chase. He will tell you to exit, go down a little ways then U-turn, go back and get on the interstate and continue the way you were going before.

Also, I've found that it takes a LOOONG time to find satellites if it's turn on a long distance from where it was turned off i.e. after a flight. It usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to figure out where it is when I fly to Little Rock. Last week, my buddy's Garmin took about 2 minutes in a parking garage. Once Tim Tim dies, I'm getting a Garmin!!!

Tom Tom is okay but be careful of Tim Tim. That's his retarded brother that shows up every-so-often to send you on a wild goose chase. He will tell you to exit, go down a little ways then U-turn, go back and get on the interstate and continue the way you were going before.

Also, I've found that it takes a LOOONG time to find satellites if it's turn on a long distance from where it was turned off i.e. after a flight. It usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to figure out where it is when I fly to Little Rock. Last week, my buddy's Garmin took about 2 minutes in a parking garage. Once Tim Tim dies, I'm getting a Garmin!!!

Do you connect it to your computer to download the updates? I do a couple of times a week, and one of the updates is a math algorithm that tells it where the satellites will be for the next few days. So far I have only had to wait a couple minutes at most, even after a flight.

Do you connect it to your computer to download the updates? I do a couple of times a week, and one of the updates is a math algorithm that tells it where the satellites will be for the next few days. So far I have only had to wait a couple minutes at most, even after a flight.

I usually update every couple of months. I didn't know that it would update sat info... I guess I'll have to start updating before I go out of town. Thanks.

I picked up a TT One 3rd edition after seeing Kirby's above. I use it on the bike and works great for me. I use software called Tyre to handle my routes which works in conjunction with google maps. TT file extensions are .ITM. You can open other GPS files(Garmin) with Tyre and resave them for use on the TT but can't say about the other way around.

Dutch
Can you give me a short instruction on how to use the Tyre route with the TT?
I downloaded, installed and copied a route to the TT and cannot find it...
Thanks,

Back