• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

flourex lights

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Last Name
hirsch
I just installed some 65 watt fluorex flood lights. They put out a very white light (6500 kelvin)*** and are supposed to put out the same amt. of light as a 500 watt high pressure sodium. Bulbs are supposed to last 13 x an incandescent light. They also have a photocell for dusk to dawn operation. (I have mine on a switch.) While designed for outdoor service, I plan on using some in a 30 x 40' garage. I think 3 will light that area up like daytime. They may need some electrical tape over the photocell. I was able to easily read a newspaper 45' away from one of the outdoor fixtures. Home Depot has them for $44.00 but I bought 14 of them for $25.00 each on Ebay, that included the shipping. There are also 28? watt ones at the Depot.
***I know, kelvin is a temperature, zero k is minus 273 c. Electricians are using it as a brightness measurement as well. These lights make a regular light bulb look as yellow as a bug bulb on a front porch!

Attachments

• dscf0098.jpg
    dscf0098.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 139
  • dscf0099.jpg
    dscf0099.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Going to sell the spares? ;-) I have two 90 watt floods pointing out into the backyard, but it doesn't cover all the ground..would one of these be better ya think?

Daylight is 5600 degrees Kelvin. Incandescent lights are 3200 degrees Kelvin.

Dragwn, I have a use for all that I bought, wish I could have purchased a few more at that price. They are advertised to cover a 40' x 40' area, I like to have them coming from opposite sides to eliminate blind spots. I set a second pole about 45' away and that gave me a nice area to work outside at night. While they are considered to be an "outdoor" lamp, I am sure they will enjoy a much longer life if they live under an eave of a roof. RH

Color temperature is not a measure of light "brightness", it is a simplified way to characterize the spectral properties of a light source.

Standard unit for color temperature is Kelvin (K). (The kelvin unit is the basis of all temperature measurement, starting with 0 K (= -273.16° C) at the absolute zero temperature. The "size" of one kelvin is the same as that of one degree Celsius, and is defined as the fraction 1/273.16 of the thermodynamic temperature of the triple point of water, which positions 0° Celsius at 273.16 K.)

Technically, color temperature refers to the temperature to which one would have to heat a theoretical "black body" source to produce light of the same visual color. A black body is a perfect radiator and absorbs electromagnetic energy at all wavelenghts.

Some typical color temperatures are:

1500 K Candlelight

2680 K 40 W incandescent lamp

3000 K 200 W incandescent lamp

3200 K Sunrise/sunset

3400 K Tungsten lamp

3400 K 1 hour from dusk/dawn

5000-4500 K Xenon lamp/light arc

5500 K Sunny daylight around noon

5500-5600 K Electronic photo flash

6500-7500 K Overcast sky

9000-12000 K Blue sky