• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coolant drip

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
I am still getting this drop or two of coolant from the overflow from time to time. Over flow tank is not over full. I have even traced the coolant through the maze of coolant lines to no avail. The over flow setup on this bike is very strange compared to other bikes. Seems it has an extra loop from the over flow bottle and even a "Y" before going into the bottom of the tank. Bike is not running hot, fan will come on but it takes a while. Radiator hoses are not extremely tight with pressure I would say normal. So what is this? I did notice back in the summer when I was balancing the TB's it pissed out a quarter size puddle during the process. I've seen dirtbikes do this and they had a cracked head or head gasket problem. I don't think that is the case on the Bandit it runs great and I am not loosing enough coolant to have to add any. Over flow tank level is always where it should be. I'm confused:doh:

Yours seems to be the only one reported with this problem.

Have you checked for air in the system? You may also want to do a compression check and leak down test to rule out a head gasket problem.

I doubt it's a head gasket since they normally cause more than a single drip or 2 from time to time. Still, it's better to be certain.

I have had this problem too but have narrowed it down to shutting the bike off when its hot. When i am riding the bike pretty good like i was during my ERC we would stop so frequently that i would shut the bike off before the fan would cut off and i would get a couple of drops out the tube, and i didnt get a hot temp light either, and then we had access to a large dock area here where we were doing wheelie runs and were hard on our bikes and when i stopped i let it run for about a minute and the fan was running but when it shut off i turned the bike off and there was no drips, I know of other liquid cooled bikes that when you turn the key off the fan will continue to run for a short time, but have noticed that the bandit doesnt do this. and mgiht be shutting be bike off before it can cool itself and causing it to burp alittle .

Weird thing is when it does drip I pop the seat and the coolant tank is at the full line so why would it be coming out the top over flow. I think it is that stupid design with the loop back tube causing it along with that "Y" inline to the bottom of the tank, I cannot see a reason for that at all. It goes against logic.

I have the same symptom, I tough my overflow tank was to full, but not, it's at the high mark.

So maybe 1 time out of 5 I see a drop on the floor when I leave in the morning.

May be I do too much wheelies and some fluid from the tank goes on the over fill tube

I knew others had this issue I recall it coming up in one of the older threads. I really do not think its a serious problem but more a design problem. The added loop back tube on the over flow bottle is just not needed in my opinion as is the "Y" that is inline before the bottom of the over flow tank. I also have observed the fluid being slung back to the cap when using the centerstand as the over flow tank is very shallow almost completely horizontal. So maybe I am slinging the fluid into the cap and over flow line crazy loop thing then it slowly works its way to the ground via the 10 miles of unnecessary tubing.:doh:

Roy, the only time I've ever experienced this (twice) was when my VTX1800C ate it's water pump (twice). I'd see a drip or two on the garage floor after a ride.... I stripped some things down and carefully looked at the water pump and there was a slow leak at the seams of the pump. VTX's are known to foul water pumps for some reason, and my bike only had 700 miles on it when it happened the first time. 2400 miles for the second pump. Must have been a bad batch or something - both replacements were covered under warranty.

Haven't had any problems with the Bandit and haven't heard of anyone reporting one.

Not a water pump issue on this unit but the 1st one I had picked to buy (it was red :mrgreen: ) was leaking at the pump shaft seal with zero miles on it. Needless to say I bought the black one over in the corner.

My Honda Shadow VT1100 would occasionally leak out a little coolant, and I would have to add a little from time to time. Then I noticed in the manual that the full indicator line was with the coolant hot. I had been filling it to the full indicator line when the bike was cold. Haven’t had a problem since.

Back